Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize if this has already been answered, but I don't have time to read through all the pages!!

If I am on the DDP and want to give a tip by charging to my room, how do I do that? Just tell the waiter? Or will they print me out a receipt to sign like at a normal restaurant?? I haven't used the DDP since 2009 and can't really remember how it works (and I don't know how it works with MagicBands at all...).

You let the server know that you are using the DDP, they will scan your MB to see how many credits you have, how many adults/children. When you are finished your meal you will be brought a check. It will be itemized and a place to put the gratuity. You simply write the amount in and give it back to the server. They will remove your credits and charge the gratuity to your room. You will then sign for the DP and room charge

I'm traveling with a party of 8. On some of our ADR's it states that we may be seated at different tables. That's not a huge problem for us. My question is whether the mandatory 18% will apply if we are seated at different tables?
If the reservation is made together the tip will be added even if you are at separate tables

What do people tip the hotel check-in staff? I've always been troubled by this.
If, however, you're referring to the Bell/Valet staff, well, those are customarily tipped positions but what someone tips is very individualized.

QUOTE="lizzytizzy, post: 34325207, member: 145292"]Does anybody have a copy of a dining receipt that they can show us? I have never used DDP before and this time it will be my first. Will the receipt list the prices of each entree? Or will it have only the recommended tip amount and the number of TS credits? Any help would be appreciated!:surfweb:[/QUOTE]

1) All checks have an itemoized acconting of the bill and each charge for food, drinks, taxes, etc.
2) At the bottom. near the signature line is the suggested amounts for a tip amount.
. . . example:
. . . Tip 18%: $10.55
. . . Tip 20%: $18.62
3) You just write in the actual tip amount like on any other credit card slip you have had anywhere else.
4) It is not as scary as it sounds.
5) Well, at least not quite as scary as it sounds.

So I have a question and I feel embarrassed to ask, since it sounds stupid, but it's a real question. So my lady friend and I have reservations for CRT. It's prepaid and I was told tax and tip were already included. I ordered her the chocolate slipper dessert. I plan to tip on that, but even at 20%, it's like $2+. Will I look insane for leaving a $2+ tip? I'm not sure how that works regarding a prepaid meal. Thank you in advance!

Sorry, I am having trouble getting through all 42 pages of this thread. But I have a couple of questions. The original post says that the DDP has the tip included. I thought it didn't. Does it? Also, if half of our group is using DDP and the other half with be using Tables in Wonderland discount, will the entire party have to pay an 18% gratuity? How is that calculated?

Are you referring to this one?

7. The gratuity is included (on DDP and OOP) in the dinner shows Hoop Dee Doo Review, Spirit of Aloha and at Cinderella’s Royal Table. You can always leave additional.
(For Dining Plan guests it is also included for Private In-Room Dining and Pizza Delivery when using Dining Plan Credits to pay for your meals)

It is only for the items mentioned, not all ddp

For dining w ddp and tiw, those on tiw will have 18%

For those on ddp, it is. Up to you IF you have less than 6 people at the table. 6 or more, 18% will be added to the ddp guests in addition to the tiw group because of the table count

Hope that helps!

So I have a question and I feel embarrassed to ask, since it sounds stupid, but it's a real question. So my lady friend and I have reservations for CRT. It's prepaid and I was told tax and tip were already included. I ordered her the chocolate slipper dessert. I plan to tip on that, but even at 20%, it's like $2+. Will I look insane for leaving a $2+ tip? I'm not sure how that works regarding a prepaid meal. Thank you in advance!

You are fine to leave additional, a small amount is ok since based on purchase. Hope she enjoys it!

Are you referring to this one?

7. The gratuity is included (on DDP and OOP) in the dinner shows Hoop Dee Doo Review, Spirit of Aloha and at Cinderella’s Royal Table. You can always leave additional.
(For Dining Plan guests it is also included for Private In-Room Dining and Pizza Delivery when using Dining Plan Credits to pay for your meals)

It is only for the items mentioned, not all ddp

For dining w ddp and tiw, those on tiw will have 18%

For those on ddp, it is. Up to you IF you have less than 6 people at the table. 6 or more, 18% will be added to the ddp guests in addition to the tiw group because of the table count

Hope that helps!

Thanks! That helps a lot. Sorry, I must have misread #7. Too bad they don't include the tip in the cost of the DDP. We are taking our two adult DD's and their families to WDW. We want to pay for the DDP for each person and the tips. But I am not paying for alcohol or food beyond the DDP. Not sure how we are going to do this when we aren't with them. I am sure we will drive the wait staff nutty. We are using Tables in Wonderland for DH and me. But the rest will be on DDP. And we are going to pay for some things with the discount and some with the DDP.

If I am on the DDP but want to tip in cash what do we wrote on the receipt. I'm from the UK but never quite know what we ought to do. However, last trip a nice server at 50's Prime Time said some servers may take out tip money and charge the tip to our room account. It was our last meal though and I never worked out what she meant. I have been 7 trips and manage but would like to actually know what I am doing!

Thanks for all these tips; it is our first time to use the DDP and it helps to see how others are handling the tips. I'm leaning toward taking cash for tips.

Our next trip we'll have 8 people and I'm going to pay a lot with Gift cards (so I can pre-save).
Sometimes we'll have 4 though so I want to understand how it will work with GC. We are staying offsite so no room charges.

Please note that the numbers below are somewhat fictitional. The 240 is fixed cost of 30 pp for a party of 8, and the tax is completely fictitional but zero makes the math easy, and the 18% is a real number based on the the mandatory tip for large parties.

PARTY OF 8, TS, Non-inclusive (ie: not CRT etc)
Meal= $240
Tax=$0 (/ha ha)
18%=43.2
====
A.
*** We'll get a bill like so
total food+tax: 240.00
18% gratiutiy: 43.20
TOTAL: 283.20
*** We'll hand them the gift card, and they'll run it for 283.20
No signing anything because it's like cash
B.
*** We'll get a bill like so
total food+tax: 240.00
18% gratiutiy: 43.20
Optional add'l: ______
TOTAL: _______
**** We fill out whatever we choose for optional additional, total it up and hand them the gift card and they run the entire thing.
C.
We will get the bill like A or B above
We fill the total out (or it's already filled out)
They take it into the back and run it for 240.
They bring it back out, we sign it, they run it again for the 43.20
D.
We get the bill like A or B above
We fill the total out
They take it to the back and run it for the total.
They bring it back for me to sign.

====
I can you can see I'm curious about two details
1. the "running" of the GC, if it's more like Cash (no signature) or more like a credit card (signature)
2. whether it's dinged once or twice

THEN....
PARTY OF 4, TS, Non-Inclusive
Will they wait for us to fill out the gratuity line and run it once, or, run it once for the total and once for the tip?

THANKS!!

With the party of 8, when the bill comes it will have the 18% grat already calculated into the total. You put the GC in the check book and give it to the server. The server will process the entire payment and you will then have to sign for the charge. GC total hit once

When you dine with less then 6, you will be given a check. You put the GC in the check book and the server runs the charge. They will then return the slip to you and you fill in the tip line and sign the paper. The server will close the check by submitting the tip amount into the computer. GC is hit twice

When the GC is run, you will have a balance that tells how much is left on the card.

Your transaction is not complete until you sign on the - It will say signature line and have X___________________. IF you don't see X______________ then you have another slip coming that does have one

With the party of 8, when the bill comes it will have the 18% grat already calculated into the total. You put the GC in the check book and give it to the server. The server will process the entire payment and you will then have to sign for the charge. GC total hit once

When you dine with less then 6, you will be given a check. You put the GC in the check book and the server runs the charge. They will then return the slip to you and you fill in the tip line and sign the paper. The server will close the check by submitting the tip amount into the computer. GC is hit twice

When the GC is run, you will have a balance that tells how much is left on the card.

Your transaction is not complete until you sign on the - It will say signature line and have X___________________. IF you don't see X______________ then you have another slip coming that does have one

Perfect explanation, thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter