• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tower of Vegan Deliciousness and Other Vegan Disney Dining Reviews (August 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post. Shame I didn't read it earlier. We went to the Brown Derby last week and had the most awful food.

What is it with the " famous Cobb salad". We had it and it was dire. Mushy load of old mushy lettuce, tasteless turkey and a slightly rancid dressing.
Really bad soup. Stunningly bad dessert.
The best bit of the meal was indeed the bread!

Great post. Shame I didn't read it earlier. We went to the Brown Derby last week and had the most awful food.

What is it with the " famous Cobb salad". We had it and it was dire. Mushy load of old mushy lettuce, tasteless turkey and a slightly rancid dressing.
Really bad soup. Stunningly bad dessert.
The best bit of the meal was indeed the bread!

Ah, I see we are not the only ones who had a bad experience there. So sorry you didn't find out earlier! Better luck next time I guess :-/

Ah, I see we are not the only ones who had a bad experience there. So sorry you didn't find out earlier! Better luck next time I guess :-/

Not the only ones at all. I have had fantastic meals at the Brown Derby in years past but when DW ate there in January 08, it was lackluster and loud. The Cobb Salad was very disappointing. The service wasn't all that great either.

You two are AWESOME!!! :woohoo: Thank you SO much for the great review. As a new vegan I SO appreciate your review. My partner & I are going for our DISNEYMOON 10/11/10 and your review REALLY helped with making our choices. I had TOTALLY eliminated Ohanas' since we ate there last trip and FILLED up on meats..I had NO idea they were ready to help! Good to know.

As for the woman who was offended by you..I can relate. My soon to be son inlaw has ALOT of tattoos and a lip piercing. People see him and assume he does drugs! :scared1: Far from the truth. He's a quiet, hard working young man, who wouldn't hurt a fly. He just sees it as art and a way to express himself. People like that miss out on SO many amazing relationships, just by making that initial judgement.

Thank you BOTH for taking the time to share this with us!! ;)

Chris

You two are AWESOME!!! :woohoo: Thank you SO much for the great review. As a new vegan I SO appreciate your review. My partner & I are going for our DISNEYMOON 10/11/10 and your review REALLY helped with making our choices. I had TOTALLY eliminated Ohanas' since we ate there last trip and FILLED up on meats..I had NO idea they were ready to help! Good to know.

As for the woman who was offended by you..I can relate. My soon to be son inlaw has ALOT of tattoos and a lip piercing. People see him and assume he does drugs! :scared1: Far from the truth. He's a quiet, hard working young man, who wouldn't hurt a fly. He just sees it as art and a way to express himself. People like that miss out on SO many amazing relationships, just by making that initial judgement.

Thank you BOTH for taking the time to share this with us!! ;)

Chris

You are so very welcome! We posted this just for the sole purpose to help people, so I'm glad our goal was accomplished. I hope you have a great time there in October (but of course, how could you not?!) :goodvibes

Hi, When we stayed in Paris we went to the grocery store and got heaps of really yummy fresh ingredients to make at the apartment we were renting and also went to a yummy vegan asian restuarant but other than that a bit tricky, but we stayed at Disney resort Paris three nights, the saving grace was the free bfast buffet with fruits and quite alot of variet but then in the parks it was pretty difficult (and for us super expensive, Australian dollars to euros, at the time a counter serveice burger ,not that we wanted that was $25 Australian!! so we ate fries and felt pretty gross after 3 days as you can imagine:rotfl:

But I am excitited about the choices at WDW and to be honest I Probably didn't do enough research for disney resort paris as I wrongly assumed there would be heaps of options for us.:sad2:

A quick update:
Kitty (who helped us plan some of our meals and gave us tips on what to do and not to do) just posted a great review on the Chef TJ experience at 'Ohana. Looks like her meal was a lot like ours (and as you know that's a very good thing)!

http://land.allears.net/blogs/guestblog/2010/01/a_vegan_adventure_at_ohana_1.html

Boy, I hope I get as lucky as you guys! I have two 'Ohana ADRs booked for our trip, just in case he's not there the first night, in which case we'll cancel. :goodvibes

Boy, I hope I get as lucky as you guys! I have two 'Ohana ADRs booked for our trip, just in case he's not there the first night, in which case we'll cancel. :goodvibes

If he's there for both GO TO BOTH. I got another email from someone who ate their twice on his trip and got two totally different feasts (yes....awesome).

Just wanted to give an official heads up about Tangierine Cafe in Morroco at Epcot. I asked for the head chef and he came out. I asked him if the falafel were fried with the chicken and he said yes. But then he offered to make me some falafel that were NOT fried in the same oil as the chicken. So, if you want falafel that are not fried with chicken, ask for the head chef and ask if he would kindly make you some separate falafel balls. Here are some pics (sorry if I am piggy backing on your TR but this is the only part I have:upsidedow). I ordered the falafel wrap which came with couscous and lentils.
DisneyFoodPictures014.jpg

DisneyFoodPictures013.jpg

Just wanted to give an official heads up about Tangierine Cafe in Morroco at Epcot. I asked for the head chef and he came out. I asked him if the falafel were fried with the chicken and he said yes. But then he offered to make me some falafel that were NOT fried in the same oil as the chicken. So, if you want falafel that are not fried with chicken, ask for the head chef and ask if he would kindly make you some separate falafel balls. Here are some pics (sorry if I am piggy backing on your TR but this is the only part I have:upsidedow). I ordered the falafel wrap which came with couscous and lentils.

Thanks for the heads up! What a bummer about the falafel!
(Also, I hope you're not vegan. I know for sure that the lentil salad has dairy in it and I'm pretty sure that bread does too)

Thanks a bunch for the heads up about the falafel. I know that I'll be eating there again, so next time I'll just ask them to make the falafel in a separate pan or something. It's really great that these dining reviews exist...they're so helpful to others.
I strive to be as vegan as possible when I go out, and sometimes I just end up failing miserably or not eating at all. I think next time I go, and if I DO decide to go to 'Ohana, I am asking ahead of time if Chef TJ is working. If he's not, I don't think I'll be going back. I'm calling head next time!

I just want to say thanks to the OP for the super-informative dining reviews! :flower3: I have learned so much from them, and you clearly put a lot of time and effort into helping the rest of us make the best possible dining choices. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat red meat, and I love learning about healthier dining options for future trips. :)

I just want to say thanks to the OP for the super-informative dining reviews! :flower3: I have learned so much from them, and you clearly put a lot of time and effort into helping the rest of us make the best possible dining choices. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat red meat, and I love learning about healthier dining options for future trips. :)

No problem :) I'm glad we could help

Thanks for sharing your great food reviews. This will be my first trip to disney as a vegetarian and I am so excited to try some of these meals. :thumbsup2

That ketchup story is horrible. I also hate the smell and look of ketchup and would be sick if I saw that. I remember a girl I knew as a kid put ketchup all over EVERYTHING she ate, she even brought ketchup away to camp with her in case they didn't have enough. :scared:

That ketchup story is horrible. I also hate the smell and look of ketchup and would be sick if I saw that. I remember a girl I knew as a kid put ketchup all over EVERYTHING she ate, she even brought ketchup away to camp with her in case they didn't have enough. :scared:

YES. I have never known anyone to despise ketchup as much as I do. I freak out if the bottle even comes near me. I am so glad my back was to that "ketchup family". I probably would've puked all over my food if I was facing them, haha.

I just wanted to come back and thank you guys for such great reviews! I just re-read all of them to help me try to finalize mine and Jon's dining choices for May. I'm trying to cut back on all but 3-4 TS restaurants. (IT'S SO HARD! :laughing:)

Right now I have 'Ohana (x2), Tusker House, Crystal Palace, Mama Melrose's, and The Wave.

I think I'm going to cancel Crystal Palace and The Wave (since me and my sister will be be eating there next week). If Chef TJ is at 'Ohana the first night we're there, we'll probably cancel the second ADR (even though I won't want to). I might add Tony's Town Square, because I just looked on AllEars and saw that they added a new pasta dish that looks vegan, when ordered without the feta.

I really, really want to go to California Grill for our 5 1/2-year anniversary, but I'm sure it's kind of expensive. Since it's not on the menu, do you think you guys could send me a PM with a price range for the meal you recieved? I went ahead and got an ADR for 9:10 (Wishes is at 10:00!) on our half-anniversary date. But I might have to cancel it if it's too much. I would really, really appreciate it! :lovestruc

Edit: Dangit, I completely spaced out and forgot you were on the dining plan. I don't suppose the reciept you recieved had a cost on how much it would have been out of pocket?

Awesome reviews! Thanks for sharing! I'm also vegan and headed to WDW next week and I'm now super excited about Ohana. :woohoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter