Tipping?

littlesuitcase

Mouseketeer
We are staying at POP and I am pretty sure we will be taking our bags to our room ourselves - if they offer a service what is an appropriate tip?

Also wondering about the maid service - how much do you leave for a tip each day and where do you put it? Do they clean at POP each day?

Other than restaurants where will we expect to have to tip - I want to be sure to have cash on me for this kind of thing.

Thanks for your help.

littlesuitcase said:
We are staying at POP and I am pretty sure we will be taking our bags to our room ourselves - if they offer a service what is an appropriate tip?
Our bags were stored and brought later so I am unsure if there is a service at POP but at other resorts we tip $3 per bag minimum.

Also wondering about the maid service - how much do you leave for a tip each day and where do you put it? Do they clean at POP each day?

We leave $5 per day on the sink with a note if we need anything...if don't we just write Thanks on a note and leave that so the know the cash is for them. Yes they clean every day

We loved POP, hope you have a great time!!!

(sorry for my answers in your quote...I did something wrong :blush: )

As a hotel employee (though admittedly not a CM) there is no need to tip housekeeping. Especially in Disney, housekeeping is a non-tipping position.

Why do we feel that when we are on vacation we must tip everyone? Don't tip housekeeping. They get paid. Do you tip counter service? No! Why do we elevate maids.

Chadrapp said:
Why do we feel that when we are on vacation we must tip everyone? Don't tip housekeeping. They get paid. Do you tip counter service? No! Why do we elevate maids.

To maybe get a towel animal!!! :rolleyes: Doesn't always work though. I just got back from doing a split stay at WL and AKL. Made mousekeeping envelopes before we left with $1.00/person/day and an envelope of Texas Bluebonnet seeds (Texas state flower) and candy kisses in each. Never did get a single towel animal at WL and only a washcloth folded as a fan and tucked in the end of a towel at AKL. :mad: No really, I just feel better knowing I've tipped everybody I'm supposed to.

Being from Germany I am not that familiar with tipping. I will be staying at the WL and was always wondering about tipping the bell man. Do I have to tip the person who unloads my car and then tip the person who delivers the bags to my room. Also when leaving the hotel do I have to tip the person who gets my bags from my room and the also the person who brings it out to my car. And how much per bag. Actually I think $ 3 per bag are a lot. What would you suggest?

I tip a dollar a bag if they carry my bags to my room. I tip a dollar per person and I,too make my own envelopes for Mousekeeping. Anytime I don't have to pick up after my family and can just leave the mess and come back after a day at the parks to a clean room you bet I'm going to tip. That's what gives someone that little smile some days. Don't you like for someone to do something or give something when you are doing your job? The way I look at it I'm just saying "Thanks". :D

Sorry, if I step on some toes but that's how I think.

Debra

Chadrapp said:

To me, Housekeepers have a very difficult job. They get paid very little, and have the same expenses as we do. Most of them prob. will never have the kind of vacation that my family does, so if a few $$, helps them along, while I'm spending thousands on a weeks worth of fun, so be it. And quite frankly, I don't care if I'm stepping on any toes here. That's just how I feel.

God bless the housekeepers. I know how hard it is to keep up with my family's mess.

To the original poster: $1-2/per bag is appropriate, to a skycab, or a bellboy. Same goes for housekeeping. I usually tip $5/per day for my family of four, not to get towel animals, but just for a well done job. :D

:flower1:

BRAVO Mady/Sophiemom!!!

Very well said!! I feel the same way, as far as I know it is customary to tip people that are serving you, waiters, bell services, concierge, and maids are no different....they come and clean up your mess everyday and reset your room, and help make my vacation that much nicer. We have always had the greatest mousekeepers too, one was like my long lost grandma, the sweetest lady ever! I am on vacation, they are working real hard, I love throwin a little sunshine their way :sunny:

We tip housekeeping on a daily basis, $1 per person per day and we tip bellhop $1 per bag.

Me too....and my bag is small, so $1.00 is fine for it....if I had my extra large bag that I'd check at the airport, I'd tip between $3 and $5..... :flower1:
kareneast said:
We tip housekeeping on a daily basis, $1 per person per day and we tip bellhop $1 per bag.

Mady/Sophiemom said:
To me, Housekeepers have a very difficult job. They get paid very little, and have the same expenses as we do. Most of them prob. will never have the kind of vacation that my family does, so if a few $$, helps them along, while I'm spending thousands on a weeks worth of fun, so be it. And quite frankly, I don't care if I'm stepping on any toes here. That's just how I feel.

God bless the housekeepers. I know how hard it is to keep up with my family's mess.

To the original poster: $1-2/per bag is appropriate, to a skycab, or a bellboy. Same goes for housekeeping. I usually tip $5/per day for my family of four, not to get towel animals, but just for a well done job. :D :flower1:

Amen to that! I ALWAYS tip the maids. They have a job I wouldn't do if you paid me a $1mil. That's the way I feel about it and I don't care what everyone else thinks or does. It just makes me feel happy to do this. I tip $2 per person per day and $1 to $3 per bag depending on its size. :cool1:

Thanks everyone - for those of you who prepare a mousekeeping envelope for each day - do you just put the money in an envelope or do you put a little card and the money with it? I was thinking I would have my kids do this task.

Helen

Mady/Sophiemom said:

To the original poster: $1-2/per bag is appropriate, to a skycab, or a bellboy. Same goes for housekeeping. I usually tip $5/per day for my family of four, not to get towel animals, but just for a well done job. :D

:flower1:

Here, here!!!! I want to add that we tip housekeeping because we want to teach our children respect for those who clean up after them. I cringe at the thought that my kids think nothing of someone coming in and taking care of their mess. Yes, they are getting paid, but I want my kids to have the greatest respect for the smallest jobs. JMO

Lisa

pasmommy said:
Here, here!!!! I want to add that we tip housekeeping because we want to teach our children respect for those who clean up after them. I cringe at the thought that my kids think nothing of someone coming in and taking care of their mess. Yes, they are getting paid, but I want my kids to have the greatest respect for the smallest jobs. JMO

Lisa

I mean hear, hear!!! Not "here, here" lol!

Lisa

july 1995 off-site
nov/dec 2005 VWL/WL

littlesuitcase said:

Other than restaurants where will we expect to have to tip - I want to be sure to have cash on me for this kind of thing.

Thanks for your help.

at pop you pull up to a check-in area with your car(or your driver will do it) they take your bags, and you go and check in, they dont get tips(we tipped still I believe, I cant remember if it was coming or going, but one refused tips). they will then bring them to your room an hour after it is ready(you dont have to be there). as far as for mouse keeping, we did $5 a day for me and my wife(not messy either).

I was wondering if someone could post a mousekeeper envie. i would love to do this before we go. is it ok with the hotels to tip the maids?
Bobi

Here you go!

http://users.adelphia.net/~heidiw/

I like to use the envelopes, prepare them before I leave home and tip $5 a day. Usually leave the envelope on a pillow. I keep the envelopes in the safe and take one out each morning. During December I like to leave a little extra - candies or a small ornament, something fun.

For luggage assistance I usually also give $5 - when my kids were young I did $1 a bag, but now that it is one or two of us I give $5.

For requests that are brought to the room, like a hairdryer, extra towels, I give $2.

I just say "Thank you.This is for you" and they smile and say thank you!

Someone else mentioend that with all the money we spend on the vacation including a few dollars for these service folks seems very reasonable.

Have a great trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter