Totally Dazed and Confused........

Pikester

DIS Veteran
Hello Universal fans!

My name is Pikester and I'm trying to gather information about Universal Studios/Island of Adventure, the on site hotels and vacation packages. DH, Me, DS11 and DS7 have been to WDW twice and have decided to venture away from the Mouse for a new experience. Our trip wouldn't be till 2010 or 2011 but I figure it never hurts to start planning. :goodvibes I, for some reason, am having a hard time finding the right information or am having a hard to understanding it.

Can anyone recommend a good book(s) to read that would help or point me to some websites that could help me?

I really hate asking for help when I'm sure the answers are right here. I just seem to be having a hard time sorting it out.

hh3.gif

Check out the links Damo provided and check back if you have any specific questions. We are here to help! :teeth:

Thank you so much for responding! I guess I'll have to make myself a cup of hot tea and dive in.

Welcome Pikester.Like the OP's said you have found the right place to ask questions.Just do the reading they refered and come back with any questions,we can answer:thumbsup2

you usually come out ahead financially if you buy the park tickets and book the room separately.

you can still buy the promo passes of 7 days both parks now.
it is at a cheap price, cheaper than if you bought tickets for 2 days.

if you buy those ticket passes now, they are valid for the future.

once you use them, they expire 6 days later.

with the parry hotter portion opening next year, who knows if ticket prices will increase or stay the same.

You have found the best place for all of your answers!!! I would start by reading this http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1353733 and then just start firing questions at us. We would be very glad to help you out!!!

There is also a Universal Hotels sections too.
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Thank you damo for the links. Just finished reading the first one you mentioned. I felt a little bad after reading everyone's wish that the newbies would do more research before they posted a question (Since I'm a newbie). I'm still glad I did because for some reason I missed that link and it had some good info in the first post.

Check out the links Damo provided and check back if you have any specific questions. We are here to help! :teeth:

Nice to meet you Metro West!

Welcome Pikester.Like the OP's said you have found the right place to ask questions.Just do the reading they refered and come back with any questions,we can answer:thumbsup2

Thank you for the welcome donaldduck352!

you usually come out ahead financially if you buy the park tickets and book the room separately.

with the parry hotter portion opening next year, who knows if ticket prices will increase or stay the same.

Thank you for the advice macraven. I will pass along the info to DH. He is the money man! :laughing: One of the reason's we are waiting to go (besides saving the funds) is to see Harry Potter Land. We are big fans!

you might get some posters to name a few of the books out there that some newbies buy before their UO trip.

i have read them and have not found anything i already didn't know.
in some books, there are errors in them.

you might want to subscribe to the thread about parry hotter in the main universal forum. you'll be able to stay ahead of what's happening there before you even get there.

once you are closer to your vacation, we can give you loads of tips and info on the parks.

do go to the website: universalorlando.com and check out the interactive map for both parks.
it will give information that you will find interesting.

the menus for the food places can be found on allears.net

the information for city walk is also on a website.

they have great dining, shops and outdoor entertainment on the weekends.

I think the best book is the Universal guide by Kelly Monaghan, it helped me a lot my trip this past Sept. You can get it on Amazon.

Just bumping up this thread to ask a question. I already checked with the OP (I know her from somewhere else :goodvibes ) and she said it's cool if I jump into the thread she started.

I'm also planning my family's first vacation to Universal. We've gone to Disney for the last 3 years and truthfully, we need a change.

I've read through a lot of the threads on here and found tons of great information. I do have a question on the child swap at Universal. We have 2 younger girls who definitely won't be able to ride the thrill rides.

Could someone tell me how the child swap at Universal works? Is it the same as Disney where they give you a pass and so many people can return with you to ride?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Could you tell me where to find information on the promo passes please? I looked, and haven't seen them mentioned yet.

TIA :)

Just bumping up this thread to ask a question. I already checked with the OP (I know her from somewhere else :goodvibes ) and she said it's cool if I jump into the thread she started.

I'm also planning my family's first vacation to Universal. We've gone to Disney for the last 3 years and truthfully, we need a change.

I've read through a lot of the threads on here and found tons of great information. I do have a question on the child swap at Universal. We have 2 younger girls who definitely won't be able to ride the thrill rides.

Could someone tell me how the child swap at Universal works? Is it the same as Disney where they give you a pass and so many people can return with you to ride?

when you do the child swap, one caretaker will stay in the child swap room area with the child. some have couches and chairs and are comfy.
the child swap at dueling dragons is the only one i am aware of that is on the small side.

everyone but the person that is taking care of the child, will go on the ride first.

when that group returns, switch the caretakers and everyone can ride again.

yes, the group that rode the first time gets to ride again on the child swap set up.
2 rides for some in your group always goes over grand.

it is not the same as disney as everyone in your group can ride twice.
all you are doing is switching the adult that is taking care of the littles that can not go on the ride.
also, most child swap areas have it in a separate room
cat in the hat has a great one, so does MIB.

don't be shy. any questions posted usually get answered in the threads.
in fact, many times the subject will change along the way.
it was nice the op didn't mind you getting information in her thread.
if you don't get many replies, start a new thread for more answers.
since the title of her thread might not cover what you need to know, it might be overlooked by those reading and not realizing there are other questions in the thread.
i answered your child swap question before this post.

Could you tell me where to find information on the promo passes please? I looked, and haven't seen them mentioned yet.

TIA :)

for tickets:
http://www.universalorlando.com/tickets.html

hot deals including hotel:
http://www.universalorlando.com/tickets/hot-deals.html

click on the first link and go to the box on the right side upper corner that states 2 park unlimited for $94.99
that is the 7 day unlimited 2 park pass.

it is listed in detail below:

2-PARK UNLIMITED ADMISSION

Unlimited park-to-park admission to both Universal Studios Florida AND Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme parks for up to seven (7) consecutive days
FREE admission to select live entertainment venues* at Universal’s CityWalk entertainment complex.
This offer is only available online and is not available at the front gate or either theme park.
Ticket expires six (6) days after first day of use at either theme park or Citywalk.
Photo ID must be presented at front gate turnstile and Citywalk.
Signature may be required on ticket.
Limit of six (6) tickets per purchase.
Parking not included.
Ticket does not include admission to Wet 'n Wild.

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
2 Day Advance Purchase Required - This ticket must be purchased at least 2 days in advance of your visit to Universal Orlando Theme Parks.

*Ticket(s) valid for admission to select Universal CityWalk Orlando clubs and venues for 7 consecutive nights including first day any portion of the ticket is used. Not valid for separately ticketed concerts, shows, and special events. Does not include admission to Universal Cineplex 20, an AMC Theatre or the Blue Man Group Show. Subject to availability. Some venues require ages 21 or older for admission. Valid Photo ID required. Restrictions apply. Benefits are subject to change without notice.

I think the best book is the Universal guide by Kelly Monaghan, it helped me a lot my trip this past Sept. You can get it on Amazon.
I want to second this. This book gave me a good idea of what to expect and where everything was before our first trip. :thumbsup2

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I bought the book and it is great!:thumbsup2 Unfortunately, our plans to go to Universal in 2010 have been moved to 2011 because DH surprised me with a Nov/Dec 2009 WDW trip!:woohoo:All my Universal research has been put on the back burner. I just didn't want you to think that I lost my desire for Universal.

Have a good night!

Well, at least the crowd level will have simmered down by then...maybe...but then again it is Harry Potter! WooHoo! We are going back same time as you...possibly 2010 or 2011...first time was Christmas last year, you will have a great time for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter