• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tomorrowland.....sorta spoilers!

pat fan

Sad my tag won't fit :(
So I was loving it right up until the 1/2-3/4 mark. Then it turned. Why do they have to do that? I do not need a political soapbox from my Disney movie. Blech! Even the acting flattened out. Clooney is no great actor to begin with, and he seemed to be going through the motions near the end.

Still hoping for Kingdom Keeper movies and that they don't give them the same political hack job they gave this one.

I agree it got very preachy at that point - newsflash a movie is not going to change anyone's mind about something that basic, either they already care about it or they don't.

Also it was kind of boring. I took my DD12 and her friend and at one point I think DD was ready to fall asleep! I know I almost did and it was a 730 show so not late!

I'm looking forward to seeing it, but in my living room - it's not meeting my standards to see it in the movie theater
(I hate the fact that movies are so expensive to see that I have to have standards:rolleyes:)
Anyway, I read some negative reviews somewhere else - it's to bad.

I am glad that you told me about The Kingdom Keepers - I've been wanting to read that series and I forgot about them.
I'm putting them on my Amazon Wish List right now :thumbsup2

It certainly captured the look and feel of Disney's Magic Kingdom Tomorrowland in several scenes. Not too impressed with it, either.

I agree with the OP that it lost steam half way through. I'm o.k. with the message but sure wish there were more scenes of the earlier Tomorrowland.

I hope they do a better job with "Tink" with Reese Witherspoon as the lead. DH and I both wish they'd chosen Kristen Chenowith instead, but we're willing to give Reese a chance. Assuming the reviews are decent.

Not sure what stopping war, pollution, famine, etc. has to do with a political soapbox. I loved the movie, thought it was brilliant.

We liked it.

I kinda liked the approach-when the "teachers" wouldn't call on her when they were on their soapboxes. When they finally did-she was "I get things are bad, but what are we going to do about it?". Looked like a doe in headlights. Typical shame on you, but I can sleep at night because I point things out.

We need the thinkers/dreamers to come up with affordable/logical "worldwide" solutions. After an awesome first 1/2-it got a bit weird at about 2/3's, but I think it headed in the right direction eventually.

Once they had the montage in school, it wasn't hard to see the soapbox. But I thought the lesson turned out to be "think outside the box, question everything, don't feel bad about dreaming what's possible" more than "save the planet". I'd give it ~3.5/5. Not bad for an afternoon.

We saw it today and loved it! I loved the message about doing something to change the bad things in the world. I'm so tired of all the post apocalyptic/dystopian stuff out there it was nice to have something say hey, let's try to make a difference in our world! Let's be positive and hopeful and creative....and I loved that they wanted all sorts of people, not just scientists.

I'm so tired of people just complaining about what is wrong. Try to make a difference!

I also didn't think it mattered what political persuasion you are...the world is far from perfect no matter your perspective.

Once they had the montage in school, it wasn't hard to see the soapbox. But I thought the lesson turned out to be "think outside the box, question everything, don't feel bad about dreaming what's possible" more than "save the planet".

Exactly!

I liked it! Though it seemed a little off. Yes the world is a mess but I think we've far from given up. Not just waiting for and embracing the apocalypse because it's the path of least resistance.

All that aside I thought it was cute. Some very funny and touching moments.

I loved most everything about the movie...except the Speech. It was so unnecessary. It was already clear to me what the idea behind it all was. Too preachy....and I even agree with the subject matter

I watched about 35 minutes of it today and turned it off - it was pretty boring- not my kind of movie I guess.

Cheesy in some parts. My DD turned 13 yesterday, so she saw it with her best friend. She liked it so that is all that matters to me.

I like it mostly, but it got kind of preachy there at the end. I also think the plot was rather thin. Governor Nicks wanted to shut down the entire project to the point where he was having his robots kill people? Why? What as so blasted important about giving up? I understand not wanting to let the masses in, because they would just screw things up, but killer robots is extremely drastic.

And where was everybody else? I understand what Casey saw was a "commercial", but when Frank got there in 1964, there were actual people there. Frank got banished in 1984 and then what? Everybody else just died except for Nicks?

It was a very pretty looking film, but it didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter