Tipping

So where can I find the tipping lowdown? Not really the amounts, as we are great tippers, but how do we do it? Do you have to go to each person you come in contact with to give them the envelope? Or is that only if you are giving extra? How does tipping the concierge CMs work? How many are there and what's the usual tip for them?

:thumbsup2

So where can I find the tipping lowdown? Not really the amounts, as we are great tippers, but how do we do it? Do you have to go to each person you come in contact with to give them the envelope? Or is that only if you are giving extra? How does tipping the concierge CMs work? How many are there and what's the usual tip for them?

:thumbsup2

DCL automatically adds the tips to your onboard account now. At the end of your cruise, you will receive tip envelopes and coupons in your room. Each coupon will indicate the name and position of the person being tipped, as well as the amount. Tear the coupon in half and place 1/2 in the correct envelopes. At this time, if you wish to add additonal cash, you may. Then you hand out the envelopes to the proper person.

:cutie:

DCL automatically adds the tips to your onboard account now. At the end of your cruise, you will receive tip envelopes and coupons in your room. Each coupon will indicate the name and position of the person being tipped, as well as the amount. Tear the coupon in half and place 1/2 in the correct envelopes. At this time, if you wish to add additonal cash, you may. Then you hand out the envelopes to the proper person.

:cutie:

But do the CMs still get it if I spaz out and forget?:scratchin It's been known to happen.

But do the CMs still get it if I spaz out and forget?:scratchin It's been known to happen.

I spazzed and forgot for MDR.
Yes , if it has been charged to onboard account prior or during sailing.
It will have your lead ressie name and cabin # with amount.

But do the CMs still get it if I spaz out and forget? It's been known to happen.
Yes they will, even if the CM spazes out. Last month our head waiter was getting ready for his vacation and did not come by. Our server assured us he would still receive it if it was charged to our shipboard account.

Woody

As long as you have used the system where the tips are charged to the KTTW account (which is the default system), the appropriate CM will get the standard tip.

I like the auto charging, as we've cruised before and had our table mates skip out on dinner on the last night just to avoid the tip.

That said, on my first cruise, (on RC not DCL) I never once met the head waiter the entire cruise until the last night when he came around with his hand out. We had already decided prior to dinner to just add his tip to our Assistant Server who was fantastic. I wouldn't want to auto reward non-existent service and I'm not sure I'd want to wait in line at Guest Services to change it.

Every time I've cruised DCL, the head server has come around every night check on us. There has never been anyone on DCL that I wouldn't have wanted to tip the minimum and we just add additional cash on top for those that have gone above and beyond.

Just got back from a 5-night on the Wonder... And I'm not real fond of the new tipping system. I knew that the tips were automatically added to our account, but I expected that there'd be an easy way to adjust he tips (UP, in our case).

We didn't end up receiving the coupons until very late on night 4. The instructions said to stop by Guest Services to adjust the tips. The next day was Castaway Cay, and we had an excursion, so the first opportunity that we found to stop by Guest Services was before dinner on night 5. After 20 minutes of standing in line with 15+ people still in front of us, we gave up. There was no drop box option.

Fortunately, we had cash in appropriate denominations and were able to make it work... Otherwise everyone would have gotten standard tips. Adjusting tips (especially up) shouldn't be this hard.

Why not make it like before? Everyone gets a form asking for tips a few nights before the end of the cruise. If you return it to GS (or a drop box at GS) you get coupons with the amounts specified... If not... You get coupons with the standard tip amounts.

My TA told me that there were drop boxes for the envelopes...hmm. What do you do if prefer to pay in cash? You must physically give it to them, or give to GS? My mother insists on using cash (old school):laughing:

My TA told me that there were drop boxes for the envelopes...hmm. What do you do if prefer to pay in cash? You must physically give it to them, or give to GS? My mother insists on using cash (old school):laughing:

The standard tip amounts will automatically be charged to your account on day 1 of your cruise. For the two of us on a 5-night cruise, this was $120.

If you do nothing, you'll receive 4 coupons in your stateroom near the end of your cruise that reflect that you've paid the standard tip amounts. There is one coupon each for your server, assistant server, stateroom host(ess), and head server.

If you contact Guest Services and indicate that you want to adjust your tips, they'll adjust the charge on your shipboard account and issue you four new coupons with the new tip amounts. If you want to pay tips in cash, you just contact them and have them remove the charge from your shipboard account.

The coupons come with fancy envelopes that are intended for you to use to present the tip coupon to the person receiving it. You can add cash to the envelopes as well.

Any tips you *charge* to your shipboard account will be forwarded to those they are intended for - even if you don't end up giving them the coupon/envelope. Cash has to be handed over personally.

I often adjust tips upward based on excellent service. Under the new system it is harder to do this. You need to go to GS, stand in line, get the form, fill it out, wait while they print you new coupons. There was no drop box option for this, and the line at GS on the last 2 nights of a cruise is often very long. The other option (which I did) was to take the standard tip coupon and add cash to it, as appropriate, in the envelope.

The standard tip amounts will automatically be charged to your account on day 1 of your cruise. For the two of us on a 5-night cruise, this was $120.

If you do nothing, you'll receive 4 coupons in your stateroom near the end of your cruise that reflect that you've paid the standard tip amounts. There is one coupon each for your server, assistant server, stateroom host(ess), and head server.

If you contact Guest Services and indicate that you want to adjust your tips, they'll adjust the charge on your shipboard account and issue you four new coupons with the new tip amounts. If you want to pay tips in cash, you just contact them and have them remove the charge from your shipboard account.

The coupons come with fancy envelopes that are intended for you to use to present the tip coupon to the person receiving it. You can add cash to the envelopes as well.

Any tips you *charge* to your shipboard account will be forwarded to those they are intended for - even if you don't end up giving them the coupon/envelope. Cash has to be handed over personally.

I often adjust tips upward based on excellent service. Under the new system it is harder to do this. You need to go to GS, stand in line, get the form, fill it out, wait while they print you new coupons. There was no drop box option for this, and the line at GS on the last 2 nights of a cruise is often very long. The other option (which I did) was to take the standard tip coupon and add cash to it, as appropriate, in the envelope.

Thanks, I knew all about the auto tipping, just curious about the cash situation....

Just to add: The auto tips (tips automatically added to to one's stateroom account) is commonplace among U.S.-based mass market cruise lines. I've had auto tips on Celebrity, Holland America, and Norwegian.

Woody

It does amuse me that Holland America went from "no tipping is expected because our staff are the highest paid at sea" when we cruised in 2002....to automatic tips when we cruise with them last June. The service was just as good, so I guess I have no issue with it.

I think really 3 factors have lead to this. Compeition has forced prices down, so base pay isn't as good as before so tips are more important. People never really are comfortable with tipping. And some people just don't tip.....now based on a talk with our server on the 2002 HAL cruise, they know people from some parts of the world don't tip because it's not part of their culture., it's just part of the territory on a ship with guests from around the world.

It does amuse me that Holland America went from "no tipping is expected because our staff are the highest paid at sea" when we cruised in 2002....to automatic tips when we cruise with them last June. The service was just as good, so I guess I have no issue with it.

I think really 3 factors have lead to this. Compeition has forced prices down, so base pay isn't as good as before so tips are more important. People never really are comfortable with tipping. And some people just don't tip.....now based on a talk with our server on the 2002 HAL cruise, they know people from some parts of the world don't tip because it's not part of their culture., it's just part of the territory on a ship with guests from around the world.

I guess that different cruiselines must pay staff differently according to the recommended tips that each line publish? We cruised with a British company over C'mas and their suggested tips were waaaaay lower than DCL for instance.

Just wondering, if someone in the party doesn't attend dinner in the MDRs, is it appropriate to decrease the tip amount to adjust for that? I expect my Dad to use room service, and it seems silly that he would have to tip for room service and tip the servers in the MDR if he isn't being served there. He may not even know since my mom will probably be taking care of their account, but I just wondered what to tell him if he brings it up.

I think there's no question about it - you should of course tip them fully. First, they also serve you at breakfast and lunch and on Castaway Cay.

Second, more important, is when you reserve a cruise you reserve the server's time. They are expected to be there for you, and if you do not show up they are not given other guests for that meal!!! Just like calling a taxi and telling him to wait outside, then later you go out and tell him never mind. Do you owe the taxi for the waiting time? Of course. You obligated the servers to be there waiting for you, and common sense and courtesy says you tip them for that service.

I guess that different cruiselines must pay staff differently according to the recommended tips that each line publish? We cruised with a British company over C'mas and their suggested tips were waaaaay lower than DCL for instance.

My first cruise was on a French cruise line, and anyone accepting a tip was subject to termination.

I agree with you on the 3 factors. I would only add: Some People never really are comfortable with tipping.

Woody

When DCL departed from Dover, there were signs up in the terminal saying that the porters were not allowed to accept tips! We spent the night in Dover and took a cab to the cruise terminal; our cab driver refused a tip--actually handed the amount over the fare back to me!

However, the hotel in Dover has a charge to use the swimming pool!

Different strokes for different parts of the world, I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter