Total number of DVC members

ziravan

Welcome Home
I am looking over documents sent with PVB paperwork and the multi-site POS has a disclosure document that says as of 5/20/14 the following number of DVC memberships exist, by resort:

OKW (referred to as DVC) - 26,890

BWV - 18,967

Vero - 5001

HHI - 4800

VWL - 7654

BCV - 10,577

SSR - 49,026

AKV - 27,712

BLT - 19,884

Aulani - 10,689

VGF - 4102

VGC - 3527

Total: 188,839

I've repeatedly heard the number of 500,000 used as to how many DVC members there are. These numbers seem to be far fewer than that. And since this divides memberships by resorts, multiple resort owners of different resorts would seem to be counted multiple times. That would make the number of discreet members far smaller.

Just thought this was curious.

Disney isn't big sharing numbers. Over the years they have mentioned members and memberships, a membership could have several members.

As DVC owners we feel that we should receive better perks, improved IT and website functionality, and we don't understand why things don't get fixed.

In Disney's world, we bring in the bucks with billions in DVC contract sales but when you look at the number of members, the numbers are so small, it isn't worth their time to give us a second thought.

:earsboy: Bill

Wow that is less then I thought I am 3 of those numbers since my points are split. I have never had a problem with any services we do have a dedicated department to call? No?

They quoted those numbers as of May 3, 2014.

According to DVCNews' April 2014 monthly sales, VGF was 47.3% sold at the end of April, 2014.

So: 2,520,800 * .473 = 1,192,338 points sold across 4,102 memberships.

Or, 291 points per average membership. I find that difficult to believe.

So the question becomes: how is "membership" defined?

I wonder how many points were allocated to each resort, then we can get a idea of average member point ownership, it may tell us if the numbers are widely off.

The POS says the numbers in the OP are "Club Members" per resort and defines that term to mean; "the owner of record of an Ownership interest."

Still. 291 point average contract per member seems off to me.

Owner of record, a membership may have several owners. A membership may own several contracts, some owners may have more than one membership.

:earsboy: Bill

This Disney press release from 2012 states 175,000 "member families" and 500K individual members.

http://aboutdisneyparks.com/news/pr...tinues-grow-vacationing-families-discover-its

Those numbers seem pretty consistent with historical values presented. In the early '00s, DVC would frequently cite the member families figure in press releases and other literature. Back then it was in the 75-85K range. First mention I could find of "individual members" was the 2007 announcement of AKV when they cited a 300K figure.

There is still some ambiguity in the data. My best guess is that each owner ("member family") is only counted once at the resort where the Master Contract originated. In other words, if I first bought points at BLT and later added-on at VGF, I'm only counted once for BLT.

If my back-of-a-napkin math is accurate, the SSR averages seem very off if every individual owner were counted. Dividing the total points at SSR by the 49K owners listed in the POS, I came up with a contract average around 280 points. IMO that's way too high. I would propose that any current member (owner at OKW, BWV, HHI, etc.) who later added-on at SSR is not being counted among the 49K listed owners.

As of 31 Dec, 2013 there were approximately 195,213 members per an audit done related to exchanges. The differences appear to be memberships vs individual names. I also suspect the larger number includes the total number of names listed such that one who owns multiple contracts would be counted more than once.

i mean you can figure out a general average by asking on here how many points people have.....i have 220 total points......you can see what most people i feel about average

There is still some ambiguity in the data. My best guess is that each owner ("member family") is only counted once at the resort where the Master Contract originated. In other words, if I first bought points at BLT and later added-on at VGF, I'm only counted once for BLT.

I tend to agree with tjkraz: The numbers reported in the POS probably reflect the number of active Master Contracts for each resort. I have a BLT master contract that includes two AKV deeds and one Aulani deed. Yet, I'm only counted once as a BLT member.

Master contract numbers are an interesting yet imprecise way of measuring membership. Each resort has its own master contract prefix number except for OKW, which uses only the member number. The prefix numbers reflect the order the resorts joined the DVC system. A master contract that starts off with the number '2' is a Vero Beach master contract; 3 - HHI; 4- BWV; 5 - VWL; 6 - BCV; 7 - SSR; 8 - AKV Jambo; 9 - AKV Kidani; 10 - BLT; 11 - VGC; 12 - Aulani; 13 - VGF; and 14 - PVB.

Master contract numbers are issued sequentially, so the lower the master contract number, the longer the person has been a member. As of earlier this month, OKW master contract numbers were over 44,200, BWV was at 31,300, VGF was around 11,700, while PVB was still under 100.

I think master contracts numbers is a reasonable way to count memberships, if they counted all the names on the master contract. All those that are named on the deeds are members. So the disparity is probably the different way DVC counts the membership. Maybe the POS should say master contracts sold. Most members prefer that their entire family is counted as members so sometimes DVC reports the higher figure, even though the children will probably never have DVC member cards, until their names are added to the deeds when they are adults.

I would be curious at the total number of add on contracts. I bet DVC has that figure as well.

This Disney press release from 2012 states 175,000 "member families" and 500K individual members.

http://aboutdisneyparks.com/news/pr...tinues-grow-vacationing-families-discover-its

Those numbers seem pretty consistent with historical values presented. In the early '00s, DVC would frequently cite the member families figure in press releases and other literature. Back then it was in the 75-85K range. First mention I could find of "individual members" was the 2007 announcement of AKV when they cited a 300K figure.

If my back-of-a-napkin math is accurate, the SSR averages seem very off if every individual owner were counted. Dividing the total points at SSR by the 49K owners listed in the POS, I came up with a contract average around 280 points. IMO that's way too high. I would propose that any current member (owner at OKW, BWV, HHI, etc.) who later added-on at SSR is not being counted among the 49K listed owners.

When doing this math, don't forget that corporate DVC retains a large number of points at each resort so they can do repairs etc. This will drive the averages up some.

Is it possible that they're only counting those who purchased from Disney directly as Club Members in this particular document? I just reviewed the doc in my POS book and it doesn't say either way, but I thought I'd still throw this out there as a possible explanation for the discrepancy.

When doing this math, don't forget that corporate DVC retains a large number of points at each resort so they can do repairs etc. This will drive the averages up some.

Maintenance holdings are 2%...not a particularly large number.

Is it possible that they're only counting those who purchased from Disney directly as Club Members in this particular document? I just reviewed the doc in my POS book and it doesn't say either way, but I thought I'd still throw this out there as a possible explanation for the discrepancy.

All contracts were first sold direct, so they are probably all accounted for.

This thread was from two years ago. Does anyone have updated numbers on how many DVC owners/members there are?

I tend to agree with tjkraz: The numbers reported in the POS probably reflect the number of active Master Contracts for each resort. I have a BLT master contract that includes two AKV deeds and one Aulani deed. Yet, I'm only counted once as a BLT member.

Master contract numbers are an interesting yet imprecise way of measuring membership. Each resort has its own master contract prefix number except for OKW, which uses only the member number. The prefix numbers reflect the order the resorts joined the DVC system. A master contract that starts off with the number '2' is a Vero Beach master contract; 3 - HHI; 4- BWV; 5 - VWL; 6 - BCV; 7 - SSR; 8 - AKV Jambo; 9 - AKV Kidani; 10 - BLT; 11 - VGC; 12 - Aulani; 13 - VGF; and 14 - PVB.

Master contract numbers are issued sequentially, so the lower the master contract number, the longer the person has been a member. As of earlier this month, OKW master contract numbers were over 44,200, BWV was at 31,300, VGF was around 11,700, while PVB was still under 100.

Interesting. So you always have a reminder of where you started. :goodvibes

There is a way of getting a fairly accurate count of the total number of club members (not just memberships) that own at a particular resort as of November 2016. Go to your Notice of 2016 Annual Meeting of Board of Directors which contains the annual budget for your resort for 2017. It was provided in November 2016 and you can find it online at the Member site by opening "MY DVC Membership" and click on "Condo Association News," and at next page open "Meeting Notices and Information" and you will find your resort budget document under "General Meeting Notice and 2017 Budget Notice."

In the budget document there is an operating budget entry for the amount charged for "DVC Reservation Component." For BWV it is $29,186, and for AKV, it is $45,982 (perhaps owners of other resorts can provide the number they have so we can get a DVC total). The DVC Reservation Component is the reservation system as it relates to members using it to reserve DVC resorts other than their own. That charge in the budget is one that equals $1 per member owner of the resort and thus provides the total number of owners at the resort not just number of memberships, and excludes children and others in the household who are not actual member owners. It may have some double counting in that anyone who has two separate membership numbers (separate use years) at a resort may be counted twice. It also has a weakness if you try to use it to add the numbers from all the resorts to get a total for all resorts because any member who owns at two resorts will be counted for each resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter