• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Top WDW Don'ts and How to Avoid Them

Dont forget to drink lots of water, even in the cooler months. We found that with all the walking we got very thristy! You might want to bring your own bottles as it can be $$ in the parks. Consider also bringing some of those little packets of flavoring powder (ie Crystal Light) to kill the bad taste of FL water.

Dont forget to label your kids somehow. Mine wear id bracelets 24/7 (even at home) with their names, our names and cell #s. Instruct them what to do if you get separated, and arrange a meeting place for older kids.

Dont forget to charge up the cell phone, and be sure it cant fall out of your pocket on a ride, like mine did.

Dont forget to label your stroller (if using one). I take a bright yellow bandana, iron on our last name and pin it to the sunshade. Makes finding it in a sea of strollers a lot easier and faster!

Dont forget to use the package delivery service if staying on site. Its much nicer to be able to buy something you see in the parks, then have it delivered to your room vs lugging it around.

alison

READ THE MAP and Times Guide each day!

This will prevent you from being uninformed. I am always surprised at those who show up asking where something is only to get mad when I point out that they are in the wrong place. Most times it is because they didn't want to be bothered with the map.

Unless you have the place memorized....grab a map/times guide on your way into the park or at any service counter.

Don't have too high expectations! Prepare them for things experienced Disers take for granted - high prices (paying more for one Coke than you would a 12 pack at home), long lines (always have a Fastpass in hand) and heat (get lots of free ice water in the parks). Encourage breaks (the pool may be one of the highlights of their trip!!) but I couldn't justify a whole day if they're only there for 5 and you don't know if they'll be back.

See Fantasmic! Also, they should try to eat dinner/breakfast at some of the resorts they aren't staying in. I always love walking through the other resorts...to figure out where I might want to stay the next time! but they can be just as much of an attraction! Otherwise, the other DISers have it covered!!

allow lots of time to get from park to park or to other hotels for Character breakfawsts etc. Busses are not always on schedule.

spend a day away from the hotel and parks-go shopping, out for lunch, enjoy the sites

Spend a night at Downtown Disney with a hot chocolate (and whipped cream), even if it's hot out

go with the flow! don't rush it, enjoy it. Spend 1/2 day at MK, and 1/2 day at EPCOT and do the rest another day

have icecream for lunch :yay:

bring a light backpack with drinks and other necessities. Don;t try to go to the park without packing something. It will get lighter as you drinkt he water and eat the snacks.

if you bring your own stroller, make it IDENTIFYABLE!

Try not to bring a stroller to Fantasmic, as you will have very hard time finding it.

Make a list of the things you really want to do in each park. The "must do's" for your family. And do them. Don't wait until the last day to decide to see some characters if you have children-plan who are the ones you really want to see and then find them early. We almost had a Princess Aurora disaster.(they are not all out everyday!) Don't forget to stop and smell the roses........

Bring an organizer for over the bathroom door to hold all of your toiletries, keys, and all the little things that tend to get lost. Also bring a pop up hamper that you can get at the dollar store. INVALUABLE if you have a big family like me. Make sure everyone knows the schedule for the day. What's for breakfast, what time you are leaving for the parks, what time you will be returning, and what ADR is for dinner. Let kids know what you expect as far as time schedules and various rules. They tend to think things change from the way they are at home when you're on vacation. :rolleyes: :confused3

You will never see it all so. . . move slowly, pay attention to detail. Don't rush by the unexpected performance or character they won't be there when you return. Smile at everyone it helps you remember you are not alone in a sea of people. Don't step into the path of a moving wheelchair they might not be able (or willing) to stop on a dime. Same goes for strolers. Along the same line, don't walk backwards (unless you are Mater you can't see where you are going). :thumbsup2

Lots of good advice so far.

I would just add that it helps to have a touring plan. Start at one end of the park and work your way around to the attractions you really want to see IN ORDER. Try to avoid multiple trips back and forth, criss-crossing the parks repeatedly throughout the day. Pick a starting point, and then work clockwise (or counter clockwise)... stopping at everyone's 'must see' attractions along the way. You will all feel a lot better (less frazzled and exhausted) at the end of the day if you do this little bit of pre-planning, and your feet will thank you too.

Drink plenty or water, don't forget the sunscreen, and be sure to schedule 'time outs' (be that time in an air conditioned attraction, at a sit down meal, a break to go back to the resort for a rest/pool time, or just sitting on a shaded bench for a few minutes to enjoy a Mickey ice-cream bar)... especially during the hottest parts of the day. You'll have a more enjoyable vacation if you slow down a little, relax and don't try to push anyone beyond their limitations. You can't see it all in one visit, so take your time and thoroughly enjoy what you do see while there.

Our family also recommends that, for most people, booking through a TA can be a wonderful way to go. It's like having your own personal concierge service (the TA can make most if not all of your ADRs for you, and will watch for & alert you regarding the release of special deals and discounts). It saves me time and money that would otherwise be spent on the phone making & confirming my ressies with Disney.

We also prefer to stay on site (having done it both ways in the past). Perks for onsite guests include the Extra Magic Hours in the parks, easy access to Disney's transportation system directly from your resort, free parking (if you are using a car to get around 'The World'), etc.. We find it far more relaxing and stress free.

Get up early and do all the big attractions first. You can get to all your top attractions and more before huge lines begin to form.

Then for the rest of the day (after noon) take it easy and go to the shows. They usually have pretty huge capacities. (Also, grab fastpasses throughout the day for whatever attraction you want to experience later)

If you are into the parades, go see them. If not, it's the perfect time to go on the rides since everyone else will be at the parades!

Make ADRs and have a nice relaxing dinner.

After dinner, a lot of rides will not have lines anymore...Use those fastpasses you got earlier - and experience the attractions with little wait.

Finally, do NOT miss the nighttime spectaculars! Wishes, Illuminations, and Fantasmic! are all amazing.

And of course, develop some kind of touring plan so you know which attractions are more important to hit first. :)

Number 1 advice I can give....Be Flexible!!
Like other said...allow yourselves plenty of time traveling to get from place to place. You never know when there is going to be an insane line at the bus stop, or when the monorail stops 'momentarily' waiting for traffic clearance. Murphy's Law...if it can happen, it will. So be flexible. Be prepared to wait in line for awhile. Expect that you might run into some 'not so friendly' people, and don't let it or the weather ruin your time. The first time going to WDW can be a bit overwhelming...but I know that the DIS has many experts that can help them plan their trip and know what to expect before they arrive.

Is Wonderful & Magical, that makes it more enjoyable !
DO Have a GamePlan before you get there
BE willing to go-with-the-flow
ASK questions on the DIS boards
SIT on a Bench & take a Break
DO NOT be on a 'diet", ENJOY the meals & restaurants (think about the Dining Plan,awesome deal)
BUY a souvenir when you see it, don't say "I'll get it later", shops carry many different items
DON'T necessarily need to rent a car (if flying), use Dinsey Busses & Boats, we always take advantage of Disney Transportation
DON'T overpack, really. I always do & never use half the stuff
DON't be shocked by prices/costs at WDW, know ahead of time that stuff is more expensive there & get over it
BE willing to make changes to your schedule

REMEMBER: WDW cannot be done on one vacation, know that now, it is BIG, HUGH & TERRIFIC !!

ENJOY THE PLANNING, TRY NOT TO GET OVERWHELMED (Yeah, right, its easy to do)
YOU WILL LOVE IT !!! ::cop: :beach: :genie: :butterfly :dogdance: :fish: :goofy: :donald: :mickeyjum :figment:

Relax and as my dd (5) always reminds me to - take time to smell the roses. There is a lot to see and do at WDW. As many of the previous posters have said you can not do it all in one vacation. DD and I always pick our favorites and then just enjoy our extra time in the parks.

Take a break at a sit down attraction such as the Hall of Presidents or Muppets 3D. It's cool and dark and very relaxing. My husband loves the time to take a quick power nap :thumbsup2

Be armed with information. As helpful as the boards are, I think a good book is invaluable. I like: The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, 2006 by Bob Sehlinger and Len Testa , I bought it before my first trip and again in planning my upcoming trip. It really explains everything and you then know what questions you need to ask on the boards!

My other big advice - SWIM - If you have kids. Plan it. All kids ever want to do on vacation is SWIM in the hotel pool. Plan for it and don't get frustrated when they are begging to go to the pool, just tell them when you have it scheduled for. Best to do it in the very beginning and then again every evening for just a few minutes.

Hope they have a magical trip!
Katy :sunny:

Coloradomom said:
Trying to do everything in one trip! Recommend they have a general plan based on what they like, but be flexible to adapt if they want to repeat some thing they like a lot. Trying to do everything will make it all less enjoyable.

DITTO! DITTO! DITTO! I know so many families that have gone down expecting to do everything and when they come back they're disappointed they didn't get to do this or that. Have each family member pick One major thing that they absolutely Have to do. Then let everything else just fall into place. I've been to Disney 46 times and I still have yet to see and do everything. It's impossible to do and see it all!

Lots of good advice so far. A few I will reiterate...

Be flexible!
Take breaks!
Drink lots of water!
Don't sweat the small stuff!
If at all possible, avoid an unecessary line by not taking any bags into the parks!
Make ADRs!
Eat breakfast (bring some stuff from home to eat in the room)!
Stay onsite!

Be easy going and understanding... and you won't let little mishaps ruin your whole day or trip!

Depending on the crowds, pack some tylenol, just in case! Yes, this is the happiest place on earth, but unfortunately not everyone is aware of that...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter