Tom & Heidi 1/19/09 Italy WD/WP/Narcoossee's/Sago Cay...Sprint to the Finish!!!

WOW! I can't believe it's been so long since I updated. Things have definitely been crazy at work and a lot has gone on.

First of all, I had a phone conversation with Michelle, and it was great! She answered loads of my questions and made me really feel like she would truly worry about all the little details.

I obsess about details, and on one hand, DFTW makes it easier, because you don't have as many decision to make (which caterer? only one choice! floral? not to many choices!, etc.), but sometimes I worry that they don't do as much of the "Wedding Planner" duties like in the JLo movie :) I'm not saying I expect Michelle to be JLo :rotfl: , but she answered my questions so quickly, it put me at ease. She didn't even have to think about how things would go. It was already in her head. Good!

So, I also am scheduled for the MK AND Epcot (thanks for the tip Vanessa) photo shoot on the 21st. There is only 0500 (5 a.m.!) available, so I didn't want to do it the day after the wedding. So, we're doing it two days after. I think that should give us time to calm down...and I think I'll be excited to get into my dress again! I am a little worried about the crane being up. I've been all over the Dis, and the consensus seems to be that it's down by late Jan. Michelle warned me it could be up, but they'd photoshop it out for the MK pics. I'm actually more worried about the wedding day pics. I have to talk to the Roots about their photoshop plan :)

Lots more has happened, so I promise I'll update more frequently!

So, the next thing to obsess about (notice a pattern here?) was the theme.

Since we switched from the "Around the World" thing, I had to come up with a new theme. Now, I'm not tied to the idea of tying everything together, but I needed to "visualize," so I could pick BM dresses, colors, flowers, etc.

After much brain-wracking, I googled "Grand Floridian Disney" since our reception is there. I found out it was designed to look like a turn-of-the century Florida resort (okay, okay, I could have figured that out WITHOUT google, but now I know EXACTLY!). I started thinking of what screamed "turn-of-the-century" to me.

I came up with:
Ragtime
Cutaways
Mary Poppins

I emailed Rose, and she suggested "dusty" colored flowers and decorations: Mauves, peach, pink, etc. in dusty shades. Sort of like the carpet in the WP :)

Then, since I had hit on the idea of "Mary Poppins," I googled "Mary Poppins Wedding." Now, there's not much there, but I did find a party planner who designed a "Mary Poppins" birthday party for a little girl. Alot of the ideas were for kids, but she used silhouettes to label the different "stations" of the party. That gave me an idea!

Hire a silhouette artist. Well, as luck would have it (since WDW is actually a theme park that employs silhouette artists), I found one in Orlando. In hindsight, I could have probably asked my WP! But, I found her through google (my fave!). She can cut a silhouette in 90 seconds! So, she can do all guests in the four hours of the reception, and she'll cut two at a time, so I get a copy and the guest gets a copy! I was pretty excited about that! BTW...it's $500 for the 4 hours. I'm going to name my tables after Disney characters and make silhouettes to put in frames.
Like this...

Sihouette.jpg

I also thought about carousel horses, and found this pic. But, I'm not sure, so let me know what you think.

CarouselHorse.jpg

As far as the flowers, I really like the peachy, pink, mauve look that Rose described, and I love those colors in flowers, but I'm not crazy about them in dresses. So, since I've always been a purple-lover, I'm looking for a dress for BMs with a dusty purple. I think they can still carry those colors above in a bouquet, but it keeps with the Victorian/Edwardian theme (I say Edwardian, because to be TECHNICAL, Queen Victoria died in 1901, and "Mary Poppins" is set in 1910...I like history, what can I say???)

I kinda liked this, but not with the sugary fruit...

004_primary.jpg

If y'all have any other thoughts on ways to pull in the theme, or just anything that looks/sounds good...let me know!

Hmmm...hopefully the crane will be gone by your wedding!!

Oh I love the Mary Poppins theme! the colors of the flowers are so beautiful and the silohette artist sounds so great! And $500 for 4 hrs!! That's awesome!

The silhouette artist sounds like such a great idea and the price is a steal! My mom and I have had ours done at WDW before too. I think the Mary Poppins theme would be great. You could even see about having a character appearance :goodvibes

I just saw that you added a second park for your shoot. Epcot definitely makes for some dramatic backdrops; it will be so great to see your pictures!

So, the next thing to obsess about (notice a pattern here?) was the theme.

Since we switched from the "Around the World" thing, I had to come up with a new theme. Now, I'm not tied to the idea of tying everything together, but I needed to "visualize," so I could pick BM dresses, colors, flowers, etc.

After much brain-wracking, I googled "Grand Floridian Disney" since our reception is there. I found out it was designed to look like a turn-of-the century Florida resort (okay, okay, I could have figured that out WITHOUT google, but now I know EXACTLY!). I started thinking of what screamed "turn-of-the-century" to me.

I came up with:
Ragtime
Cutaways
Mary Poppins

I emailed Rose, and she suggested "dusty" colored flowers and decorations: Mauves, peach, pink, etc. in dusty shades. Sort of like the carpet in the WP :)

Then, since I had hit on the idea of "Mary Poppins," I googled "Mary Poppins Wedding." Now, there's not much there, but I did find a party planner who designed a "Mary Poppins" birthday party for a little girl. Alot of the ideas were for kids, but she used silhouettes to label the different "stations" of the party. That gave me an idea!

Hire a silhouette artist. Well, as luck would have it (since WDW is actually a theme park that employs silhouette artists), I found one in Orlando. In hindsight, I could have probably asked my WP! But, I found her through google (my fave!). She can cut a silhouette in 90 seconds! So, she can do all guests in the four hours of the reception, and she'll cut two at a time, so I get a copy and the guest gets a copy! I was pretty excited about that! BTW...it's $500 for the 4 hours. I'm going to name my tables after Disney characters and make silhouettes to put in frames.
Like this...

Sihouette.jpg

I also thought about carousel horses, and found this pic. But, I'm not sure, so let me know what you think.

CarouselHorse.jpg

As far as the flowers, I really like the peachy, pink, mauve look that Rose described, and I love those colors in flowers, but I'm not crazy about them in dresses. So, since I've always been a purple-lover, I'm looking for a dress for BMs with a dusty purple. I think they can still carry those colors above in a bouquet, but it keeps with the Victorian/Edwardian theme (I say Edwardian, because to be TECHNICAL, Queen Victoria died in 1901, and "Mary Poppins" is set in 1910...I like history, what can I say???)

I kinda liked this, but not with the sugary fruit...

004_primary.jpg

If y'all have any other thoughts on ways to pull in the theme, or just anything that looks/sounds good...let me know!

I love the centerpiece with the carousel horse and the colors- it would look great. The silhouette artist sounds like great option....you are on a roll!:goodvibes

Great ideas for the centerpieces!! VERY CUTE!! So .. just being nosy..
the mk shoot and the epcot shoot? How does that work?? I booked the MK shoot but to add another one on could be lots of fun!!

Great ideas for the centerpieces!! VERY CUTE!! So .. just being nosy..
the mk shoot and the epcot shoot? How does that work?? I booked the MK shoot but to add another one on could be lots of fun!!
pirate: Sorry for the hijack. Just ask your planner or Disney photography about adding a second park to your shoot. We added Hollywood Studios to ours since we were getting married at Epcot. It was only $300 additional to add the second park to the MK shoot.

WOW i love the Mary Poppins theme and the centerpiece with the horse is very beautiful. the silhouette artist sounds so cool. great find.

The silhouette artist sounds like such a great idea and the price is a steal! My mom and I have had ours done at WDW before too. I think the Mary Poppins theme would be great. You could even see about having a character appearance :goodvibes

I just saw that you added a second park for your shoot. Epcot definitely makes for some dramatic backdrops; it will be so great to see your pictures!

Vanessa-Thanks! I didn't think that was too bad, either, for the artist. And you inspired me with the shots in Epcot! I think we're going to have Mickey and Minnie, so I don't know about Mary Poppins, but that would be SOO neat!

I love the centerpiece with the carousel horse and the colors- it would look great. The silhouette artist sounds like great option....you are on a roll!:goodvibes

Thank you!

Great ideas for the centerpieces!! VERY CUTE!!

Thanks!...and I think Vanessa answered about the two parks!

pirate: Sorry for the hijack. Just ask your planner or Disney photography about adding a second park to your shoot. We added Hollywood Studios to ours since we were getting married at Epcot. It was only $300 additional to add the second park to the MK shoot.

Vanessa-hijack away! I was actually going to write "Well, Vanessa pointed out to me..." :goodvibes

WOW i love the Mary Poppins theme and the centerpiece with the horse is very beautiful. the silhouette artist sounds so cool. great find.

Thank you!

Everything is looking great! I LOVE the new theme! It makes me wish i had a better theme than fabulous. I do like the carousel horse- you could do a different centerpiece at each table. That means less decisions!!!

Man, do you know how to plan parties!! I just love all your ideas :goodvibes I love the idea of a dusky purple for the bridesmaids too :wizard: Everything sounds great - the silhouette artist, especially :3dglasses :lovestruc

I love this idea! Not only is everything so pretty, your guests will LOVE the silhouette artist...I might just have to steal this one...

Heidi -- Love the new theme and color scheme. What a great idea for a favor for your guests- silhouette artists are amazing! I think carousel horses for your centerpieces would be beautiful and perfectly suited. YAY! for the park portrait sessions!

Everything is looking great! I LOVE the new theme! It makes me wish i had a better theme than fabulous. I do like the carousel horse- you could do a different centerpiece at each table. That means less decisions!!!

But, fabulous is a great theme! Just like everything else, I'm finding out there are too many good ideas!

Man, do you know how to plan parties!! I just love all your ideas :goodvibes I love the idea of a dusky purple for the bridesmaids too :wizard: Everything sounds great - the silhouette artist, especially :3dglasses :lovestruc

Thanks! I have been accused of missing my calling. I'm good at my job in the Army, but I have a passion for planning, hosting, cooking, etc. I tease my friends that if the whole Army thing doesn't work out for me, I'll become a travel agent!

I love this idea! Not only is everything so pretty, your guests will LOVE the silhouette artist...I might just have to steal this one...

Steal away! Of course, now these artists are going to read the boards and think "I'm not charging enough! Everyone wants me!!!" :confused3

i LOVE the silhouette artist!! OMG!

Just got done reading your PJ!! :) So awesome!! Can't wait for more :cutie: :banana: :thumbsup2 popcorn::

Thanks!

Heidi -- Love the new theme and color scheme. What a great idea for a favor for your guests- silhouette artists are amazing! I think carousel horses for your centerpieces would be beautiful and perfectly suited. YAY! for the park portrait sessions!

Now I just have to decide if I want to get frames to put them in. She offers frames for $7 a piece, which is kinda high, but it's hard to find a 5x7 frame for much less.

So, a few weeks ago, I scheduled a telephone consult with Michelle (WP). She was super efficient and sweet and put me at ease. I had lots of detail oriented questions, and she answered them without even having to ponder the answers. So, I felt very assured that my wedding would run like clockwork with her.

I also decided that money may not grown on trees, but since I'm in the Army and can't really get fired (hey, we may have to go to some "exotic" locations, but there's something to be said for job security!)...the money will keep coming with regularity! I was upset that my PS combined with my wedding in June was so rushed. It was very stressful and I was ill-prepared. I didn't even know they could do a tasting!!!! After reading everyone else's PJs, I want to do a tasting too!!!

So, I decided to heck with the money...I'm going to take a completely un-necessary cross-atlantic trip to have my PS (and I used the excuse that I could get fitted for my dress at the shop I ordered it from!). Of course, I am going to squeeze in LOTS of other planning/shopping things, too. I've felt very isolated being in Europe during this process, so it will be good to be in the good ol' U.S. of A. to get some shopping and planning done.

Michelle and I also talked about a Mad Hatter Bridal Tea. I know these are expensive and completely unnecessary, but I'm really thinking about it. It would be a truly fun "one-of-a-kind" event.

So, if I have a bridal tea, what do the groom and guys do? Michelle recommended the Richard Petty Driving Experience and said guys ALWAYS enjoyed that. But, I'm married to an Apache pilot, and those guys are COMPETITIVE and can be somewhat reckless! So, when I think of these boys on a race track, I envision them all black and blue (or broken!) for the day of the wedding. Does anyone have any ideas for things that they can't kill each other doing? Michelle mentioned Disney Quest. I have never been there, but it seems like a good idea.

I don't have any good pictures for this post, so I'll post a picture of the shoes I picked out. I "borrowed" the idea off orangetiggs. I had to order them from the UK and pay in GBP!! But, they are beautiful, I think!! Thanks Sarah!

Dainty-Bess-M.jpg

They are called "Dainty Bess" by Diana Hassell

Congrats on all of your updates. I love your theme. It is very original and it will work perfectly at the GF. And I love the colors you are going with, also!

Oh, good for you, Heidi, a planning session for the big wedding is a very good idea! I think those shoes are just beautiful!!:lovestruc :goodvibes You and Sarah have great taste!:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter