• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips for flying with 1.5 yr old?

Anyone have any good tips for flying with a child that age? I sure would appreciate them!

we took some of the following for our little ones:

* iPod / iPad / DVD player
* stickers / tape / sticky notes
* slinky (dollar store :D )
* snacks
* new book (if your kiddo enjoys books)
* travel size magna doodle
* hot wheel cars

Take lots and lots of different things for the child to play with. Somethings they love and some new things. You know their attention span is so short. Snacks of course too.

I would think that staying seated the whole time might be a better bet then letting the child up to walk around. I only say this because will the child be willing to sit back down? Only you know your child.

Good luck!

Durning take off we always had a zippy cup ready just incase their ears started to hurt, but the doc says their ears won't pop until after two
Bring a portable DVD player and their favorite toy and blanket. Snack food is always good too.

If you are putting your child in a forward facing car seat and you can, make it so that someone in your party is sitting in the seat in front of your child. That way the only person your child is annoying when kicking the seat in front of him, is someone you know!

If you have assigned seats, be the last to board. This will help minimize actual time on the plane.

Bring lots of different snacks.

Bring lovey if your child has one

Bring a change of clothes for the child in your carry on.

Comfy clothes.

Dress the child in layers. Airplanes can get warm and you can shed some layers if needed.

Bring toys your child hasn't seen yet. Dollar stores are great for this.

Buy a seat on the airplane and use a car seat... most 1.5yo can still rear face...best option on the plane! This way the child is facing you for the trip and can interact (and won't kick the seat in front of them).

For amusements:

Travel Doodle Pro (formerly Magna Doodle)
Small characters (either from Disney Store or Little People)
An empty cup (dd spent an hour one trip putting Little People in and out of a cup!)
Favorite squishy/stuffed animal
a few board books
Cars/trains (ds loved his Thomas Take Along Trains)

I've flown with children A LOT.

First and foremost--LOTS OF SNACKS!!

Besides that, sippy cup, IPod with movies or cartoons loaded up, books, paper and crayons. A blanket is very important and an airline-approved car seat if child has his/her own seat.

Go to the dollar store and buy bags of tiny dinosaurs, little cars, stickers--pull out a new item whenever he/she gets bored. Also, a package of pipe cleaners might surprise and entertain.

You don't want ear problems and a crying child for hours on end so have child eating and drinking during take-off and landing.

#1 - Their own seats (this is for the comfort of both of you!)
#2 - Food!
#3 - DVD player
#4 - we made up airplane bags for the kids with books, movies and little toys to play with. The biggest hit: a slinky from the Dollarstore - go figure!

Our toddler didn't watch tv at that point, so we always packed a small bag that was a combo of trusted, favorite toys & books and some brand new things. I stocked up at 5 below. Add some snacks & you should be fine. If it is a regular sleeping time, it can go one of two ways at that age. They might pass out anyway - preferred of course. Or if they get too overtired & excited from traveling it may backfire & they could be wired or a whiney mess. Hopefully that won't happen, but I think it's good to be mentally prepared. Out of 15ish flights, our dd has only had one major meltdown.

All great suggestions...we have flown lot...including to Mexico when DS was 2.

Did you buy the child a seat?

I remember flying right before DS was 2 and not having a seat is hard. Once he had his own seat he was so much better.

I fly solo with DS (No one has ever flown with me) and I never take a carseat (I know some people will say it is safer) but when traveling solo it is hard enough dealing with DS and carryons never mind a carseat (please no comments on how my childs safety should come first...I do feel he is safe). But anyway I always get him the window seat and I take the middle seat (works way better way no one sits next to me but still fine if someone does). This way he can look out the window and also he can not escape (yes I have a runner) so it helps my sanity on the flight.

I have tried the nap time thing and it doesnt work for us. DS does not sleep (maybe too excited for our trip). But we do DVD and snacks mostly.

Also I have always brought bottles or sippy cups with milk or juice from home. When you go thru security they have to test them but I have never had a problem bringing them and then you dont have to pay the high price of milk once you get thru the gate. And we always take the blanket.

New Toy always works for our kids

Tons of different kinds of snacks.

DVD if possible

Having a seat for the child is great. Mine never gave us a problem since we was in his car seat. Also. He was 22 months, a long child and still was never close to even touching the seat in front of him (Jet Blue). Keep the tray down and you shouldn't have a problem with them kicking.

Sippys

Reusable Sticker Book

Let him/her run around a bit once you are at the gate (before lining up for loading). Make sure to bring some food.

Forgot to add - the best suggestion we ever got was to have one person board early, some airlines will let you preboard if you are with a child. Have that person go and install the car seat (if you have a seat). The the other person w/child wait till the last boarding to go and sit. Less choas in the row if you are installing a seat and less time the child is on the plane. Worked out perfect for us... just wish we could do it again this time. We're flying SW for the first time and too worried about not getting seats together, or making another save them that we will have to board early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter