• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TR-Mission:Exploration of new worlds by Capt’n Wrongway Wendy-Complete

Wendy - AMAZING! I read this last night and kept waiting for the "to be continued" part to be added....and then fell asleep.

The pictures of the inside are absolutely gorgeous. You and the family must have had the best time just exploring and looking at all the details in here.

Can't wait to see more.

Yes sorry I was too tired and went to bed before I added the to be continued...

Your pics PIO when you go will be super fantastic! Really Barcelona was so much more than we were expecting.

Part 3

We went home for coffee and cake and a rest before deciding to go out to Montjuic for the afternoon, the hill that overlooks the city and the site of many events of the 1992 Olympics. Historically whoever controlled the peak, controlled the city. We took the easiest way up, catching the metro to Parallel.lel then the funicular and then the cable car to the “castle” (I’d call it a fort) at the top. There were nice views from the cable car

View over the old city

And the port

The local Laietani collected oysters near here before they were subdued by the Romans who erected a temple to Jupiter on its slopes. Since then dozens of rulers constructed and modified the Castell (built on top of a Jewish cemetery in 1640). In 20thC Franco made the Castell one of his interrogation headquarters. It was very hot up here as the fort is very exposed.

More views over the city from the fort’s ramparts.

DD and DH with the port behind.

We walked through the gardens down the hill but Wrongway Wendy kept getting lost so missed a couple I would have liked to have seen.

We skipped the art gallery of Miro not being a fan (and others would note we never did Picasso in the city either – not art fans) and ended up outside the Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya housed in an impressive building built for the 1920s World Exhibition. If we had more time and energy we might have visited even though we aren’t big on art but not this trip. Instead we took pics as we escalated/walked down to Plaza Espanya. They have a coloured fountain display here some evenings but we never made it.

View from the balcony outside MNAC towards Placa d’Espanya.

Looking back up at MNAC

Another view lower down through the pillars.

This round building was the former bull ring now a shopping centre.

Whilst here we bought tix for the daytrip to Montserrat the next day. Then headed post-haste via the metro to our planned late lunch spot, somewhere near the beaches of Barceloneta. This area turned out to be packed with lots of bars and restaurants. We picked randomly and perhaps a little early in our explorations but we were too hungry and thirsty to care!

My long-awaited Sangria part of the menu del dia that accompanied a paella for €10.95.

DD tried a form of paella made with noodles instead of rice – declared it delicious.

DH choose with a grill and a cold beer.

After some time and another drink we wandered down to the beach. These were packed and more coarse (lots of small rocks in the sand) than ours but were nicely sandwiched into bays. I liked the way they had a covered walkway at beach level behind the beach as well as the promenade on top, wide enough for skaters and bikers and walkers and lined here and there with cafes. Nice place to stop. DD and I paddled our feet – it was FREEZING! Now we know why so few people were swimming!

We were too sunburnt already to sit in the sun so after some shady stops we turned away from the beach at Frank Gehry’s copper Peix (fish) sculpture

The beach here is quieter.

We caught a bus that ran straight from the beach up the street that ran beside the Sagrada and so close to our apartment and in 10 mins were home.

We did detour for some gelato though.

Tonight we all ended up in bed appallingly early for Spain – 9.30pm!

Captn’s highlights: Inside the Sagrada Familia – Gaudi surprises me again; lazy eating and pottering alongside the beach.
Captn’s lowlights: tired legs!

You definitely did that hill the right way around - cable car up, walk down... very sensible :thumbsup2 The views and gardens were awesome!

Those beaches sure do look nice, except for all the people :scared1:

Yup, I agree with Zanzibar. Cable car up and walk down seems like the most sensible way to go.

I love the look of those noodles paella. I might have to google to see if there is recipe to try. :thumbsup2

Your pics PIO when you go will be super fantastic! Really Barcelona was so much more than we were expecting.

Thanks Wendy. I will happy if they turn out as good as yours.

Day 33 Thurs Montserrat

Part 1

We were up early to catch the metro to Placa d’Espanya to coordinate with the train and cable car to Montserrat. This is a Benedictine monastery complex dwarfed by the jagged peaks of Serra de Montserrat and dotted with hermitages. It is the location of lots of legends like St Peter was meant to have left the statue of the Virgin Mary (the black virgin) carved by St Luke here in 50AD and Parsifal found the holy grail here etc. The monastery was founded in the 11thC but was destroyed in 1811 when the French attacked Catalonia in the War of independence. It was rebuilt and during the Franco regime it was the only place allowed to perform marriage ceremonies and celebrate masses in Catalan.

I am not mentioning the fact that in my menopausal madness I attempted to lead us to Estacio Sants instead of dÉspanya ???? except to say that if anyone wonders, you can catch the metro from Sants to d’Espanya and find the RER platform and make the train to Montserrat, all in less than 15 mins! :upsidedow.

Right, thanks to TA advice on how to find the correct platform for Montserrat which can be difficult (you follow the signs to L8 in order to find L5) we arrived with seconds to spare. It was a pleasant trip out into the countryside past fields and allotments before the splendour of the mountain revealed itself. At Aeri Montserrat we got off and caught the cable car. For those afraid of heights you can catch the RER one more stop and take a funicular up instead. It was a bit too crowded in the cable car, unfortunately, to get any decent pics to show the sheer ascent.

View from the train (the monastery is half way up - you can just make it out)

View from the station (again the monastery is all but hidden blending in with the rock-to the right of the cleft in the rocks near the top.)

View on the way up in the cable car

And another showing the steepness looking up where we are headed.

Following guidebook recoms we decided to go straight up the funicular Sant Joan to the top and take one of the walks. I had overly ambitious hopes of making it to Sant Jeroni, on Montserratt’s highest peak (and I know PIO would have made it here) which has stunning views but we had an experience en route which unsettled us and that plus the heat and DH getting breathless (he’s not been the same since the Grand Canyon episode though the Doc has checked him out and said his heart and lungs are fine) we didn’t make it as far as I had hoped.

Funicular Sant Joan

Views of the monastery complex going up in the funicular. Shows how steep it is as that is looking through the glass roof.

It was a spectacular walk. We headed off around steep granite rocks with a quite a bit of stair climbing. Stunning views back down to the monastery nestled on the mountainside and a hermitage on the opposite slope.

We had got a little further, when rounding a corner, we saw a paraglider about to jump off the top of a rock high up above us. So we stopped to watch. Except as he jumped he failed to catch the updraught properly and he mostly fell, bouncing and bashing against the sides of the mountain, screaming as he went. We figured we would have one badly injured or dead body land in front of us on the path.

DH made us get back under an overhang so we weren’t hit and swept over the hillside with him and we frantically started getting mobile phones out to call for help. However, he then finally caught the wind and soared up and over the top of us, only to lose it again as he rounded a corner and we could hear him screaming and crashing into trees on the slope. Then silence. We could see no-one above him on the cliff.

We ran back down all the steps and around to where we thought might be the closest spot and DH kept calling out to see if he was still alive and locate where he was but we didn’t know if he spoke English and we spoke no Spanish. We were also wondering what the emergency number in Spain was and would they speak English for us to report the emergency?

We rounded a corner and thankfully there was a group of Spanish trekkers who saw the end of the event and had ropes and climbing gear with them. With gestures we explained what had happened and they called out in Spanish and he answered and after some convo between them and sign language to us we gathered he was amazingly OK and could walk and could get out from a lower path so no need to call for help or for them to abseil down. So it was back on with our day but it had shook us all up and dampened our enthusiasm somewhat.

We retraced our steps upwards and not too much further than where we had been we reached a lookout over the plains so after a photo stop we decided we might just head back to the monastery as I really wanted to hear the Boys Choir anyway.

Around about here I think he jumped.

We could see what was probably Sant Jeroni far off on a hilltop.

View from the lookout

View across the ravine to a hermitage we would have gone by if we had made the full route.

Views going back down on the funicular

Clever way for two carriages to pass

A good view of the basilica

Back in the now busy metropolis of the monastery we found a café to buy some soft drinks to accompany our picnic lunch then joined the throng heading into the cathedral. You could queue (an incredibly long queue) to see the famous black Virgin, La Morenata, which carbon dating says is 12thC and not as reputed made by St Luke in 50AD. Instead we crammed with everyone else into the basilica and found a spot in the side aisle to stand. This is reputed to be Europe’s oldest music school and the two items that were sung were amazing. Some of the boys looked so young!

The basilica entrance

Inside

View of the virgin

The boy’s choir

Continued next post

Part 2

A statue near the entrance

Exiting the basilica

A statue whose eyes followed you wherever you stood.

We were going to watch the audio-visual but it was in rotating languages and English seemed to be hours off so instead we spent some money in the very good gift shop and explored some of the other areas of the plateau. We had the pass to catch the funicular Santa Cova down to the cave where they found la Morenata but after viewing from high above it was also quite a walk downwards – and back up - despite the funicular helping out…and what can I say we were feeling lazy!

A sculpture in another area

Windows onto the world nearby

Looking out over the path to the right to Santa Cova

So it was back home on the RER. Failed to get a decent window spot on the cable car again!

One view on the way down.

We got back to Barcelona around 4pm so had a rest then headed out for some last minute shopping off Las Ramblas and dinner. On my list was a highly rated vegetarian place called Teresa Carles (currently 34th in TA for Barcelona). Partly by luck we stumbled across it just when DH was muttering at every place we walked past “this place looks good”. We had to wait for a table as we hadn’t booked but luckily only about 30 mins I guess.

The food was well worth the wait. My diary fails me again here but thanks to the internet I think I have pierced together what we had. I do remember it was delicious and the service was very good and all the reviews were correct.

I love this pic of DH and DD

Tempura vegies for entrée

My crepe with asparagus and goats cheese or it might have been brie.

Eggplant millefeuille with porcini mushrooms

Penne pasta with ricotta and aubergine chips

We then wandered the streets of Barcelona towards P. Catalunya and the metro for home snapping a pic of Casa Battlo as we happened to go past en route.

Time for very late night packing as we had to be at the airport by 8am. We were sad to leave Barcelona as it had been a fun city to explore and still lots we hadn’t seen. We enjoyed all we did experience and it’s a city I would recommend to others.

Captn’s highlights: Montserrat was definitely worth the hype. Dinner!
Captn’s lowlights: watching some-one trying to die in front of you; leaving Spain.

Wow what an eventful day! I also would have been feeling a bit overwhelmed and unenthusiastic about continuing with the walk after the incident with the paraglider. Thank goodness he turned out to be ok!

The rest of the day looked great though. I hope you were able to put it out of your mind once you got back down.

I love funiculars, so much fun! And Montserrat is going on the wishlist.

Day 34 Fri 14th June Farewell Espanya

It was an early start the next morning. We collected Duffy and Carmen (of course that was her name!) who had been out partying by themselves and condescended to a pic with the Sagrada before we left.

Then it was I believe an uneventful flight to Singapore watching I know not which movies as my diary is blank…

We did however take a different route to those we have flown before and passed over the Italian coast and right over Vesuvius in Italy

Our hotel in Singapore had been booked from the night before so we could go straight to our room for a sleep. We caught the MRT 1 stop to the Expo station which was near the convention centre. We walked the wrong way around the building to start with til we found the entrance to the hotel, Capri by Fraser, Changi City, as it was still pitch dark and very early am (5amish) here so nothing was open.

The hotel was nice, lots of art work in the foyer

and our room came with a kitchenette (microwave, hotplates, toaster, jug etc). I had read it’s popular with pilots and airline staff and we ran into quite a few over the day.

DH and I napped for 3 hrs or so, then leaving DD asleep as she had a night flight back to Aus, we explored the adjoining shopping centre, Changi Citypoint Mall, for breakfast. This wasn’t very big (did have a Nike outlet but we didn’t think the savings that great) but it was a way to while away a couple of hours exploring and lots of eating options (outdoor and indoor and the usual food court and a supermarket). It had unusual indoor mini gardens and a nice outdoor area by several posher restaurants called The Oasis. We kept trying to find a way to access the Mall rooftop garden (following signs that led us in circles) and the outdoor kids playground with water features - but were totally unsuccessful. I have seen pics since getting home and wish I’d persevered more-I blame jetlag! With the MRT underneath it would be easy to reach other areas of Singapore for some sightseeing so this hotel is a good alternative close to the airport to the cost of staying at the Crowne Plaza at Changi. The hotel also had a shuttle to the airport as well as being one MRT stop.

A pic of one of the mini indoor gardens (thanks to the internet). We really stopped taking pics here I see.

A daylight pic of the entrance

When we got back I got changed and went to the pool with my diary to catch up on the backlog (and obviously failed!) while I think DH napped some more-we are not very good with the overnight flights as we never sleep. We had discussed doing some sightseeing in the city today but DD and DH were keen to veg and watch TV so we had a lazy few hours including what DD called “linner” and did some more window shopping. It was a nice lazy way to spend the day.

I obviously thought it was nice and good value to take a pic??

Pic of the pool taken from a balcony above – you can see all the construction going on around the hotel. The whole area is still under development. That is the gym in the room behind the pool.

Pic looking back at the hotel borrowed from the internet

We went with DD back to the airport using the hotel shuttle early that evening and saw her through customs for her flight back to Aus. We left the next am – as the tickets had been bought separately we were on different flights. I had investigated changing us to hers or vica versa but the cost was going to be more than the entire return flight had been. It meant she got a friend to meet her, collect our pooch and come home and then come back out that evening to pick us up from the airtrain station.

DH and I slept early and had a safe and pleasant flight home, with the most disruptions happening at the train end with works on the line meaning we were transferred to a bus at the interchange instead of the train and the trip took about an extra hour as we waited and we waited for the bus to leave….definitely needed the Enterprise back.

Capt’s Log – Another memorable trip. Scotland was as pretty as expected. We have almost the equal of the Chelsea flower show happening in many Australian States each year-you forget how good they are. Harry Potter Leavensden Studios Tour is totally brilliant and a must-see especially if you are a HP fan. Spain was highly interesting, scenic, and an easy place to travel despite the fact there is very little English spoken. It was very laid back yet its public transport was efficient and ran on time, it had wonderful cheap food and alcohol, people were very friendly and it just had great “vibes” overall. It is on our return and see more list. Singapore has totally reinvented itself since our last proper stopover 15 years ago and is also a city well worth exploring, especially Gardens by the Bay and surrounds.

As for Disneyland Paris, it may have a different atmosphere to the States but it was very beautiful, spacious, had old favourites, different versions of other rides and some entirely new experiences – well worth a visit if you are there, despite the drawcard of Paris. We visited when it was quiet which was obviously a bonus. The slamming it gets on some Disboards we felt was not warranted. Some CMs were great, some were not, some people smoked outside of the designated areas, there was some rubbish but given the make-over for the 20th it was still fresh. We haven’t seen the World of Colour yet but Dreams was hands down the best show I have seen to date, in or outside of a Disney Park.

Thanks for the memories DLP – and thanks to everyone for letting me extend the fun by writing all about it…til next trip in the words of Spock…Live long and prosper.

Qapla!

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed this TR very much. You gave me so many ideas on how to see Spain. DH was murmuring about England, Wales, Spain and France the other day. I'm just going to run with the murmurs. I just have to figure out which year and which kidney to sell.

Thanks PIO. Happy to tempt you :goodvibes

Airfares have been cheaper than getting to the US of late (I saw several early birds for next Sept around $1400/1500 which is amazing) but accommodation costs are definitely the killer. We managed to get it down to on average $137/night for this trip which is one of my best I think-normally I average $150-160.

Thanks to this unexpected, semi-full-time, extended contract (now til end of March) we can probably afford to go somewhere again next Sept/Oct rather than wait til 2015 as I originally thought (hence my wish-for ticker). I was so tempted by the early birds to Europe but really want to do a US trip again so dithering have missed some of the really cheap Europe deals. Also would have to keep other costs down if I did this. We'll see what comes up early next year! Mind you, some stressful days at work, I wonder is the contract really worth it!! and didn't I resign from my continuing employment several years ago to get away from all this. Reading TR here keeps me focused!

Thanks PIO. Happy to tempt you :goodvibes

Airfares have been cheaper than getting to the US of late (I saw several early birds for next Sept around $1400/1500 which is amazing) but accommodation costs are definitely the killer. We managed to get it down to on average $137/night for this trip which is one of my best I think-normally I average $150-160.

Thanks to this unexpected, semi-full-time, extended contract (now til end of March) we can probably afford to go somewhere again next Sept/Oct rather than wait til 2015 as I originally thought (hence my wish-for ticker). I was so tempted by the early birds to Europe but really want to do a US trip again so dithering have missed some of the really cheap Europe deals. Also would have to keep other costs down if I did this. We'll see what comes up early next year! Mind you, some stressful days at work, I wonder is the contract really worth it!! and didn't I resign from my continuing employment several years ago to get away from all this. Reading TR here keeps me focused!

Good for you. :thumbsup2 Looking forward to seeing where you get to

I'm going to have to wait to 2015. DS has hit the expensive school fee years.

Thanks so much for sharing Wendy :goodvibes I really enjoyed your TR. You'd been to so many places, I almost forgot that you started out in Paris lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter