Tolls at Disney?

mrsboz

DIS Veteran
Dollar rent a car said that it costs $8.00 a day if you want to put the toll charge option on the car. I guess if you go through a toll and don't get it, you will be charged $15.00 each time you go through one. Does anyone get the option? You can't pay cash in florida if you go through a toll? What do you guys do?

I would have to think you either misunderstood what they were telling you or they are just full of it there...during the summer of 2013 you could still pay cash for tolls in Florida.

Check the transportation board, but I would get the pass. We went through one toll in California with a rental car and we ended up with a bill for over $200.

Maybe I just don't know of what's happening in the rest of the country, but I don't know of any toll roads or bridges that don't offer a cash lane for non-regular customers. Just stay aware of where you are driving, and read the signs.

I live in the land of toll bridges and lanes (Northern California) but don't bother with an electronic pass because my daily commute doesn't involve any. As I cross bridges otherwise, I just pay cash. And I just stay out of the pay lanes during pay hours (around here, single drivers can drive in some carpool lanes during peak commute hours for a fee - that requires the electronic pass).

Yes, you can pay cash. We spent less than $15 in tolls on our entire trip. And, as far as accidentally going through one, I cannot see how that could happen - you would have to be asleep.

Maybe I just don't know of what's happening in the rest of the country, but I don't know of any toll roads or bridges that don't offer a cash lane for non-regular customers. Just stay aware of where you are driving, and read the signs.

I live in the land of toll bridges and lanes (Northern California) but don't bother with an electronic pass because my daily commute doesn't involve any. As I cross bridges otherwise, I just pay cash. And I just stay out of the pay lanes during pay hours (around here, single drivers can drive in some carpool lanes during peak commute hours for a fee - that requires the electronic pass).

There are toll roads here where you must have an ez pass to travel. It's called ICC - inter county connecter.

Dollar rent a car said that it costs $8.00 a day if you want to put the toll charge option on the car. I guess if you go through a toll and don't get it, you will be charged $15.00 each time you go through one. Does anyone get the option? You can't pay cash in florida if you go through a toll? What do you guys do?

I purchased a 'mini sun pass sticker transponder' that is like a temporary sun pass for 5.95 at the Florida welcome center. You load it with cash and set it up online. They are available at convenience stores in Florida.

I just looked at the website. You can buy it online as well and for 4.99 plus tax at the Sun pass website. It didn't register at a couple of tolls and I got a bill. I just went on line and the system adjusted for me, so the cost for the missed tolls was something like 1.28...no fines. Oh and it wasn't the mini's fault - it was me trying to hold it up instead of sticking it to my window.

You can pay cash on most tolls, but just coming from the airport will make you stop several times. Getting the mini means you breeze through at 60-70mph.

Judique: We are going to Disney but also traveling within an hour to see my son's team play baseball. Do you know if there are any tolls that don't take cash around there? I looked at the state site and there are main highways that are only electronic and you cannot pay cash so it is true and I know you know it. Do I have any other options than to pay these exorbinant rates?

Alesia: No I didn't mean accidentally go through one. That would be impossible. I meant going through one without paying for the tolls beforehand.

Do you know if there are any tolls that don't take cash around there?
If you stay on the main highways, there's a toll booth at all of them. For some of the smaller booths, it's exact change (stock up on quarters). That tends to be exits where you have to pay 50 cents. The big ones will have a person there so you can get change.

So you think we'll be safe just bringing money and not have to worry about those tolls that don't take cash around there? Thank you for your help.

So you think we'll be safe just bringing money and not have to worry about those tolls that don't take cash around there? Thank you for your help.

I would consider the mini transponder. It actually saves money. 75 cent tolls are 52 cents through the mini and so forth. So the 4.95 cost is quickly recovered. They only require a $10 load. Plus they save time.

I don't get to Florida as often as I used to, so I'm not quite certain from memory of where no cash roads might be. There is always an alternate route to using a toll road. It just might not be as convenient.

Every place there is a toll there is a cash payment option. Like a previous poster said, either exact change only lane, or a real live human toll taker. Get a roll or two of quarters, no need to get involved with Sun Pass as it's called down here or fall for that crap the rental car co is trying to hand you.

You can check and see what your toll(s) will be http://www.floridasturnpike.com/TollCalcV3/index.htm

There is a portion of the FL Turnpike that does not accept cash. These are not directly around WDW. I would skip the $8/day fee from the rental company.
http://www.floridasturnpike.com/tools_paytoll.cfm

All Turnpike tolls are collected electronically between the U.S. 1 (Exit 1) and County Line Road (Exit 47) interchanges in Miami-Dade County, on the Sawgrass Expressway in Broward County, on a portion of the Veterans Expressway in Hillsborough County, and on the I-4 Connector in Tampa, and cash tolls are not accepted. Motorists will use either SunPass or TOLL‑BY‑PLATE, and everyone will enjoy the benefit of paying their toll without having to stop.
SunPass is Florida’s prepaid electronic toll program. For customers without SunPass, the alternative is TOLL-BY-PLATE, a collection system that takes a photo of a vehicle’s license plate as it travels under tolling equipment installed overhead and mails a bill for the tolls incurred over a 30-day period, plus a $2.50 administrative charge, to the registered owner of the vehicle. For additional information about all-electronic tolling in Miami-Dade County, click here.

You can check and see what your toll(s) will be http://www.floridasturnpike.com/TollCalcV3/index.htm

There is a portion of the FL Turnpike that does not accept cash. These are not directly around WDW. I would skip the $8/day fee from the rental company.
http://www.floridasturnpike.com/tools_paytoll.cfm

All Turnpike tolls are collected electronically between the U.S. 1 (Exit 1) and County Line Road (Exit 47) interchanges in Miami-Dade County, on the Sawgrass Expressway in Broward County, on a portion of the Veterans Expressway in Hillsborough County, and on the I-4 Connector in Tampa, and cash tolls are not accepted. Motorists will use either SunPass or TOLL‑BY‑PLATE, and everyone will enjoy the benefit of paying their toll without having to stop.
SunPass is Florida’s prepaid electronic toll program. For customers without SunPass, the alternative is TOLL-BY-PLATE, a collection system that takes a photo of a vehicle’s license plate as it travels under tolling equipment installed overhead and mails a bill for the tolls incurred over a 30-day period, plus a $2.50 administrative charge, to the registered owner of the vehicle. For additional information about all-electronic tolling in Miami-Dade County, click here.

Great points and information, but those counties are not even remotely near WDW which I presumed OP only wanted to know about.

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I knew you guys would know. I guess its just like the insurance they try to sell you.

Great points and information, but those counties are not even remotely near WDW which I presumed OP only wanted to know about.

If you read a post further along, the OP mentioned she is travelling within an hour of WDW to her son's baseball game. I think that is why she may have been interested in toll info.

OP - if your game is in the Tampa area, you can easily avoid the tolls on Veterans Pkwy.(NOW I remember that no cash area). I've never been on the I-4 connector toll area.

There are two cashless tolls in the Orlando area, both on the Turnpike:

Exit 240
Kissimmee Park Road (Northbound Entrance/SouthBound Exit Only)(SunPass-Only)

Exit 255
Consulate Drive (SunPass-Only) (Southbound Exit Only)

If you read a post further along, the OP mentioned she is travelling within an hour of WDW to her son's baseball game. I think that is why she may have been interested in toll info.

OP - if your game is in the Tampa area, you can easily avoid the tolls on Veterans Pkwy.(NOW I remember that no cash area). I've never been on the I-4 connector toll area.

Actually I did miss that. My post initially was to answer how she titled the thread and her 1st post. FWIW we don't know where the game is. An hour in a circle from WDW could be anywhere.

Every place there is a toll there is a cash payment option. Like a previous poster said, either exact change only lane, or a real live human toll taker. Get a roll or two of quarters, no need to get involved with Sun Pass as it's called down here or fall for that crap the rental car co is trying to hand you.

We drove from St. Augustine to WDW last July. The GPS took us on a road with an unmanned toll. No cash option. We pulled off to the side of the road and looked up what to do. Here in Florida, you can just go through the toll. You need to know the road, mile marker, license plate number, and exact time. Then you send a check with that information in. There was a small fee and I ended up paying like $3 for that one toll. But the EZ Pass only tolls do exist in the Orlando area.

we got a few ezpass only tolls.. my friend learned hard way.. 1.50 toll is equal to 3.75 pay by plate.. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter