TIW price increase for DVC...

I'm piqued. How much is it to rent a car on property for a few days? It may behoove our party to rent, go to walmart/traders/whole foods and cook- esp if renting for a few days is less than $150.

I thought renting at the swan/dolphin is $40/day, and it's cheaper to rent at the airport?

We always get a car for at least one day and go to Target to get groceries and basics. We pick it up at the airport because we have Emerald Aisle and can get any car we want so it save money from reserving a minivan. With the Target red card Debit card we get an additional 5% off so it makes sense. I am lucky and travel for work so I currently have 3 free days so I will use one for the January trip and 2 days for the March trip

I have heard of people using Uber for quick grocery trips, and they tell me this has worked out very well for them. Keep in mind, however, that Uber is not allowed to pick up at the airport (drop offs are ok).

Our current card is good through the end of November and we have used it last Oct, Dec, Apr, July and again in 2 weeks. I am not excited about the price increase, but we will renew when we are there in December. We currently have 4 nights in Dec, 3 nights in April and 10-14 nights planned for July '16; and we may still add a F&W stop for next year. We still enjoy a TS with an adult beverage most days of our visit and we still do at least one character meal per visit, so we will definitely hit the $750 threshold for this next year. Just in December we have Hollywood and Vine character meal and LeCellier, so right there is about $250 in spending for just the 3 of us. We will be slowing down our WDW visit after 2016 to do other trips, so TIW may not be worth it after that for just our summer 7-10 day stay . . . particularly since it will be $225 by then at the rate they are raising the price!

TIW...NO MAS! Ran the numbers and it doesn't make sense for just the two of us. If their intention is a way to get rid of the program, then they will succeed! Really stinks though! The AP and DVC perks are dwindling! It's a bit of a kick in the teeth to the people that support Disney! I guess when you're successful, you can do things like this although it could come back and bite you in the end. I have a feeling those AP discounts for DVC members may also become a thing of the past. I guess I can't complain too much because I'm still going to keep coming back just about every year. It's like that boyfriend that treats you like crap and you still keep holding on to him.:love::sad2:

Last edited:

TIW...NO MAS! Ran the numbers and it doesn't make sense for just the two of us. If their intention is a way to get rid of the program, then they will succeed! Really stinks though! The AP and DVC perks are dwindling! It's a bit of a kick in the teeth to the people that support Disney! I guess when you're successful, you can do things like this although it could come back and bite you in the end. I have a feeling those AP discounts for DVC members may also become a thing of the past. I guess I can't complain too much because I'm still going to keep coming back just about every year. It's like that boyfriend that treats you like crap and you still keep holding on to him.:love::sad2:

Disney knows that we will keep coming back or we sell to someone else who keeps coming back. The newbies are happy for the new discount or higher price for TIW, not experiencing the earlier price.

:earsboy: Bill

The "additional blocked dates cover 2 out of 3 times we visit. Guess, it's no longer worth it for us.

But they only apply to seven restaurants.
Yeah, our favorites...'Ohana is the only one, that doesn't affect our dining habits.

1900 Park Fare
Chef Mickey’s
'Ohana (Dinner Only)
Cinderella’s Royal Table
LeChefs de France
Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
Le Cellier Steakhouse

Last edited:
I believe this is Disney’s way of eventually eliminating the card, which has been rumored.

The $100 price only saved my wife and I money if we did two trips within a 12 or 13 month period. With a $150 price tag, this eliminates that scenario. We, like many others will not buy the card and will switch to fewer table service meals, eat in the room or outside of Disney more, like we do when we only do one trip per year.

I know people who have larger families or travel in huge groups will still see great savings even at the 150 price tag. But, if people like us stop buying the TIW card; Disney will use this to eliminate TIW altogether, using the excuse - decreasing lack of interest in the card.

I believe this is Disney’s way of eventually eliminating the card, which has been rumored.

If Disney wanted to eliminate it, they'd just eliminate it. They've weathered much fiercer PR storms than this would generate.

Like all things, I suspect they just want to see how far they can push the envelope. TIW was originally conceived for locals--a way to incentivize them to dine at Disney restaurants when they have so many other (cheaper) options within easy proximity to their homes. It seems to have been expanded to AP and DVC mostly by popular demand.

Disney's restaurants can only serve so many guests per day. As long as demand is strong, there's little reason to discount.

It will surprise me if Disney eliminates the card entirely. I do think it's useful as an olive branch to locals...one which now requires even greater spending just to break even. There's really no harm in extending it to AP and DVC, but obviously fewer will take advantage of the offer at higher prices.

One would have to spend $750 to make up for the cost of the card, more to realize any savings. We don't bother with it anymore, not at this price. We take the 10% DVC discount where available, that's a small but real savings. The TIW card was nice at $100, while that lasted, but we're done with the TIW'S and the AP's for that matter.
We decided on less park touring since the AP is priced higher with block out dates and the park ticket prices are becoming beyond ridiculous.

I didn't think we would get it this time, but we did. We have a 22 yr old son working for Disney and we wound up taking him or him and a few of his friends to some of the places. So we spent more than the $750 we needed to get our money back on our first trip. And we have three more (maybe even the first night of our Marathon trip next year) that we can use it.

Prices HAVE gone up. For US (two older folks, SIG every night, 16 nights per year)....

Card: $150
20% savings at DINNERS ONLY: $125 per plate, two plates, 16 nights per year, LESS 20% = $800.

We are continuing to get TIW :). Based purely on OUR habits (always a 20% tip).... we are ahead 650 per year.

With really GOOD TIW purchase timing - we get three trips on a card. For the last two years, real rate of return has been $1050 over the lifetime of the card.
This is just us. Others may experience different outcomes, based on dining habits.

We will continue to buy TIW until the 12 month price of the card hits $650.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter