Tony's or Plaza?

lwc

Mouseketeer
I am trying to decide where to eat lunch on our first (of two) MK day.

We are on the DxDDP, and we don't do the big mid afternoon break thing. Over the years we have found that a TS lunch is a must-do for our family at theme parks. It is our break and our sanity!

Our current MK ADRs

Day 1:
8am BOG
1:20 Plaza
1:30 Tony's
(8:15 'Ohana)

Day 2 (Son's birthday)
8am CP
12:30 CRT
5:30 BOG

If park open changes from 9 to 8 we may cancel the breakfasts. Or we may keep them. Can't decide. We have other character meals, so CP isn't a must do for us, but DH likes it and would prefer a real breakfast. The rest of us would probably be content with a muffin and a handful of nuts before lunch, but we all enjoy breakfast foods, so they may stay, even if they cut into park time. Will be a last minute decision.

CRT lunch and BOG dinner are the birthday boy's choices. Hoping to be able to either change the BOG to a somewhat later time or add the Wishes Dessert Party, but no luck so far.

We have never eaten at Tony's or The Plaza.

Liberty Tree Tavern is closed when we will be there (late August) so that isn't an option.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on Plaza vs Tony's!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hands down the Plaza - other than H&V my next least favorite place is Tony's

The Plaza. We definitely prefer the menu selection there over Tony's, particularly for lunch. Additionally, many of the tables in the Plaza look out with a view of the castle - so, we definitely prefer the location better.

The Plaza for sure! It's a hidden gem. It's been one of our favorite all time restaurants at Disney and the only restaurant we are making a return trip to besides Be Our Guest on this next trip! (We are trying to eat at as many different restaurants as we can, but the Reuben sandwich was so good that I had to have it again!)

Obviously Tony's gets poor reviews but both times we've eaten there, our meal has been fine. Nothing amazing and not a favorite, but ours was not gross. You also get more entree-style type meals whereas the Plaza is lighter fare like sandwiches. Because you're doing lunch and on DxDP, I'd go with the Plaza since it's lighter which will be good for the amount of food you're getting, and they have great sundaes!

I know you didn't solicit advice on ADR times, but I'd recommend pushing dinner back on day 2 if you can. I know that's easier said than done with BOG but when we were on DxDP, there is no way we'd be hungry for a 5:30 dinner after eating a 12:30 lunch. The amount of food you get on DxDP is gluttonous, and when we did TS lunch, we were only hungry for QS dinner and not til 8pm or so. We also found three TS meals in one day to be too time consuming, but that's personal preference.

Thank you all for the advice.

It sounds like The Plaza is the clear winner here.

Obviously Tony's gets poor reviews but both times we've eaten there, our meal has been fine. Nothing amazing and not a favorite, but ours was not gross. You also get more entree-style type meals whereas the Plaza is lighter fare like sandwiches. Because you're doing lunch and on DxDP, I'd go with the Plaza since it's lighter which will be good for the amount of food you're getting, and they have great sundaes!

I know you didn't solicit advice on ADR times, but I'd recommend pushing dinner back on day 2 if you can. I know that's easier said than done with BOG but when we were on DxDP, there is no way we'd be hungry for a 5:30 dinner after eating a 12:30 lunch. The amount of food you get on DxDP is gluttonous, and when we did TS lunch, we were only hungry for QS dinner and not til 8pm or so. We also found three TS meals in one day to be too time consuming, but that's personal preference.

We would VERY much like to move the day two BOG to a later time, and are diligently searching. We had to adjust our travel dates about 90 days out, and gave up our "perfect" itinerary as a result. I am still hopeful.

We agree that the DxDD plan is too much food. We find that splitting an app, entree and dessert between two adults is more than enough, so we do a lot of sharing. (Which means we get to fit in a lot of two credit per person meals.)

I appreciate the advice about three meals taking up a lot of touring time. You are right that they will, but we are ok with it. Eating restaurant meals where we can order whatever we want without any guilt is a BIG part of a relaxing vacation to us.

I am trying to decide where to eat lunch on our first (of two) MK day.

We are on the DxDDP, and we don't do the big mid afternoon break thing. Over the years we have found that a TS lunch is a must-do for our family at theme parks. It is our break and our sanity!

Our current MK ADRs

Day 1:
8am BOG
1:20 Plaza
1:30 Tony's
(8:15 'Ohana)

Day 2 (Son's birthday)
8am CP
12:30 CRT
5:30 BOG

If park open changes from 9 to 8 we may cancel the breakfasts. Or we may keep them. Can't decide. We have other character meals, so CP isn't a must do for us, but DH likes it and would prefer a real breakfast. The rest of us would probably be content with a muffin and a handful of nuts before lunch, but we all enjoy breakfast foods, so they may stay, even if they cut into park time. Will be a last minute decision.

CRT lunch and BOG dinner are the birthday boy's choices. Hoping to be able to either change the BOG to a somewhat later time or add the Wishes Dessert Party, but no luck so far.

We have never eaten at Tony's or The Plaza.

Liberty Tree Tavern is closed when we will be there (late August) so that isn't an option.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on Plaza vs Tony's!

Thank you!

The Plaza. I personally think Olive Garden has better Italian food than Tony's. Easywdw.com has a great write up on Tony's. Josh is brutally honest.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the advice.

It sounds like The Plaza is the clear winner here.

We would VERY much like to move the day two BOG to a later time, and are diligently searching. We had to adjust our travel dates about 90 days out, and gave up our "perfect" itinerary as a result. I am still hopeful.

We agree that the DxDD plan is too much food. We find that splitting an app, entree and dessert between two adults is more than enough, so we do a lot of sharing. (Which means we get to fit in a lot of two credit per person meals.)

I appreciate the advice about three meals taking up a lot of touring time. You are right that they will, but we are ok with it. Eating restaurant meals where we can order whatever we want without any guilt is a BIG part of a relaxing vacation to us.

FWIW, signature dining is a great use of credits on the deluxe dining plan. It uses two credits, so it helps avoid two to three sit down meals per day. Just another option!

FWIW, signature dining is a great use of credits on the deluxe dining plan. It uses two credits, so it helps avoid two to three sit down meals per day. Just another option!

This is what we do - we have a 8-9 am breakfast and go for a signature 2 credit dinner just about every night

Yes! We have several signature meals as well as a couple of dinner shows, and we only have two meals scheduled on several days.

Just another vote for the wonderful plaza. The food is great and even better it's not much more than most CS

Wow, I'm definitely outvoted here. I've never been to the Plaza before, but my family absolutely loves Tony's. We think the food there is great. We've always had fantastic service and it's not overly expensive, either. It's a great restaurant for us. We go almost every trip, now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter