TR May 2010-An Aussie's Journey - California Here we Come

Yay for having the plane tickets bought!

I would play with the online reservation system just to see what TS you might get. I've made lots of changes and even with 2 1/2 months to go, there is still a lot available! It's nice to throw in a couple sit-down meals here and there

Sometimes I so hate my extended family....been only waiting MONTHS for them to decide what they want to do! DB and DParents are very probably staying off site somewhere (they still haven't booked accommodation yet) - no biggie as we all like to meet and separate. But after months of trying to convince them that we should lock in some ADRs without success, I finally bit the bullet to book a couple for myself, DH and DS.

We are on the QSDP when we are staying at POR for 5 days. This plan so suits our style of eating. We're not big on sitting down for 2 courses and I couldn't see DS sitting still for 5 minutes; much less 50! So, we will be trying to hit as many of the following CS choices:
Magic Kingdom - Columbia Harbour, Cosmic Rays, El Pirata y el Perico (if opened), Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station (if opened)
Epcot - Sunshine Seasons, Tangerine Cafe, Yorkshire Fish and Chips, Yakitori House
AK - Yak and Yeti, Pizzafari
HS - Pizza Planet, Starring Rolls
DD - WPE, Earl of Sandwich, Cookes of Dublin
POR - food court

I figure we should have enough options without having to face a burger or hotdog unless by choice.

When we transfer to BCV, we will be going OOP. I figure that we will have a toaster, kettle and micro in the studio and we should be fine for breakfast.
But DS likes having breakfast with characters. DH and I have unfortunately been "blessed" with the early morning genes. No one else in my family (or his) are early morning people. Therefore, I logically didn't even try to talk to the extended family about a character breakfast. So, I now have an ADR breakfast booked at Cape May for one of the mornings.

I also thought we would book in one TS at an Epcot restaurant for this time. My TA was investigating a range of dates and options for me for the following restaurants:
Le Cellier
Chefs de France
Marrakesh
Teppen Edo
Kouzzina
and I thought I was close to locking something in...

Well....I made the mistake of telling the extended family some of our plans. Guess what??? They all want to come to a character breakfast as well. I have no idea how they think they are going to make a 7.45 am booking :rolleyes1: at Cape May.
So; I am NOT changing my existing ressie for Cape May. DH and I chatted about this and we will do 2 character breakfasts OOP. I am now looking at booking in a 8.15 am breakkie at Tusker House. DP and us have been to Chef Mickey in 2005 and I wanted to try somewhere different. TH seems to have the range of characters that DB and his twins would enjoy. Here's hoping that I can get a table for 9 this late in the game....have to get back to you on this one.

And then DH and DGF also said that they wanted to have a night out for dinner with us. DP will babysit the 3 kids; so we can have a late night and possibly kick on after dinner. So, I'm now looking at trying to get in for:
California Grill :rotfl2: and I don't think I have any chance at all of getting a 7 pm sitting for 4. But hey - I have to break the news to my TA; so I might as well shoot for the stars or at least shoot for Wishes!
Will also give the same range of restaurants to TA - only now looking for a table for 4. And will include Jiko and Boma on the list as well....I'll have to get back to you on whether I get an ADR or not.

DB and I also had a discussion about what to do on my birthday. We both like eating at the Cheesecake Factory and think that this may be a good spot to go to for dinner with the family; in the appropriate $ range. Anyone have recommendations for DTD restaurants of similar pricing and food options?

Yes please do leave something from Oz that would be awesome time find!
We're gonna have to work something out using PM or let me know where you're staying and I'll try to leave a "package" there for you :)

I would highly recommend Chefs de France. Last time I was there I saw Remi~~! He came to you table and talked to you a bit...well squeaked at you and a hostess would sing sometimes or talk to you about Remi. :) I've seen belly dancers at the Morroccoan place which is cool but I haven't heard much about the food there. I also highly recommend Teppan Edo! Very Very good~ But Chefs de France has a special place in my heart. I've heard Le Ceilier is good too but I can't eat steak soooooo yeah.

We'll have to get on PM~~!

Dinner with DH, DB and DGF:
California Gril - nothing available until about 8.50 pm. Decided not to go for this as I'll be practically starved by this time.
Le Cellier - nothing available for any time!!
Le Chefs de France - 7 pm ADR booked in.
:cool1::cool1::yay::yay:

Breakfast with the family:
Tusker House - 8.10 am ADR booked in.

Both bookings are for when we are at BCV and will be OOP....and I'm keeping my ADR for a Cape May breakfast for just DH, DS and myself
;)

So, I think I may be done for the food planning.
QS for the first 5 days, OOP for the next 5 days with a couple of bookings with the family. Locked in 2 character breakfasts and 1 TS dinner for when we are OOP.
I know that one of you will point out that we might find it more cost effective to upgrade our dining plan or try to get a dining plan for the second part of the trip.
I'd love to....but because we have a split stay, I'll have to purchase at least one day park ticket in order to qualify for the package. This probably is the deal breaker.
Oh well....maybe I'll get lucky when I check in to the second resort and they will:
1. Transfer my remaining park tickets from the old KTTW to the new KTTW.
2. Offer me the chance to purchase a dining plan...(yes, I know I'm dreaming on this one).

I'm glad you go into Chefs de France! I love that place!

I don't have any recommendations as far as weather to get the DP or not.....I've never used it...I was told to use it but I don't think SoG praticipates in it. And our tickets are different so I'm not sure if I qualify or not either.

But I think what you've got sounds pretty good and hey since you'll have a car there is alway off resort places you can go to for dinner to off set the cost too! Or even breakfast for that matter.

I've paid for my airfare from LAX to Miami.:yay: One less bill to pay for this holiday. Miami here we come :dance3:
We decided to take a day flight out of LAX and will arrive into Miami after 8 pm.

So I posted a question on the transportation board and got a response to the question:
For those Melbournians reading this (anyone??), please tell me where to go for the best photo opportunity shots
. Looks like there are road signs along the way.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2399939

So, a little Off-track (pun intended) for the DisBoard (non-World planning) but we have hired a :car: from Alamo car rental. We will pick this up on 2nd May and head down towards Homestead or Florida City and stay the night. I really want to see the Everglades and am planning to spend the day exploring the swamp on the 3rd. I plan to stop at every visitor stop point from the Ernest Coe Visitor Centre down to Flamingo. I debated hiring a canoe...but figured that we could probably paddle about 10 minutes; not the 3 - 4 hours estimated time for the shortest paddle route in Flamingo. :boat:

We are thinking of staying the night at South Beach. Not sure where yet - but I'm hoping for something right in the heart of South Beach that will have quiet rooms. Happy to take recommendations.

On the 4th, we'll :drive: from Miami via Melbourne to the World. We'll probably head up the 95. I just looked up the map and noticed that Vero Beach is also on the way. Is it worth a stop as well?

With any luck, we'll get in to the World by about 4 pm. I guess I can now start thinking about planning my strategy for the park!

Congrats on booking your flights! It is an exciting step! :banana: Your dining plans look great so far, too. Just think, we may end up being neighbors at POR. Wouldn't that be coincidental? :lmao:

Congrats on booking your flights! It is an exciting step! :banana: Your dining plans look great so far, too. Just think, we may end up being neighbors at POR. Wouldn't that be coincidental? :lmao:

I know!! I'm really hoping to run into a whole bunch of you at the resorts; possibly early morning at the foodcourt or around the pool.

I've "requested" Aligator Bayou and am really hoping that I get a room there. What about you?

We requested Alligator Bayou as well, since we are asking for the trundle beds. I hope to be in one of the buildings by the main pool. I am going to fax that request in a few days before our trip. We'll see what happens!! popcorn::

We requested Alligator Bayou as well, since we are asking for the trundle beds. I hope to be in one of the buildings by the main pool. I am going to fax that request in a few days before our trip. We'll see what happens!! popcorn::

Well, we may well be neighbours party:

So I've been reading a few PTR like everyone else and am starting to feel like I need to put some thought into planning my time at the World.

Here are my initial thoughts.
Tues 4 May – check into POR and pick up KKTW. I’m not sure what time we will arrive as we are driving up from Miami in the morning. Depending on how we feel, I’m think we could hang out by the pool and then head over to DTD for some food. I had originally thought we would go to Raglan Road for dinner but I checked the QSDP and it’s not on the plan. Might check out WPE instead.
The alternative is to head over to MK and grab a spot to eat and stay for Wishes.

On the QSDP, we will have 10 CS, 10 snacks to spend over the 5 nights/6 days at POR.

Dinner: either WPE or Columbia Harbour House (CS # 1)

Wed 5 May – Epcot/MK ? day. I suspect that the extended family will want to head to MK. But I’m meeting Dis-ers at Epcot at noon. So, I’ll need to hop over or convince the extended family to go to Epcot on this day. Hmm. Going to have to work on this one. No biggie – I can always fly solo, hop over and then hop back. Assuming that we are at Epcot, food plans for this day are:
Breakfast: POR foodcourt (S # 1)
Lunch: Sunshine Season or Yorkshire Fish and Chips (CS #2)
Dinner: Tangerine Café (CS #3)
Snack: either French Boulangerie or Norway School Bread. (S #2)

Must do at Epcot:
1. Test Track
2. Soarin’
3. Illuminations
4. Every Country!
5. Eat a snack or 15 at the Boulangerie

Thur 6 May – POR morning, MK afternoon. DS and Dtwins are booked in for the Bayou Adventure at POR, which will finish at 11.30 am. I’ve just checked out the park schedule and MK closes at 10 pm today. I might be able to convince extended family to do Epcot on the 5th so that we can have extra time at MK. Spectromagic and Wishes are both on; which will be the other argument.
Breakfast: POR food court (S #3)
Lunch: potentially POR food court after we pick up kids (CS #4)
Dinner: If we end up at MK, either CHH, Cosmic Rays, El Pirata y el Perico (if opened) or Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station (if opened) (CS #5)
Snack: Dole Pineapple float (S #4)

Must do at MK
:
1. Splash Mountain
2. Space Mountain
3. Wishes
4. Philharmagic
5. Spectromagic

Fri 7 May – Shopping morning, HS afternoon. We may head out for a non-park day and do some shopping at the outlet malls. HS has EME; so after the shopping, we’ll head to HS. No Fantasmic; but nothing’s perfect.
Breakfast: POR food court (S #5)
Lunch: TBC (OOP)
Dinner: either Pizza Planet, ABC Commissary, Backlot Express or Starring Roles. (CS #6)
Snacks: TBC (S #6)

Must do at HS:
1. Rock n Roller Coaster
2. Fantasmic
3. Lights, Motor, Action stunt show
4. Toy Story Mania
5. Beauty and the Beast

Sat 8 May – Animal Kingdom day.
Breakfast – Tusker House (OOP)
Lunch – either Yak and Yeti or Pizzafari (CS #7)
Dinner – TBC (CS #8)
Snacks – Chai tea at Royal Anandapur (S #7)

Must do at AK:
1. Everest Expedition
2. Kali Water Rapids
3. Finding Nemo
4. Festival of the Lion King

Sun 9 May – Check out of POR and move into BCV. We have to finish our QS today by midnight. I’ll have to think what we want to do on the second week and update next time.

Hi PrincessinOz!!

I will also be at WDW in May. Although we don't get there until May 6 (after a few days in Vegas). But we are lucky enough to not be leaving until May 26!! We will be staying offsite - 3 weeks in a hotel room (even though it's only 2 of us) would drive me mad!!! I am starting to get a bit excited now!! :rotfl:

I love your plans so far - I look forward to seeing what you plan for your BCV stay.

Like you most of our holiday has been paid for now - got to love the good exchange rate around now. The only thing I have left to do is pay for the rental car and get some cash for our arrival. Happy days...!!!

OK - waiting to hear your updates.

Your fellow Aussie.

kschafer: Sounds good! Can't wait to meet you
kangaand2roos: It all sounds good! I look forward to the Cinco de Mayo meet!
(I really need to work out how to do this multiquote thing with the originator's names!!!)

Looking forward to Cinco De Mayo myself. It's still 10 weeks away and I'm trying hard to keep a lid on the excitement level. I have to concentrate on WORK (oh yes.....the thing I have to do to pay for this trip :rotfl2:).

G'Day Heather. Thanks for joining in my PTR. Yes, great exchange rate. I've been swapping money from the 94 cent highs and am watching it now that it's creeping back to 90 cents. I think it will go a little higher early March before the Reserve bank meets. I love/hate rumours of Interest rate increases!! Great for the dollar but not the home loan. I still have some more to pay off the POR package - it's all due by the end of March (45 day mark - here we come). I'm hoping for about a 91 cent exchange and then I'll pay it all off. Can't wait.

Where is your off site? Happy hols to you too.

A number of us have been debating "The Bag" thing. My turn.

For me, I'm just plain envious about the range, price and availability of bags in the US. Things are much more expensive in OZ.
KSchafer's thread on The Bag has been resolved. She bought the Baggalini messenger bag.
Oh - to Bag or not to bag? That is the question for me.
I :lovestruc the Messenger bag - in lime green for DisBoard solidarity. In Orange because it's so way off any colour for Oz and the Giraffe pattern, which is more in keeping with the black Melbourne uniform.

Whilst I'm still debating this, here's what I currently have and there is nothing wrong with my current arrangement.

I have a Hedgren bag that goes travelling with me. It's big enough for purse, passports, wipes/sanitising gel, bandaids, tissues, pens, autograph book, poncho, bottle of water...
Mybag.jpg

I like to sling it over my shoulder.

Here's a recent 'find' at the $2 shop. It's a Tinkerbell and friends bag tag. And it's limey green!! It was in one of those "Collect them all" surprise packets of 5 items on Tinkerbell out of the collection of about 20 items. I picked through all 10 packets to see if I could feel the bag tag. :rotfl: Couldn't resist.
TinkTag1.jpg

Here's my bag and the bag tag. Perfect match?? Well, I hope Pikachu thinks so as he's probably going to have to share space with Tink at the World.
TinkTagandBag.jpg

So, do I need a new bag? No.
Do I want a new bag? Yes!!
Should I order it on-line and have it delivered? Well...I'd still like to touch and feel the messenger before committing myself. I'll have to see if there are any shops that stock it in LA; or Orlando.

Hoping on! We will definitely be overlapping on our trips, and our Park itineraries.

I look forward to reading all about your plans!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter