Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then you just sign for the tip amount?

it's exactly as was posted above. They scan your band, bring you a receipt to look over and put in a tip amount. They then run your DP and charge the tip to your room and bring everything for you to sign

New tipping thread policy​

Time for a fresh start to the tipping thread. Same rules, same info, just a new start :)

Tipping threads here on the Restaurant Boards have consistently turned into debate threads with lots of arguments. They all tend to get closed in the end once they cross the line.

The Restaurant Board mods are willing to create one thread where tipping questions can be asked and answered. HOWEVER, this is NOT the debate board.

Here are the basic guidelines
1. No fighting, name calling or debate on people's personal tipping habits. This includes but not limited to:
• I will not tip my server more than I tithe the Lord
• I will not give a server more than I make an hour
• Everyone knows servers make 100k a year, why should I tip them
• Servers should be paid a living wage and not have to depend on tips to support themselves. hence tipping should be abolished.
2. No flaming anyone for any reason.

3. Any post deemed off topic or in anyway against the posting guidelines will be deleted without comment and the poster will receive an infraction.

4. Any other thread started on the restaurant board for the "tipping" topic will be closed with a note to see this thread (This includes DDP board).

5. No personal tipping habits are to be discussed. Generally speaking, what you tip at Disney is entirely up to you. To figure out what your meal will run, check out the menus here on the DIS. This will give you an idea of the meal cost. Disney does provide 18% and 20% calculations on the dining receipt. What you actually tip, is up to you with the exceptions below.

The exceptions to this are those using the Tables in Wonderland (TiW) Discount Card and parties of 6 or more. If you are in either one of these categories, you will have an auto gratuity of 18% added to your bill. Adjustments to this would need to be discussed with a manager.

Parties of 6 include everyone at the table, including children under 3 and infants. If you are dining with another group and paying separate, you are still subject to the 18% gratuity added to the bill. Each group at the table can get their own bill with their portion of the gratuity split out.

Please note – Disney does not differentiate between types of Table Service – buffets, all you care to eat and menu ordering locations are all treated equal and subject to the same guidelines by Disney.

There is always concern expressed about a set gratuity and service. Your option is to talk to the manager at the time of the incident. The only adjustment possible is done by the restaurant manager. Better to speak to the manager early on and receive improved service than to complain at the end to request redeuced gratuity

6. You may pay the gratuity in many different forms. You may use:
• Disney Dollars
• Disney Visa (or any credit card)
• Disney gift cards and Disney Reward cards
• Disney room charge (KTTW card)
• Cash (Just write cash on the tip line and leave the $$ in the folder)

7. The gratuity is included (on DDP and OOP) in the dinner shows Hoop Dee Doo Review, Spirit of Aloha and at Cinderella’s Royal Table. You can always leave additional.
(For Dining Plan guests it is also included for Private In-Room Dining and Pizza Delivery when using Dining Plan Credits to pay for your meals)

8. No tip is accepted at the Wishes dessert parties.

Please abide by these guidelines - and everyone can get the info they need for planning their magical Disney vacations.

If this does not work, we will ban this topic from the restaurant boards. Any new posts started will be closed

Thank you and we appreciate your cooperation,
The Restaurant Board Mods

Just a reminder of all of the great info in the first post of the thread. :goodvibes

Tips can be added to magic bands right?

I just got back last week and was on the dining plan. When they bring you the bill,unless you are a party of 8 or more I believe, they will bring you a bill for the total of your meal and there is a spot on the check that gives you a recommended tip amount ( if I am not mistaken it shows 18% and 20%) this is just a suggestion. there is then a spot for you to writ in the tip amount. They will take the check back after you put your room card in the sleeve and fill out the tip amount. They will bring you the final copies of your receipt one for the room charge and one for the tip amount. You sign both of them and look over them to make sure all charges are correct. If you have any doubt about weather a tip has been added, check the original receipt for added grituity. It is really easy and if you ever have any questions you can always ask the server they are very understanding about the confusion behind understanding the charges on the dinning plan. Don't fret, I have never been double charged for my tip. if it happens I would assume it was an oversight by not reading the check closely. Have a great trip and enjoy.

I'm sure this has been answered, but I don't have time right now to read all posts here...sorry :(

We are only dining at 2 sit down locations. CRT and Chef Mickey's. From my understanding, gratuity is included in CRT, correct? Also, since Chef Mickey's is a buffet, how does tipping work there? Do we have a server of some sort for drinks or something? Or is it completely self serve? I would normally plan to tip 20% but am just a little thrown off since its a buffet!

Thanks!

CRT is all inclusive :)

For any other TS, Disney does not treat buffet any differently from menu service

Example:
6 diners have the same 18% :teacher:added to their bill regardless of what TS the diners enjoyed

Personal tipping habits discussion is not allowed so please no one comment:)

So the answer is you may tip according to how you choose:goodvibes

Hi

First time we'll have dining plan and first time with magic bands, so please forgive me if this is a "stupid question".

We'll use dining plan and I want to pay the tips in cash.
So how does it work? When they bring me the receipt I just write "cash" and then I leave the amount before leaving the restaurant? :confused3

Thanks

Hi

First time we'll have dining plan and first time with magic bands, so please forgive me if this is a "stupid question".

We'll use dining plan and I want to pay the tips in cash.
So how does it work? When they bring me the receipt I just write "cash" and then I leave the amount before leaving the restaurant? :confused3

Thanks

you will get a check with all items listed on it. In the tip area write CASH and then give it to the server. They will run your dining plan and return with a receipt for you to sign. Sign and leave the cash

I've heard that chefs at WDW are not permitted to accept tips. Is this true? If it is true, then how can you show your appreciation of extra effort on your behalf - other than a sincere and hearty thank-you?

I've heard that chefs at WDW are not permitted to accept tips. Is this true? If it is true, then how can you show your appreciation of extra effort on your behalf - other than a sincere and hearty thank-you?

send an email to guest services complimenting the chef. It will get put on their record card

We leave in just a few days, and I have a question about the tip added on the check for parties of 6 or more. We will be a group of 8 (4/2/2) and we are on the dining plan but of course there will be tips involved for the table service meals. I think they automatically add 18% to checks for parties of 6 or more, so it will appear on our bill. I have NO PROBLEM paying it (and adding more, making it 20-22%) if the service is adequate or better. But. If we have a disappearing server and can never get drink refills, they never ask how our meals are, etc. can we lower the 18% tip? I wouldn't be happy being forced to tip 18% for poor service.

MI Grandma,

Hope that you have a magical trip! It's buried in there, but the answer to your question is in the first post of this thread. I bolded and highlighted it here for ease of finding it, but basically, if you have poor service, you can talk to a manager to have the billing adjusted.

Hope you have a great time!

New tipping thread policy​

Time for a fresh start to the tipping thread. Same rules, same info, just a new start :)

Tipping threads here on the Restaurant Boards have consistently turned into debate threads with lots of arguments. They all tend to get closed in the end once they cross the line.

The Restaurant Board mods are willing to create one thread where tipping questions can be asked and answered. HOWEVER, this is NOT the debate board.

Here are the basic guidelines
1. No fighting, name calling or debate on people's personal tipping habits. This includes but not limited to:
• I will not tip my server more than I tithe the Lord
• I will not give a server more than I make an hour
• Everyone knows servers make 100k a year, why should I tip them
• Servers should be paid a living wage and not have to depend on tips to support themselves. hence tipping should be abolished.
2. No flaming anyone for any reason.

3. Any post deemed off topic or in anyway against the posting guidelines will be deleted without comment and the poster will receive an infraction.

4. Any other thread started on the restaurant board for the "tipping" topic will be closed with a note to see this thread (This includes DDP board).

5. No personal tipping habits are to be discussed. Generally speaking, what you tip at Disney is entirely up to you. To figure out what your meal will run, check out the menus here on the DIS. This will give you an idea of the meal cost. Disney does provide 18% and 20% calculations on the dining receipt. What you actually tip, is up to you with the exceptions below.

The exceptions to this are those using the Tables in Wonderland (TiW) Discount Card and parties of 6 or more. If you are in either one of these categories, you will have an auto gratuity of 18% added to your bill. Adjustments to this would need to be discussed with a manager.

Parties of 6 include everyone at the table, including children under 3 and infants. If you are dining with another group and paying separate, you are still subject to the 18% gratuity added to the bill. Each group at the table can get their own bill with their portion of the gratuity split out.

Please note – Disney does not differentiate between types of Table Service – buffets, all you care to eat and menu ordering locations are all treated equal and subject to the same guidelines by Disney.

There is always concern expressed about a set gratuity and service. Your option is to talk to the manager at the time of the incident. The only adjustment possible is done by the restaurant manager. Better to speak to the manager early on and receive improved service than to complain at the end to request redeuced gratuity

6. You may pay the gratuity in many different forms. You may use:
• Disney Dollars
• Disney Visa (or any credit card)
• Disney gift cards and Disney Reward cards
• Disney room charge (KTTW card)
• Cash (Just write cash on the tip line and leave the $$ in the folder)

7. The gratuity is included (on DDP and OOP) in the dinner shows Hoop Dee Doo Review, Spirit of Aloha and at Cinderella’s Royal Table. You can always leave additional.
(For Dining Plan guests it is also included for Private In-Room Dining and Pizza Delivery when using Dining Plan Credits to pay for your meals)

8. No tip is accepted at the Wishes dessert parties.

Please abide by these guidelines - and everyone can get the info they need for planning their magical Disney vacations.

If this does not work, we will ban this topic from the restaurant boards. Any new posts started will be closed

Thank you and we appreciate your cooperation,
The Restaurant Board Mods

Tricia1972: Thank you for the information :)

We're pretty easy to please, and I am a former server so I am very understanding and it takes a lot to upset us, so hopefully everything will be wonderful and no problems. :)

You will receive two bills. Your bill will be for the 5 in your family, and the automatic gratuity will be based upon the total food cost of your bill.

The second family will receive a bill for the two of them. Their automatic gratuity will be based upon the total food cost of their bill.

This is how it works for everyone, regardless on how you are paying for the bill. Hope this helps :goodvibes

(I moved the tipping question out of your original thread, so we didn't have to close that thread. The Sci-Fi Cars question is still in the original thread that you posted)

Thank you for this answer. It seems there are many different configurations of families and friends dining together. It seems rather simple to address, if you just let your server know at the beginning of the meal....that you are two or more parties.

We had no problems paying cash for our tip (and for the glass of wine my aunt had nightly with our adr's lol), nothing was mistakingly charged to our room so I was quite happy with that. What I didn't think about ahead of time, was that while trying to get more expensive items to make the most of the dining plan my mom purchased, it always put my tip amount up higher and higher. lmao!!!! Usually we got the bill, then asked for them to bring us a new bill with the dining plan applied (leaving the wine and tip left to pay) and then left cash and wrote cash on every tip line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter