Tipping Mousekeepers during vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree also.... In 1977, we started our visits to WDW and their brochettes stated, no tipping necessary but appreciated...

We felt even back then, the price for the room was more than enough to cover the help...still feel the same way, housekeepers are laid a rate ( which the know beforehand) that is decent in the industry... no subsidy necessary and that how we feel...

This board are the ones creating this tipping procedure... If you feel it's necessary, have at it.. But tipping to garner better service, towel animals is not right... They are paid to do a job, do it and move on... All I paid for is a clean room, amenities and towels.... sorry, but it's how I was brought up...

If we drive to WDW and stop in route at a motel, we never left a tip, never crossed my mind...never even seen the housekeeper...!

The boards did not create the tipping procedure. I have been tipping housekeepers for 30 years. I do think that message boards do create discussions that share other people's choices, and if you had never been exposed to choice, you might get that impression. I do agree that a tip should not grant you better service, and itn Disney, it will not. For me, it is a simple thank you for enhancing my vacation, and well worth the few dollars a day.

good tippers get better service...that's just how it is.

I'm not saying bad/no tippers get bad service. But, If you want to make a good experience great, be friendly and be a good tipper.

The only time I tip housekeeping at a hotel is if my group has made a mess in the room. If I'm by myself or with people who are clean and organized, the room barely looks used when we're done. And at WDW I spend almost zero time in my room to begin with.

Back when I used to cram 12 people into a hotel room for anime conventions as a teen, we left money for the housekeeper because we would make a horrible mess, my high school friends were slobs. People would dye their hair in the hotel sink, etc.

Growing up, our family always left a tip for housekeeping, even when we were only staying one night on the road in a motel. It was just something that I thought was the norm in the industry. I didn't know that not everyone tipped until I started reading these boards. I was surprised that so many people don't.

For my part, I will continue to tip. I appreciate the service that they are doing and I know it can't be all rainbows and sunshine for them. I realize they get a salary to compensate them, but if I can show my appreciation by giving them a bit more, I will.

I tip about $1-2 per day alone and $5 per day for hubby and me. It doesn't seem to impact service at all. I have had both good and bad housekeeping service regardless of tipping.

It frustrates me that housekeeping staff will not listen to requests that I make such as NOT Making my bed after I made it!!! I like to keep the bedspread off the bed and leave sheets untucked and prefer to set the room up to my own preferences. Amazing to come back to tucked sheets, bins back to the usual spot, etc. It is more work for me to undo their work at the end of each day. All I really want is to have the trash emptied and fresh towels left. Requests and written notes to that effect just get ignored.

So, sometimes I have wondered if I didn't tip if I would get what I want and less work done! LOL

Anyway, I have always tipped and can't bring myself not to do so except in cases of flagrant poor service.

Ironically, this is the first time that I heard the housekeeping is considered an UNTIPPED position. We were taught that tips were a necessary indication of appreciation of another's efforts on our behalf.

Tipping or not for a known untipped position is at each guest's discretion, IMO.

I tip about $1-2 per day alone and $5 per day for hubby and me. It doesn't seem to impact service at all. I have had both good and bad housekeeping service regardless of tipping.

It frustrates me that housekeeping staff will not listen to requests that I make such as NOT Making my bed after I made it!!! I like to keep the bedspread off the bed and leave sheets untucked and prefer to set the room up to my own preferences. Amazing to come back to tucked sheets, bins back to the usual spot, etc. It is more work for me to undo their work at the end of each day. All I really want is to have the trash emptied and fresh towels left. Requests and written notes to that effect just get ignored.

So, sometimes I have wondered if I didn't tip if I would get what I want and less work done! LOL

Anyway, I have always tipped and can't bring myself not to do so except in cases of flagrant poor service.

Ironically, this is the first time that I heard the housekeeping is considered an UNTIPPED position. We were taught that tips were a necessary indication of appreciation of another's efforts on our behalf.

Tipping or not for a known untipped position is at each guest's discretion, IMO.

Leave your "do not disturb" sign on your door and they won't touch your sheets. You can take out your trash and get fresh towels without Mousekeeping disturbing your room.

It is a non-tipped position because the employees and their union decided that they wanted a higher wage in place of being tipped.

Really makes it unfair for all of the other employees.

:earsboy: Bill

Leave your "do not disturb" sign on your door and they won't touch your sheets. You can take out your trash and get fresh towels without Mousekeeping disturbing your room.

It is a non-tipped position because the employees and their union decided that they wanted a higher wage in place of being tipped.

Really makes it unfair for all of the other employees.

If housekeepers made a killing in wages, nobody would ever quit and there would never be positions available. It looks like Disney is constantly hiring housekeepers. The maximum annual salary for a housekeeper is about $28K per year. If you have a family of four, you are eligible for all sorts of government assistance at that wage because at today's cost of living it's barely livable.

Whether you want to tip or not is personal. I tip because I'm grateful for the service, and because I believe it's customary to tip hotel staff and that it's bad manners if you don't tip. If you have a different opinion, that's fine, but you'll never convince me otherwise and I doubt I'd convince you.

If housekeepers made a killing in wages, nobody would ever quit and there would never be positions available. It looks like Disney is constantly hiring housekeepers. The maximum annual salary for a housekeeper is about $28K per year. If you have a family of four, you are eligible for all sorts of government assistance at that wage because at today's cost of living it's barely livable.

Whether you want to tip or not is personal. I tip because I'm grateful for the service, and because I believe it's customary to tip hotel staff and that it's bad manners if you don't tip. If you have a different opinion, that's fine, but you'll never convince me otherwise and I doubt I'd convince you.

It is what it is, I don't know why we made it customary to tip hotel staff and not others. Some people tip the attendant in the restrooms but we don't seem to tip the toilet cleaner in the parks. Some people tip the taxi driver but not the bus driver. We tip a maître d' in a fancy restaurant for taking us to a table but we don't tip the hostess that does the same job at a less fancy restaurant.

Do what you want, I just feel that it's necessary to let people know that Disney, the housekeepers at Disney and their union elected to make housekeeping a non-tipped position.

Just for the historical perspective of a rather extreme variety...

When the revolution comes (and I hope it doesn't in this country any time soon) but when it does there are things you can do to minimize the risk of being lined up against the wall.

It's happened every time a nation with huge income disparity collapses, the revolutionaries round up every landlord, noble, and wealthy jerk. Revolution in China was famous for its trials of the landlords and moneylenders. Same in Cuba and Guatamala.

I'm not saying that someone with enough money to vacation in WDW deserves a beheading, but someone like this who can't part with an extra $15 to $20 a week to help the woman cleaning the stains out of his toilet...

It takes so little to not be that guy... Tip a houskeeper, delay the revolution.

When the revolution comes (and I hope it doesn't in this country any time soon) but when it does there are things you can do to minimize the risk of being lined up against the wall.

It's happened every time a nation with huge income disparity collapses, the revolutionaries round up every landlord, noble, and wealthy jerk. Revolution in China was famous for its trials of the landlords and moneylenders. Same in Cuba and Guatamala.

I'm not saying that someone with enough money to vacation in WDW deserves a beheading, but someone like this who can't part with an extra $15 to $20 a week to help the woman cleaning the stains out of his toilet...

It takes so little to not be that guy... Tip a houskeeper, delay the revolution.

Seriously???:rotfl2:

Uhhhhhh......

And that's why this WDW vacationer owns "assault rifles" and "high capacity" magazines. I'll be taking a lot of proles with me when they come for me.

Don't go quietly when the thieves and looters come calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter