Toddler Questions

View attachment 117964 View attachment 117966 View attachment 117967 The toddler splash area is very nice. Its near all the children s pools, safe and fun.

Pre activities are limited.

Can attend the shows or see films in room if required.

Just wanted to clarify for anyone who will be on the Fantasy, the aqua lab pictured is only open to potty trained children. Nemo's reef is the only water attraction for swim diapered babies.

We traveled with a one year old, so I don't have much in the way of advice. Follow your tot's lead and you'll have a blast!

We have travelled with DD 2 twice on DCL. The first was on the Fantasy when she was 18 months old, and then on the Magic this past July. She really "enjoyed" herself m in July. She walked around the ship rather than being in her stroller, which was nice. The only time she was in the stroller was in port. She liked going to the nursery and seeing the characters from a far. She was scared until the last night when she begged to see Mickey. We took her to toddler time, the character breakfast, and the Princess and Pirate party. DH took her to the Nemo's Reef on both ships. In January she was scared of the water, not this time, she played in the water for a long time. We used the nursery almost every night for dinner. We fed her first and then dropped her off. We also used it to go to the spa, Mixology classes, Palo brunch and dinner. The CM in the nursery were wonderful. On the longer cruises they don't have a lot of little ones so she had a lot of one on one attention, since sometimes she was the only little one in the nursery.

We are looking forward to our cruise next summer. She will be 3 and be able to attend the Club/Lab. :)

Thank you all for the wonderful advice! I've added your suggestions to my list. I cannot wait! :)

Does anyone know what the childcare policy is for children who are over three but not yet potty trained? Do they go to the nursery?

Does anyone know what the childcare policy is for children who are over three but not yet potty trained? Do they go to the nursery?
3 year olds go to Oceaneer's Club/Lab. With the proviso that the parent will return frequently (about every hour) to attend to toileting/diapering needs. Oceaneer's Club CMs cannot change diapers, or help kids in the restrooms.

OR they can go to the nursery. They will change diapers there.

Yes!!! Please report back! It's a weird age insomuch that she's not a baby and quite active but not quite ready for the camps and bigger kid activities. Can't wait to hear your thoughts! Thanks for the ideas! Going to add them to my list!

Just back! They give you a special toddler navigator when you arrive with a list of activities toddlers might be interested in. We went to Puzzle Playtime with Mickey, Toddler Time, Wake Up with Disney Junior, and Pirates and Princess dance party. There were characters at all of those except Toddler Time. We also did a few character meet and greets. Our son also loved Nemo's Reef and the splash zone at Castaway Cay a lot. The first day was a little rough comparitively speaking. We started at WDW first and didn't get to port until 1:30 or so, which really messed with his nap time and made him cranky. I would try to do private transfers if he still needs a nap next time to avoid this.

I'm sure I am forgetting lots, so if you have any questions, let me know or PM me.

I'm going to follow on this feed because even though we are not sailing until next November, we will be sailing with our 30 month old.

We are traveling in April with at time of cruise will be 28 months. I was ok at booking but now I'm getting nervous because she is so active loves to swim but hates getting splashed shower like sprays etc so I'm nervous she will be in the splash pad see the pool and go nuts when we say no. anybody ever have that problem. Also a nursery question like others have said that 22-28 month stage is a weird 1 very active but not old enough to be with older kids just yet, what else besides sleep do the kids do in the nursery. I'm not against sending our little 1 there I just feel bad for the person who has to chase her or pull her down when she climbs up a wall

We are traveling in April with at time of cruise will be 28 months. I was ok at booking but now I'm getting nervous because she is so active loves to swim but hates getting splashed shower like sprays etc so I'm nervous she will be in the splash pad see the pool and go nuts when we say no. anybody ever have that problem. Also a nursery question like others have said that 22-28 month stage is a weird 1 very active but not old enough to be with older kids just yet, what else besides sleep do the kids do in the nursery. I'm not against sending our little 1 there I just feel bad for the person who has to chase her or pull her down when she climbs up a wall

On the Fantasy my daughter did get a little bit upset about not being able to go in the pool bc the pool is right there in front of the entrance to nemo's reef. We just redirected her to the slide and she was happy. No big deal. On the magic there is the aqua lab in between the splash area and the pool so she didn't even see the pool.
Even if you think your little will not like all the water spouts, give it a chance bc most likely she will see all the other kids having fun and join in. definitely don't miss the splash pad at castaway!
The cast members in the nursery work so hard to engage them...they have books, puzzles, coloring activities, toys. And there were several other 2 year olds and (young, presumably not potty trained) 3 year olds for my daughter to play with. And there are things for them to climb on!

I have the same concern elfandrents... I can totally see that happening. I'm just going to have to work on re-directing her.

HOnestly, the pool thing is the reason why we're waiting until my guy is 3 1/2 (and should be potty trained) before we cruise.

I KNOW he would be sad about not being allowed in the pool otherwise. He loves swimming and hates being left out. He has an older brother, so he knows all about being left out.

If he couldn't go in the pool, but brother could, is also meant that DH and I would be separated a lot supervising the different kids.

HOnestly, the pool thing is the reason why we're waiting until my guy is 3 1/2 (and should be potty trained) before we cruise.

I TOTALLY get it... of course, now hubs is thinking we might have booked a couple of years too early (can't join the kids clubs, can't go in the pools, etc). Oi.

I have the same concern elfandrents... I can totally see that happening. I'm just going to have to work on re-directing her.
We have the same concern. Our 2 year old loves the pool and Grandma doesn't have restrictions in hers. I'm hoping we can just herd him to the reef area and he'll be content. Stomping in puddles is one of his favorite things right now but getting sprayed in the face not so much.

Lots of good information here. We're going on out 7th DCL cruise but the first with a toddler so it seems a bit different. Does Cabanna's have high chairs that are easy to get a hold of or would we be better off at one of the other restaurants for breakfast and lunch?

We were almost PT when we booked then DD regressed. (School staffing changes are hard on little brains.) While she was disappointed she couldn't swim, there was so much other stuff going on, it was easy to redirect her. On a 4 day cruise, there also won't be tons of time for it to be an issue. We opted not to swim on embarkation day. Nassau day, we played at Nemo's between mid-morning snack and lunch. Then it was nap, afternoon snack, characters and dinner. Castaway Day we spent the day on the beach. She got as much water time as she wanted there. Day at Sea we followed the same structure as Nassau day. So really, there were only two times we even really passed the pools. There is just so much going on at any given time that it's not a huge issue to find other things to do.

ETA: If you get off the ship in Nassau, that leaves only 1 day to worry about the pool issue.

That is encouraging - thanks TestingH20! That's what I said to Hubby.. it's only 3 nights so it's not like there will be soooo much time that there's not a million other things to do. Plus we are staying an extra week in FL afterward, in a place with a pool so it's all good. :)

There are high chairs available in Cabanas, as well as the other dining rooms.
Thanks. They told us they'd have one ready at dinner but our experience with Cabanas is almost always one of chaos and while it's typically just our breakfast spot I wasn't sure how easy they were to come by.

Thanks. They told us they'd have one ready at dinner but our experience with Cabanas is almost always one of chaos and while it's typically just our breakfast spot I wasn't sure how easy they were to come by.
Well, I saw them stacked in the corner (of each section) most mornings that we were there. If there are none available, I'm certain that a word to a nearby CM would garner you one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter