Tipping Mousekeepers during vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I travel extensively with my work. Lots of hotels stays. Just my preference but I always leave something for the housekeepers. When I go to Disney with my family ( 4 of us) we leave $8 per day.

I have to admit that I'm shocked that so many people have never heard of the concept of tipping housekeeping.

There's 3 of us so $3-4 a day everyday. I was always take a large box of candy I leave out after 1st then 2nd week

We tip $4 (4 of us) each day. We keep our rooms tidy and have never had any accidents, but the fact that someone is willing to clean my toilet is good enough reason for me! LOL I clean animal waste everyday, but a stranger?! Ew. I've even tipped park custodians that I saw cleaning up after major accidents. I know it's their job, but I am ever so thankful for them! <3

I am also shocked that people never heard of tipping. I was raised by parents who tipped housekeeping all the time everywhere we went. We leave $5 per day for two of us and if we have turndown $2. Housekeepers work very hard and they are not paid well. IMHO if I can afford to go on vacation I can afford to tip. It's all part of the trip.

Enjoy The Magic!!

We tip $5 a day if it is just DH and I and we tip $10 a day when it is all 5 of us. We leave the tip out every day because it may be different ppl doing your room from day to day.

If I do not tip them that day then I will put the do not disturb sign on the door and not even have them come in the room.

Honestly not everyone can afford a tip after paying 200 or more a night to stay.

If you truly can not afford a few dollars a day above the room cost (7days x 3$= 21$) then perhaps you need to reevaluate you lodging choice. Or even your decision to take a vacation. No matter what hotel I stay in I leave a tip. Hojo or four seasons. Just as when I go to a restaurant I leave a tip, be it an Applebee's or Morton's.

My mother was a housekeeper (or chambermaid) in the Summer when we spent our Summers in Wildwood, New Jersey. It was the norm there for people to leave the tip upon checkout, and this was what we always do at WDW. I usually leave $5 for each day.

I do, usually just a couple of bucks per day, more if I ask for something specific.

You couldn't pay me enough to clean up after someone so I really APPRECIATE those that do it.

Giving them 2 bucks to show my appreciation makes me feel good and hopefully makes them feel good as well.

I tip at ALL hotels except when I ask for maid service to skip me and I have done this at WDW as well as other places.

WDW maids are allowed to be tipped. It is considered a non-tip required, but not a tip excluded (concierge, dvc, greeters are not allowed to accept cash tips).

I think it is a personal choice. I know what I am comfortable with and in the end that's all anyone can do.

As I understand it even Disney says housekeeping is not a tipped position so I don't think anyone is really wrong here. If you have it and want to do it, go ahead but I don't think you can compare housekeeping to waiting tables as they don't require tips to survive. Servers around here make $2.13 an hour, well below minimum wage so tips are their salary.

I read an article not long ago about tipping housekeeping in the US and they did a poll and found it split straight down the middle just about 50/50 of those who do and don't. Not sure if it's regional or what.

I do not tip housekeeping, but we leave a very clean room. All they do is make the bed and leave clean towels. We just returned from a 6 night stay and I never tipped and I got towel animals 3 out of the 6 days.

I've always tipped housekeepers as did my parents when I was growing up. I usually leave $5 per day. I used to leave it on the last day but now I leave $5 each day. Once in awhile I won't have change so I'll skip a day and leave $10 the next day.

We usually tip a 1.00 per person, per day. If we are particularly messy, I'll add another 1.00 or two.

I do this at every hotel, not just Disney ones. My niece worked in housekeeping at a motel for a couple of years and I got in the habit of doing it after hearing her stories of everything she dealt with and how poor the pay was.

The problem with leaving the tip at the end is that the last housekeeper who does the room up for the NEXT person is getting the big huge tip. Now if that's the same person that has done YOUR room the whole stay, that's great, but if it isn't, then it's a real bummer for the person or people who worked for you during the stay.

Really there's no way to ever thank the housekeeper for the job they did on your room, because you never know who it is (unless you are in the room as it is happening). You're leaving a tip out in hopes that the person who gets it WILL do a nice job.

For those that mentioned turndown, you tip $5 for the day and an additional $2/day for the turndown service? We are off to our first booked CL stay so I'm new to turndown but had never tipped for it (separately from my regular housekeeping tip).

I tip $ 1.00 per person per day..I make envelopes at home and I personalize them with a picture of our area on the envelope:) I use to use tip envelopes from the Disign board but, now, I make mine from our beautiful area of the Finger Lakes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter