Tips for the drive to Disney with 2.5 year old...

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by BraythansMom, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Meshell2002

Meshell2002 DIS Veteran

you've gotton some great advice...I second the not pulling out the dvds immediately....it does help stretch the novelty of it. Also the color wonder books and markers....perfect for younger kids you don't trust yet with regular markers :rotfl:

I always wrap little prizes for good behavior and pass them back during the trip...this includes little snacks, dollar store toys, figures, activity books, for the little ones it used to be little people.....believe it or not the items don't HAVE to be new.....my kids just like to open stuff....so I wrap the stuff in tin foil (no tape needed).....I used some things from around the house and some things from the party section of target/ walmart (like sticky lizards, stretchy bracelets, ect.).

We also play I Spy in the Car.....at dark we even will use glo sticks....and we bring extra for the parks anyway.

good luck!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. sarahk0204

sarahk0204 DIS Veteran

At 2, my kids were still napping. We watched a movie in the AM, stopped somewhere with a play area for lunch, and then got back in the car. After lunch was quiet time with no movie, and the kids would fall asleep & nap pretty decently. Good luck!

4. bartleby1

bartleby1 DIS Veteran

I didn't read all of the answers so forgive me if some are duplicates. Here is what worked when my kids were little.

Aquadoodle
    Pipe cleaners
    Post it notes and a pencil (could never see the huge attraction but my kids loved these)
    Cookie sheet with magnets
    Son loved little people and their vehicles at that age(drove them on his cookie sheet, lol)
    Matchbox cars
    Lots of snacks
    Lollipops as a treat when they get really antsy
    Sticker books
    Coloring pages I print out with colored pencils (crayons melt on your cars eats we found out the hard way)
    Playing I spy
    We tried to save the DVDs for when nothing else worked or it got too dark for the kids to do anything else.
    If we were driving past dark, we brought some spinning light up toys
    Beach ball for rest stops

We also either packed lunch in a cooler or picked up fast food to eat in the car. We would stop for a break and let the kids run and play either at a rest stop or at a McDonald's with a play area but then feed them in the car. This way they got some exercise and eating while driving took up some of the boring drive time.

Oh, just thought of one more tip, we always left around 4:00 am the first day of driving. We'd put the kids in the car in their pjs and they would stay awake out of excitement for a while but then they'd take a good long nap! I'd also suggest trying together as much of the driving done the first day and doing less the second day rather than breaking it up evenly. Everyone has more patience the first day.