Tower of Vegan Deliciousness and Other Vegan Disney Dining Reviews (August 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are awesome. Thanks for posting that...not much too longer to go before my husband and I embark on our honeymoon to the 'World, and we already sent in our dietary request form. Even though I should probably stop being paranoid and just relax, I'm still really nervous about how our meals are going to turn out. I didn't even know there was a dietary request hotline until I read your thread, so thanks for that.

Thank-you SO much for taking the time to write such a beautiful, informative & thourough review. I really appreciated it & it def came in handy during our 1st WDW visit a few weeks ago. DH is vegetarian and DS (10) is a picky-veggie-macaroni-ian and Chef TJ did a wonderful presentation not only for DH but ALSO for my lil guy and they were both tickled with what he prepared. I think all of us were blown away as well as a few tables around us!!!:goodvibes

Thanks again! :thumbsup2

You guys are awesome. Thanks for posting that...not much too longer to go before my husband and I embark on our honeymoon to the 'World, and we already sent in our dietary request form. Even though I should probably stop being paranoid and just relax, I'm still really nervous about how our meals are going to turn out. I didn't even know there was a dietary request hotline until I read your thread, so thanks for that.

Don't be nervous! Like we said in the review, the dietary request hotline wasn't the biggest thing to fill out - it's mostly letting the Cast Member who you made your ADRs with know your restrictions and then confirming them with the restaurant once you get there. Just don't be afraid to MAKE SURE the servers/chefs know your needs. You two will have an awesome time! What restaurants are you hitting up again?

Thank-you SO much for taking the time to write such a beautiful, informative & thorough review. I really appreciated it & it def came in handy during our 1st WDW visit a few weeks ago. DH is vegetarian and DS (10) is a picky-veggie-macaroni-ian and Chef TJ did a wonderful presentation not only for DH but ALSO for my lil guy and they were both tickled with what he prepared. I think all of us were blown away as well as a few tables around us!!!

Thanks again!

thanks so much! I'm glad you had an awesome time and that we could help a bit.

Great reviews - thanks!!!:thumbsup2

I ate at HBD with some friends in February 2009 and found it to be the worst place to go if you need any kind of accommodations. I keep kosher but will eat vegetarian at WDW and I also told them I had allergies but they were so unaccommodating and everything took so long, including the chef coming to the table. Really terrible experience there.

I wanted to eat at the Tangeriene Cafe in Morrocco but was worried about the falafel being fried up with the chicken and when I asked they said it was fried in the same oil. Really disappointing so I went elsewhere because I was afraid of eating unallowable foods.

Chef TJ is fantastic! I went with a group of carnivores and actually ordered the kosher veggie meals (prewrapped stuff) for my son and I but Chef TJ came out and tried to help us have even a better meal by adding in some yummy salad and fruit! I adore Chef TJ!!!!:love: He even made us a special dressing for the salad! I'd go there again but this time I'm going solo and don't feel it is the best atmosphere for solo diners.

California Grill is on my list - I was hesitant but after your review I am convinced they'd do right by me.

I highly recommend going to Jiko! The food was so delicious! I hope you get to try it out next time.

(I'd quote you to make things easier, but unfortunately I can't do that until I hit 10 posts.)

Thanks for the reassurance. We're going to be eating at pretty much every restaurant you two ate at. So, California Grill, 'Ohana, Sci Fi Diner, Tusker House, Boma, Sunshine Seasons, Tangerine Cafe are our ADRs ('cept for the last two since they're quick services, obvi). Was really surprised I managed to get a reservation for Cali Grill. I hadn't planned on eating there at all this trip but your pictures changed my mind :)

sup cute vegans! awesome reviews and commentary. i'm not vegan or even vego but i truly love vegetarian food and don't like to eat a lot of meat. the thought of eating meat three times a day makes me want to vom. :headache:

anyway, thanks for your efforts in writing up the reviews (and the photos). it's really great to see that there are at least some options for vegans and vegetarians.

Even though I should probably stop being paranoid and just relax, I'm still really nervous about how our meals are going to turn out.

You know, we were a bit nervous, too (especially me). When we got to our restaurants, we found that we really had nothing to worry about. Disney pretty much handles it all. You do have to make sure you speak to your server and/or the chef just to be EXTRA sure.

For everyone else (there are too many to quote!)... you're very welcome! Michael and I were almost as excited about helping other vegans eat at WDW as we were actually going on vacation! So many people helped us with our dining that we wanted to make sure we could help people as well :goodvibes

Great reviews - thanks!!!:thumbsup2

I ate at HBD with some friends in February 2009 and found it to be the worst place to go if you need any kind of accommodations. I keep kosher but will eat vegetarian at WDW and I also told them I had allergies but they were so unaccommodating and everything took so long, including the chef coming to the table. Really terrible experience there.
Amen

I wanted to eat at the Tangeriene Cafe in Morrocco but was worried about the falafel being fried up with the chicken and when I asked they said it was fried in the same oil. Really disappointing so I went elsewhere because I was afraid of eating unallowable foods.

That's really disappointing to hear. When I asked them about it, they said they fry the vegetarian meals separately. It's discouraging to hear different information. They were very accommodating there to us.

We're going to be eating at pretty much every restaurant you two ate at. So, California Grill, 'Ohana, Sci Fi Diner, Tusker House, Boma, Sunshine Seasons, Tangerine Cafe are our ADRs ('cept for the last two since they're quick services, obvi).

From everything I've heard, Tusker House and Boma are VERY similar (I guess Boma has just a few more options). I WISH we had gone to the Sci-Fi Diner as I've heard a couple good vegan reviews from there and the atmosphere looks AWESOME.
Also, judging from what mullertwin said, be careful at Tangierine Cafe if you get the falafel.

That's really disappointing to hear. When I asked them about it, they said they fry the vegetarian meals separately. It's discouraging to hear different information. They were very accommodating there to us.

Also, judging from what mullertwin said, be careful at Tangierine Cafe if you get the falafel.

I think it's so frustrating when we get such different answers. Even our Tusker House experiences are different in that the chef didn't tell me that the samosas were fried with meat! Yet you and the other veggie review I've seen here said the chef told them that.:sad2:

I think I will try Morrocco again and ask - maybe even ask for a manager. See, I was concerned because they have chicken nuggets on the menu so I know they fry them and was wondering if it was one fryer or not. Maybe something changed since I was there. We all know that WDW food changes constantly.

I've avoided Sci Fi because of the menu having only the one tofu dish and I am particular about my tofu. I haven't found any tofu at WDW that I've liked the texture of (Tusker House & Boma were the only places I tried it). I'm also not found of overly sweet entrees. Although I bet Chef TJ does a great tofu!:goodvibes

Thanks for the reviews!

We are going back in March and I think we will def have to go to O'hana's. We could not get an ADR before.

Me and Jon are going back next May! I booked us an ADR at 'Ohana for a Sunday night, so I'm hoping to have your luck and get Chef TJ this time around :goodvibes

Thanks for the reviews!

We are going back in March and I think we will def have to go to O'hana's. We could not get an ADR before.

'Ohana is such a great restaurant (for both meat eaters and non). Hope you can snag an ADR :)

Me and Jon are going back next May! I booked us an ADR at 'Ohana for a Sunday night, so I'm hoping to have your luck and get Chef TJ this time around :goodvibes

Sooo jealous you're going back so soon. I hope you're able to get Chef TJ! He is such a sweet guy! How were you able to book an ADR so early?

Sorry to arrive sooooo late
These reviews are great. I am vegetarian, not vegan and it's so great to see such a variety of food on offer that would suit even hard nosed meat eaters
Sounds like you had a great trip :cool1:

Sorry to arrive sooooo late
These reviews are great. I am vegetarian, not vegan and it's so great to see such a variety of food on offer that would suit even hard nosed meat eaters
Sounds like you had a great trip :cool1:

We did indeed :) thanks for reading

Awesome thread!

I still cannot get over the woman at The Mara. I'm glad someone commented about pointing out all the fat, sweaty people. Or what about the people yelling at their kids? That traumatizes me every time!

Anyhoo :rolleyes1 I'm glad you guys had a (mostly) great experience. I've been eating less and less meat and decided I'd do our next trip as a Pescatarian (I don't eat soy), mostly as an experiment. We've been so many times I thought I'd throw something new in there.

I'm super excited to see the gluten-free buns!!!

Thanks you guys!

Hi there!! this is my first post. I have lurked for awhile but have been inspired by your stories of vegan disney that I have decided to post. My partner and me are also both vegans and going to disney world in October. One year ago we traveled to disney resort paris and had a nightmare of fries, fries and fries to eat for 3 days!!:scared1:But I am so happy to see that things can be much different this time around.:cheer2:

Thankyou!!:love:

Hi there!! this is my first post. I have lurked for awhile but have been inspired by your stories of vegan disney that I have decided to post. My partner and me are also both vegans and going to disney world in October. One year ago we traveled to disney resort paris and had a nightmare of fries, fries and fries to eat for 3 days!!:scared1:But I am so happy to see that things can be much different this time around.:cheer2:

Thankyou!!:love:

Emily and I often talk about going to Paris but I know French food is notorious for being one of the most dairy-centric cuisines in existence....so we are leery.
I'll just have to do my research.

If there's anything we can do to help you on your trip, please let us know.

Awesome thread!

I still cannot get over the woman at The Mara. I'm glad someone commented about pointing out all the fat, sweaty people. Or what about the people yelling at their kids? That traumatizes me every time!
Or those kids with the ketchup! All of that ketchup! UGH!!

I'm super excited to see the gluten-free buns!!!

Thanks you guys!

No problem! Sometimes those buns take a little bit for the cast members to scare up, so you have to be patient, but it is worth it right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter