Too old for sippy cups

MinnieVanMom

DIS Veteran
What can I use now for DS who is 8 years old but still can't have drinks without spilling. We have used sippy cups but I wanted to know if there is something else we can use and in public.

You can just used the kids cups they have with the tops and straws. Restaurants normally have them. I just save mine every time we get one at a restaurant for travel.

Thanks, we are starting to save those and they do tip and spill but at least it is contained a bit.

He is just too old for sippy yet is a spiller.

Put the wrong post here so here's what I meant to say:

I'm 26 and have dexterity issues and swallowing issues and still use sippy cups sometimes. My biggest complaint, in fact, is that they don't come large enough. I do have a couple that look just like a normal water bottle, but smaller.

Also, depending on his ability to do things like bite & suck at the same time, Camelback has some water bottles that are just as spill proof as sippy cups. You can't put carbonated drinks in them, but you have to bite down to be able to access the water. I've not spilled out of one yet.

i like the cheap walmart brand water bottles. there plastic but look pretty grown up looking. I have these all over my house since I have sassy cats who help themselves to everything they want. Unfornally Ive got one whos master drinking from my sip bottles GRR

For awhile we used sports bottles.

Heck my kid still keep them in their rooms at night (filled w/ water).

I have some plastic glasses from Tupperware that have snap on lids with a straw hole. They came with a straw but soon switched to regular straws that are thrown out after use (sorry environment but I never figured out how to get the other straw clean). The lids fit on tightly and the straw hole has rubber like stuff in it to prevent leaks. If they get dropped or knocked over there is litte to no spillage.

You might want to try Kleen Kanteen. They sell a sippy lid, and then you could transition into a regular sports top.

The bottles are not baby-ish looking at all!!

Cathy

I have some plastic glasses from Tupperware that have snap on lids with a straw hole. They came with a straw but soon switched to regular straws that are thrown out after use (sorry environment but I never figured out how to get the other straw clean). The lids fit on tightly and the straw hole has rubber like stuff in it to prevent leaks. If they get dropped or knocked over there is litte to no spillage.
This is slightly off-topic, but we use pipe cleaners to clean the straws to DD's straw cups. Just soap up the pipe cleaner & run it through the straw, then rinse. I guess it's not a whole lot better for the environment since we are now throwing away pipe cleaners, but we don't want to throw out the spill-proof straws that go with her cups.

The Wrightstuff.biz has several different cups that might work well for you.

Even more off topic... I am embarrassed to admit this but I just found out (28) that pipe cleaners were not made for arts and crafts but for cleaning pipes.... :rolleyes1

I really like the Contigo mugs/water bottles. You press a button to drink from them (the button is at the neck of the bottle, so you can drink from it one handed). When you release the button, they automatically seal. If you drop it, it seals on the way to the floor. If you knock it over, it doesn't spill because it sealed as soon as you released the button.

The insulated 16 oz mug in Stainless is awesome. My DD (3) just got the Trekker cups and they are coming out with a smaller insulated one in January. The website is gocontigo.com

Target and Meijer sell a few of the Contigo products.

We use lidded cups that are designed for drinking coffee in the car, and they don't look childish since they are intended for adults. I've gotten some we like from Starbucks and others from Target.

We use lidded cups that are designed for drinking coffee in the car, and they don't look childish since they are intended for adults. I've gotten some we like from Starbucks and others from Target.

We also use travel cups. We also take the sippy lid and attach it to travel mugs. My fav sippy cups are ones a friend gave us that she got in Germany. They like a blown glass cup but have a sippy lid that goes inside the cup.They are clear plastic with colored plastic.

You might want to try Kleen Kanteen. They sell a sippy lid, and then you could transition into a regular sports top.

The bottles are not baby-ish looking at all!!

Cathy

Definitely, this! :thumbsup2 Adults use the sports bottle tops all the time. This is what our whole family takes when we go to Disney. They are stylish, which he may like, and you can get them in whatever size you like. My 2yo is using a 12oz. My 5.5yo and 7.5yo are using the 18oz. Dh and I are using the 27oz.

Also, the Thermos straw bottles are leak-proof. We use these, too. Here is the 18oz. http://shopthermos.com/detail/TMS+HS4010TG4
These, too. 24oz, plastic and leak-proof. http://shopthermos.com/detail/TMS+HP4000GR6

I really like the Contigo mugs/water bottles. You press a button to drink from them (the button is at the neck of the bottle, so you can drink from it one handed). When you release the button, they automatically seal. If you drop it, it seals on the way to the floor. If you knock it over, it doesn't spill because it sealed as soon as you released the button.

The insulated 16 oz mug in Stainless is awesome. My DD (3) just got the Trekker cups and they are coming out with a smaller insulated one in January. The website is gocontigo.com

Target and Meijer sell a few of the Contigo products.
I just ordered two cups from Contigo. I hope they work out as they look like something he could use. Unfortunately, the shipping was the same as the cost of the cups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter