Total number of DVC members

Since DVC now uses the RCI points program audit to satisfy the state requirements, that document does not give much info on this subject. I haven't tracked the BVTC audits the last couple of years given the nature of the program but the audit for that should give an accurate measure of the number of members (master contracts) through Dec, 15 (16 should be out in a few months). Or one could call corporate and ask.

I have them all now. Using the total members for each resort taken from the DVC Reservation Component budget entry, you get the following total number of DVC members as of November 2016:

AKV 45,982
BWV 29,186
Poly 25,201
BCV 18,457
Aulani 31,268
BLT 35,764
VGC 7,403
VGF 17,746
HHI 8,624
VB 11,485
SSR 85,060
BRV 11,864
OKW 51,958

Total 379,998

With the probable error that owners of more than one resort are double counted in the grand total, and the possible error that those who have two use years at one resort may be double counted for the particular resort total. The number of memberships would be much lower since the above numbers count husband and wife as two, and to get to 500,000 or more members, you would really need to include the kids in the family.

Last edited:
I have them all now. Using the total members for each resort taken from the DVC Resrevation Component budget entry, you get the following total number of DVC members as of November 2016:

AKV 45,982
BWV 29,186
Poly 25,201
BCV 18,457
Aulani 31,268
BLT 35,764
VGC 7,403
VGF 17,746
HHI 8,624
VB 11,485
SSR 85,060
BRV 11,864
OKW 51,958

Total 379,998

With the probable error that owners of more than one resort are double counted in the grand total, and the possible error that those who have two use years at one resort may be double counted for the particular resort total. The number of memberships would be much lower since the above numbers count husband and wife as two, and to get to 500,000 or more members, you would really need to include the kids in the family.

So. Let's make a few assumptions.

Per OP, in May 2014, there were about 189,000 memberships and in Nov 2016, there are about 380,000 members.

Assume 20,000 new memberships between 5/'14 and 11/'16 and:

219,000 memberships
380,000 members

Give or take. That doesn't count double dippers. Since I own two different resorts in two different UY, I'm probably counted twice on both lists.

My guess is that likely happens far more often on the member count because of how it was acquired (per resort instead of per contract),

To get a good "guess", I think it'd be reasonable to assume this membership list is inflated by 5% by people like me, and 20% by members owning multiple resorts on the members side. So:

~199,000 unique memberships
~305,000 unique members.

Since most memberships are likely listing two spouses, sounds like the right ratio.

Last edited:
In the past when DVC mentioned the number of members during an event or at the association meeting the numbers were all over the place. Guides would tell one number, management another. I gave up trying to figure out what was correct.

:earsboy: Bill

So. Let's make a few assumptions.

Per OP, in May 2014, there were about 189,000 memberships and in Nov 2016, there are about 380,000 members.

Assume 20,000 new memberships between 5/'14 and 11/'16 and:

211,000 memberships
380,000 members

Give or take. That doesn't count double dippers. Since I own two different resorts in two different UY, I'm probably counted twice on both lists.

My guess is that likely happens far more often on the member count because of how it was acquired (per resort instead of per contract),

To get a good "guess", I think it'd be reasonable to assume this membership list is inflated by 5% by people like me, and 20% by members owning multiple resorts on the members side. So:

~180,000 unique memberships
~305,000 unique members.

Since most memberships are likely listing two spouses, sounds like the right ratio.

Maybe i'm understanding you incorrectly but because of inflated numbers your guesstimate is that there are 9.000 less memberships now than compared to may 2014 ?

Maybe i'm understanding you incorrectly but because of inflated numbers your guesstimate is that there are 9.000 less memberships now than compared to may 2014 ?
I fixed a typo that changed my math.

That said, the same inflation existed then, too. If you apply the same guess of 5% inflation (double counted members/memberships, like me), then May '14 would estimate to be:

180,000 vs about 20,000 more memberships over the past few years.

180,000 May'14 vs 199,000 Nov'16

Both the 20K increase and 5% double count are guesses, but I think they're reasonable ones. I think the true count is closer to those adjustments than not accounting for known probable variances.

For example, the period between those two dates includes all the sales at Poly through 11/'16. And the 11/'16 report shows 25K Poly members, and I think the ratio of .67/1 memberships vs members is reasonable, so Poly alone would account for almost 17,000 new memberships.

I'm less sure about making assumptions about number of members. You'd certainly have a decent percentage of single owners, but you'd also have a decent percentage of memberships with adult kids on the deeds, > 2 owners. I don't know how well those two pools offset.

Based on these numbers, DVC has about 200,000 unique contracts that includes more than 300,000 unique members. My best guess is the 200K memberships is fairly close to accurate while the number of total members is less precise. I'd be surprised if DVC had 250K unique memberships, but not surprised if I found out they had north if 350K unique members.

Last edited:
And. The May'14 numbers came from the Poly Master declarations that I got with my Poly contract.

There should be updated numbers in the CCV contract documents. Somebody with a CCV contract could give us updated numbers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter