Too old for sippy cups

My dd7 still drinks from sippy cups of course my biggest problem is not just spilling unfortunately I am still working hard to break her throwing habit. I have consistently given her different sippy cups working w/ her till she learns to use for many reasons first finding the right cup for her to transition from the bottle and second if I leave home and don't have her cup and can't get one from the nearest store I go to I need an alternative. With that being said I began to make the transition from a sippy to a straw my main reason was due to her low tone I am hoping that the use of the straw will help her improve the tone in her mouth and help improve her speech skills. I currently have 4 styles of cups w/ straws we started w/ the first years disposable cups you can get plain colors or prints, after she caught on I gave her one of my older dd's thermos containers w/ the straw this is her fave since she has learned how to open and close the lid, I learned about the camelbak's a few months ago and it took a while and she didn't get frustrated and she mastered the camelbak what better way to build tone than to have to bite and suck at the same time, the forth style was purchased on our disney trip last month they had either a tink or sorcerer mickey light up twist top straw cup that I just couldn't pass on and she has figured out how to turn it on and off so she has fun w/ it as well.

good luck w/ the cups you picked up.

The only kind of cup my son would drink out of for the longest time is the Rubbermaid Litterless Juice Box. It's just a plain plastic juice box. You can actually buy regular straws and cut them to the right size instead of having to worry about cleaning them.

We found ours for a little under $3 at our local grocery store but they also have them on Amazon.com

You can just used the kids cups they have with the tops and straws. Restaurants normally have them. I just save mine every time we get one at a restaurant for travel.

Exactly what we do. They also sell them as take and toss cups at Target, WalMart etc.

I just ordered two more cups because they work out so well.

Thanks for leading me to these cups. Is there a best way to clean them? RIght now I soak the lids and then put them in the top of the dishwasher.

I just ordered two more cups because they work out so well.

Thanks for leading me to these cups. Is there a best way to clean them? RIght now I soak the lids and then put them in the top of the dishwasher.

I'm glad the Contigo cups are working for you. I just rinse the lid under running water with the button pushed (so water can flow through it) for a few seconds and then put the lid and the cup in the top rack of the dishwasher. It seems to be working fine so far.

I have some plastic glasses from Tupperware that have snap on lids with a straw hole. They came with a straw but soon switched to regular straws that are thrown out after use (sorry environment but I never figured out how to get the other straw clean). The lids fit on tightly and the straw hole has rubber like stuff in it to prevent leaks. If they get dropped or knocked over there is litte to no spillage.
My dad (who was in his late 80s) liked to use those cups with straws that you get in the hospital. I was horrified to find out how nasty the plastic straw part was after several days.

I had very good luck with putting some bleach in a tall glass of water. I would soak one end and turn it over to get the other end. No scrubbing and it came out perfectly clean and sterilized. Believe me it had nasty black gunk in those spirals.

Yes, great ideas! I ordered two more and threw out 4 of the old cups. We also got adult water bottles on sale at Target so we all have contigo bottles. I think I am going to soak them in bleach one a week to get the lids super clean.

Last thought.

On our previous trip to WDW the TSA man looked at DS and said "Aren't you a little old for a stroller and sippy cup?"

Hopefully this time it will look more like a water bottle and we now walk in the airport, with my hand around his wrist.

Last thought.

On our previous trip to WDW the TSA man looked at DS and said "Aren't you a little old for a stroller and sippy cup?"

Hopefully this time it will look more like a water bottle and we now walk in the airport, with my hand around his wrist.

Grrrrrr!!! Don't you hate it?!

We just returned from a quick Disney trip and I found a cup with a pop-up spout and a handle at Winn Dixie of all places. I put a C clip on the stroller (on the umbrella joint) and it was so useful for hanging that cup (and his hat, flashlight and ear muffs!)

As for the camelback, I had to cut a bigger hole in ours so DS7 doesn't have to bite down. The cup does have a round rubber valve inside the lid that you can take out so that soda doesn't spit out the top of it. :thumbsup2

I have bought 3 of the water/drink bottles made by Thermos called the Funtainer bottles. They are around $15 each, but they will keep ice in them from 6:45AM until my kids get home from school around 4:30. that includes the classroom, recess and the bus in 100+ degree weather. They are expensive but worth it. they will spill if the lids aren't on properly or if the lid is opened, but not like a cup without a lid. Only a little through the straw. Also, we use the Tervis Tumblers. They have several different sizes with a lid and straw or either a travel lid. They are the double lined cups that don't sweat and can be used for hot or cold drinks.

look on QVC- they have a set of four cups- with lids and straws- they are double walled so they won't sweat. They come in cool colors. They hold hot or cold. dishwasher safe- NO SPILL! I want them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter