Top of the World Lounge ?

disneyma

Can't wait to get back to DVC and Disney....
I got a call from a friend, Who is a very reliable source of information. The powers to be are thinking of turning the lounge into some type of banquet facility for catering instead. It appears they just aren't turning the revenue to make a profit. I see that as a very serious turn of events for many BLT owners.

Time will tell.....

:confused3

Open it up for ALL dvc owners. When were stayed there we went to the lounge every night and were about the only people there. Got a crowd on the balcony just before Wishes but left soon as it was over.

We also noticed it virtually empty when we were there other than for the fireworks of course. My comments about it and why I'll not go out of my way to go up there again is A: most of the tables are high-tops and not comfortable to "lounge" in. The comfy places always had people in them. B: neither the bartender nor the waiter were remotely helpful. We could have walked out w/o paying because no one payed any attention to us nor asked if we wanted anything. We had gone up and gotten our own drinks but the bartender wouldn't take our money to pay for them so we left it sitting there on the bar for 15 minutes while we took a high-top a few feet away. We finally wanted to go and had to try pretty hard to get the waiter's attention to tell him we wanted to pay. No one asked if we wanted anything else. I mean, if they want to make money, how about having someone ASK people there if they want something? The few others that were there were having desserts but we just sat there, ignored. We would have ordered desserts if they had asked, but we just got annoyed instead and went back to our room and ordered room service desserts.
Of course, experiences may vary, but that was our 3 weeks ago.

I thought they declared it to the timeshare last fall, making BLT owners responsible for maintenance.

Disney will do whatever is in the best interest for Disney! If they think having a banquet facility will make more $ they will do it. With BLT being sold out (or close to), they no longer need to offer the lounge as an incentive to get people to buy.

I will be very upset if we loose this perk! I've always had great service and look forward to visiting the lounge when we stay at BLT.

If the lounge is changed, I hope they would leave a portion of the roof fireworks viewing open for DVC members staying there. That is one of the reasons we book a room at BLT. We do love the lounge as well, we frequent it a few nights of every trip to BLT.

It's well known that TOTWL is a marketing tool that has been under used by BLT guests. CM's who are assigned to work there hate it because they don't make any tips compared to other locations.

As soon as BLT is sold out, TOTWL will probably close.

:earsboy: Bill

I thought they declared it to the timeshare last fall, making BLT owners responsible for maintenance.

Disney can pretty much do what ever they want. Just because they declared the TOTWL space to the association along with making the owners responsible for the property tax, maintenance, utilities, and cleaning, doesn't mean that TOTWL will remain open or that Food & Beverage will continue to man it at Disney's expense.

How much are the BLT owners willing to pay to keep the lounge open?

For those who "know" and have been to the TOTWL, it is definitely stale with no incentive to visit other than the fireworks. In my opinion, Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian is the only truly successful Resort Lounge on property. The reason for its success is absolutely "OHana restaurant. The restaurant is very crowded with long wait times so people need a place to hang out and enjoy a drink or two before their meal. The only way TOTWL could draw in the guests would be to put an awesome resaurant on top of Bay Lake Tower.

I thought that seeing fireworks from TOWL and the oustide area was a huge plus during all my BLT stays. I would be sorry to see the lounge lost to members, but as it is, we didn't stay and order much. There wasn't much in the way of appetizers. It needs a better menu and a "Bob Jackson" or someone like him to give people another reason to go up.

Disney is often their own worse enemy with things like this. They just seem not to really understand the power of marketing alcohol, high priced frufru non alcoholic drinks and appy type foods in a way to get more people to particiapte and spend money. When you make it difficult for people to spend money they will go elsewhere--my expereince with most Disney lounges.

Disney can pretty much do what ever they want. Just because they declared the TOTWL space to the association along with making the owners responsible for the property tax, maintenance, utilities, and cleaning, doesn't mean that TOTWL will remain open or that Food & Beverage will continue to man it at Disney's expense.

How much are the BLT owners willing to pay to keep the lounge open?

If it's owned by the members, then there should be money coming back to the members from its operation, regardless of who is using it. Who heard of a landlord who pays all the expenses but gets nothing back.

If it's owned by the members, then there should be money coming back to the members from its operation, regardless of who is using it. Who heard of a landlord who pays all the expenses but gets nothing back.

You can't get money back if it's operating at a loss. Food and beverage wants their cut, wages, cost of booze and food and an expected level of profit.

Plus access is restricted to DVC Members staying at BLT and we can't change the rules, only Disney can.

I expect that it will be used for parties and special events just like the Attic at BWV is used today.

You can't get money back if it's operating at a loss. Food and beverage wants their cut, wages, cost of booze and food and an expected level of profit.

Plus access is restricted to DVC Members staying at BLT and we can't change the rules, only Disney can.

I expect that it will be used for parties and special events just like the Attic at BWV is used today.

From what has been said here, the Attic never was opened to members, but TOWL has been, and I think it will be a problem for Disney to take it away.

It would be nice if Disney tried to make this a viable location by expanding the eligibility instead of just giving up on it. I completely agreed with the previous poster who suggested it be open to all members.

If they are renting it out, there should be a rental fee. I don't think DVC is actually operating it.

That's my question - if the space is owned by the members, there should be a fee paid by whoever is actually operating it. They shouldn't get free rent even if they are losing money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter