TOWL Update

Well SAB belongs to the hotel really, since it was there first. But anyway, it is restricted only to those staying at those resorts, DVC members can't hop there, so I didn't really understand what you said.

Sorry I wasn't clear. :) The poster was saying that TOWL should only be allowed to people who bought BLT points, that even people that own DVC points elsewhere shouldn't be allowed up there, when staying at BLT on points, because they didn't buy at BLT. I was just comparing the perk of SAB of people staying at BCV (I didn't know it was there before DVC). It'd be silly that if someone was staying there on points, but own points elsewhere, couldn't use the pool because they didn't buy at BCV.

I truly believe that's because the service sucks so bad and if that's corrected they could make enough revenue to keep it open. When we were there in Dec, I waited almost 10 minutes to order a drink, and got ignored....they weren't that busy. Result: I didn't get two drinks (one for me, one for DH), and lost $$. How can they NOT know their lack of service is an issue?

Lack of service is a issue because no one wants to work there so you aren't getting the best CM's. If you had your choice of working where you are well tipped or working where no one buys anything, where would you work?

Disney probably knew when the place was being built how this would turn out that's why they didn't build a kitchen.

I don't remember any of the lounges at WDW being packed and the fact that it is located in a stand alone resort with restricted access makes it that much worse. The Turf Club bar is usually empty and they have a full restaurant right there. DVC folks probably bring their own booze and the resort rooms are so large, they don't need to leave them to stretch their legs.

:earsboy: Bill

No. It is and it should be just for BLT owners. I was up there last night. People come in, spend no money, watch and leave. What is the point? One drink minimum or get out. You are in WDW. Are you going to try and start to save money?
I don't get it. Buy points like I did. They extended it to Dec. 29th. End it already. Sorry fellow dvc'ers I am not for it.
It never was a perk just for owners. I don't have to and never did have to buy points at BLT to use the TOTWL. If you thought you had to purchase at BLT in order to use the lounge, you were sold a bill of goods. You should not be upset the lounge can be used by non BLT owners because it was never intended to be used by owners alone.
Now the fact that they have opened it up to all DVC members regardless of which DVC resort they are staying at is a different story, that you have a right to be upset about.

Lack of service is a issue because no one wants to work there so you aren't getting the best CM's. If you had your choice of working where you are well tipped or working where no one buys anything, where would you work?

Disney probably knew when the place was being built how this would turn out that's why they didn't build a kitchen.

I don't remember any of the lounges at WDW being packed and the fact that it is located in a stand alone resort with restricted access makes it that much worse. The Turf Club bar is usually empty and they have a full restaurant right there. DVC folks probably bring their own booze and the resort rooms are so large, they don't need to leave them to stretch their legs.

That makes sense about the CMs...it's kind of a catch-22, lose $ because service stinks, and service stinks because lack of drink buying/tips. They'd probably make more money if they made it CS like CPT Cooks, and just let people go up there for quick service and fireworks. I agree with the poster who said they should add some umbrella tables and more seats. There's nowhere to sit except those hard concrete benches up by the lounge. I guess their afraid some parents won't watch their kids and one will stand on a chair by the wall and go overboard.

I don't think that it will make enough money for the lounge to stay open. Modifying the access restrictions resulted in more people going there to watch the fireworks but they still aren't hanging out there and spending money.

by opening it up to all members, if it continues 'to fail' as to income then we cannot complain when they open it up to everybody in a different format. They have a dessert party in the MK I'd think they could charge even more and people would jump at the chance, especially if they could park there...not to mention possibility of exclusive dining experiences, private functions, etc.

imo it's a gem and when we stay @ BLT have always stopped up one night for a nightcap, usually after watching the FW from our own balcony:goodvibesand the crowd has thinned. Now that it's open, we'll stop by in a month, or so.:hyper: We've always found the barstaff to be very friendly.

As others have stated, I just wish the food offerings were more appealing to serve as a light supper. I realize they are limited but even cold sandwiches or entree salad would be an improvement imo. If they can mix a good, fresh salad @ roaring forks I don't understand why they couldn't have one here.:confused3

Scrappy_Tink said:
Sorry I wasn't clear. :) The poster was saying that TOWL should only be allowed to people who bought BLT points, that even people that own DVC points elsewhere shouldn't be allowed up there, when staying at BLT on points, because they didn't buy at BLT. I was just comparing the perk of SAB of people staying at BCV (I didn't know it was there before DVC). It'd be silly that if someone was staying there on points, but own points elsewhere, couldn't use the pool because they didn't buy at BCV.

Gotcha. And I don't know when SAB started either, I was really speculating. We stayed at YC on our honeymoon in 1996 and I don't remember anything about any of the pools. Too starry eyed I guess!

I don't remember any of the lounges at WDW being packed
No, they really aren't. Territory in WL sees some traffic, but e.g. the Belle Vue Room is nearly always quiet. Even Mizners (one of my favorites) never seems busy.

The one exception might be Tambu in the Poly, but I suspect that's only because the wait to be seated at 'Ohana is consistently miserable.

I understand those of you who want to keep it as it originally was, but you have to understand that allowing other members access will probably save the lounge. It just wasn't generating a lot of income. Would you rather have it as it is now or not at all, because I completely believe those are the only two options.

This is the thing, if it does not make money it is gone. By opening the viewing area to other DVC members it may be a way to save the privilege to experience the TOWL.

Now a earlier poster suggested a one drink minimum, I think this is a great idea.

All guest at TOWL have to buy a drink or appetizer.

The MLB ball park I live near has several privileged seating areas or clubs and there is a spending requirement per hour some as high as $20 per guest. So if I had to buy a drink or an App, I would gladly do so and will when we visit next month.

This is the thing, if it does not make money it is gone. By opening the viewing area to other DVC members it may be a way to save the privilege to experience the TOWL.

Now a earlier poster suggested a one drink minimum, I think this is a great idea.

All guest at TOWL have to buy a drink or appetizer.

The MLB ball park I live near has several privileged seating areas or clubs and there is a spending requirement per hour some as high as $20 per guest. So if I had to buy a drink or an App, I would gladly do so and will when we visit next month.

If we have to buy food or drink for access, you might have the entire place to yourself. The venue isn't worth the required cost and if people loved the food and drink, they would already be buying.

If we have to buy food or drink for access, you might have the entire place to yourself. The venue isn't worth the required cost and if people loved the food and drink, they would already be buying.

There is some truth in that, I an see your point. But in the end There needs to be something done to increase sales or the lounge will be closed

There is some truth in that, I an see your point. But in the end There needs to be something done to increase sales or the lounge will be closed

As I previously posted IMO Disney knew that the lounge would never support the expense of keeping it open. It was a marketing tool that isn't needed anymore.

In typical Disney fashion they can now publish that they tried to keep it open and even invited all DVC Members property wide to enjoy the venue. Unfortunately due to lack of sales and Member feed back, the lounge portion of the venue will close effective XXXXXX 31, 2013. Until then, access is open to all DVC Members to give everyone a chance to visit this beautiful venue.

I suppose they could institute a cover charge (to enter the lounge or viewing deck) and put in a couple of characters from Chef Mickey's. That may entice folks for some more opportune photo ops.

There has to be some creative way to keep it open...and increase popularity/revenue.

If it closes, I just don't want to pay for it. I do own at BLT and am fine with funding it as a common space - but not if it's closed or getting revenue from only private events.

Gotcha. And I don't know when SAB started either, I was really speculating. We stayed at YC on our honeymoon in 1996 and I don't remember anything about any of the pools. Too starry eyed I guess!

:rotfl: My sister gave us her points for our Honeymoon, which we were able to book for the Boardwalk...we were toast after that!! I love being reminded of our honeymoon every time we stay there!! I can agree with you though...pools weren't a priority!! :goodvibes

BLT is not our style but the TOWL looks kind of fun. I haven't read the whole thread but from what I gather, it was originally meant for BLT owners but a lack of sales from those using the lounge made DVC open it to all members/those using points to gain more profit; is that about right?

Anyway, I'm glad it's open. We'll check it out and buy a drink. :thumbsup2

Maybe we can look at this in another way. What if Disney were to turn the TOWL into a BLT Concierge location? Would this be feasible and attract more income? :confused3

Okay help me to understand the new deal with TOWL....if Im reading correctly even if staying at a different DVC resort I can go up there - and I can bring anyone I want- but they have to be staying on my reservation. I'll be there in a few weeks and so will two good friends of mine and its actually both their birthdays. I'd love to take them up there to watch the fireworks as a surprise but if they're not staying in my room does that mean I can't take them?

Maybe we can look at this in another way. What if Disney were to turn the TOWL into a BLT Concierge location? Would this be feasible and attract more income? :confused3

Concierge or Club Level doesn't generate income for DVC point users it costs. The owners at AKV are paying with their dues for people to stay at Club Level and allowing them to enjoy the extra services. The extra points required to stay there does nothing to help the cost.

If Disney turned the lounge into a Club Level lounge, cash paying guests could generate some income for Disney, but that does nothing for the DVC. I would expect that Disney would transfer back the ownership of the lounge to Disney if it saves them money.

well 2 people would not be a problem except when others
join in, it will get over crowded fast.

as for the benches/chairs, they can be bolted down.

making it special, they could make a line of tees & shirts
...and open a shop. those reserving the pre-prepared
meals ( liked dis/land woc), have extra "party/special
occasions" items for sale.

for ex., i celebrated "whatever" with mickey, on top of
the world.

make more money? there are many, many things they could do
with a lil'~ imagination. like portable platforms they
could rent out for really special views.. mounted telescopes.

because this was given to blt owners, they should give blt
owners a lil'extra bonus ... like special characters meets
during the day, like the dhs "practice" greets , during the day
& by invite only. for the adults, they could do something
with old movie props, dressed up liked the old westerns
type. (poc/mary poppins haunted mansion) & offered a
picture package for a small fee.

where are the disney managers' minds @? the best way
to encourage spending is to make'um feel happy or
a lil' special.:goodvibes

because this was given to blt owners, they should give blt
owners a lil'extra bonus ... like special characters meets
during the day, like the dhs "practice" greets , during the day
& by invite only. for the adults, they could do something
with old movie props, dressed up liked the old westerns
type. (poc/mary poppins haunted mansion) & offered a
picture package for a small fee.

where are the disney managers' minds @? the best way
to encourage spending is to make'um feel happy or
a lil' special.:goodvibes

Pretty sure Chef Mickey's has most of this covered.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter