Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just booked CRT using the TIW discount.
I know that the regular price of CRT includes the tax and tip.
Although TIW takes off 20%, it also automatically adds 18% for tip.

When I booked with the TIW discount the final price was $50.70 per person.
(I paid this in full for all 4 of us).
This seems like it does not include the tip now.

When booking CRT with TIW, is the tip not charged until the time of the meal?

Base price was 55.00

I just went last night (made the reservation one day in advance...woo hoo).

I did end up getting charged more but nobody could explain it and i found it odd that when I reserved with Disney using their own Tables in Wonderland program that the person making the reservation couldn't figure out the price it would be for the most popular meal at Disney and I ended up with a 21.00 bill at the end of the meal (which couldn't have been for tip....too small of an amount). I guess I'm the first person ever to call disney and book CRT with the TIW discount??

so original price with tax and tip (all inclusive pre set price) is $67 and change.
I paid (with the additional charge during dinner) $55 and change per adult.

TIW gives 20% off but auto adds on 18% gratuity. so basically free tip for meals cause it's a wash.

I thought the price quoted over the phone was a lil low, but with the discount it still ended up pretty good for a 3 course meal, plus photo package, plus character interaction, plus we all got magic wands and swords and 2 of us celebrating got additional huge pound cakelike cupcakes.

I'm still not convinced that Disney's math was accurate.
And the server said the additional charge was because TIW only discounts food and some of the dinner cost is considered merchandise....i dunno...i think it comes down to nobody knows what anyone is doing and the guests just wander around nodding and handing over money and they don't even notice.

It was still a good value with the discount....regardless of the mystery tip amount.

"Merchaandise" doesn't make any sense when everything is listed as included with the meal.
Here's how it breaks down:
Tax on $55 is $3.58
18% service charge on $55 is $9.90
20% TIW discount on $55 is $11.00
$55 + $3.58 + $9.90 - $11.00 = $57.48
Except that :teeth: I've heard the CRT price is all-inclusive - which means it should have cost you $44.00. Go figure.

when i tried to book it online it was over 67 per person and it had no place to put the TIW discount in.

When i was leaving the castle other people were trying to book for another date and they told them it was $67 as well.

I thought the other price was all inclusive but it's not.

calling in they charged me $201 and change for 4 people.
waiter said there was another charge...like i said..they dunno what they are doing.
ended up adding on $21 and change

still ended up the same as pretty much any other disney dinner and was a nice time.

:goodvibes we are a family of 6 on the dining plan I have 5 reservations made for Chef Mikey, Sci-Fi, Akershus, Coral Reef,and Tusker House so I can budget our daily tips to 18% that will be charged to our room card or pay it with our gift cards right then and there? If I could get 1 giftcard specifically for tips that would work great for us

:goodvibes we are a family of 6 on the dining plan I have 5 reservations made for Chef Mikey, Sci-Fi, Akershus, Coral Reef,and Tusker House so I can budget our daily tips to 18% that will be charged to our room card or pay it with our gift cards right then and there? If I could get 1 giftcard specifically for tips that would work great for us

You can pay with room card, credit, gift, reward cards or cash.

Tricia1972

Thanks for pointing out this thread (in the other that you closed). Was not aware that it existed.

Dan

I have a question about adjusting tipping for TiW. The first post says it can be discussed with management. Would it be bad form to adjust a tip for a buffet, since people (that I know) generally don't tip as much at buffets (since nobody's bringing you food or anything), or is 18% worth it for that particular meal?

Once you hand over your TIW card for the discount the computer automatically puts the gratuity on it when it applies the discount. 18% is the amount the TIW card tips regardless of whether its food or alcohol. Type of restaurant doesnt matter

Once you hand over your TIW card for the discount the computer automatically puts the gratuity on it when it applies the discount. 18% is the amount the TIW card tips regardless of whether its food or alcohol. Type of restaurant doesnt matter

Yes, but I've been told by several people that it can be adjusted if you ask, so I guess my question in general, not just for TiW, is if it's not polite to not tip as much for buffet? If 18% is normal for buffets, that's perfectly fine. I just want to be sure.

when people suggest speaking to the management about the tip, they generally mean if you received poor service.

If you want to have a discussion with the manager about whether or not a buffet is worth 18%, I suppose you could try.

Yes, but I've been told by several people that it can be adjusted if you ask, so I guess my question in general, not just for TiW, is if it's not polite to not tip as much for buffet? If 18% is normal for buffets, that's perfectly fine. I just want to be sure.

If you are a aprty of 6 or have the TIW card you will have that automatically added, if you don't have either of those it won't matter and you can tip whatever you want. I don't know what management wil lsay if you say you want to tip less because it's a buffet. They still have characters comeing around for many of them (not all) and the servers are clearing your plates away and bring you extra of anything you need. If the server is NOT doing those things (and I have to say 2 of the times we have been to 1900 PF we had lousey service) then you can discuss it.

As per the first post. If you want the tip adjusted talk to the management to see if it can be adjusted. Disney doesn't differentiate between Buffet or not, so if you want it adjusted at a buffet you'll need to ask.

This line of discussion/debate is exactly why there is just one thread. It gets heated very fast. :goodvibes

In all my years of eating out I never thought of this question before. Do you tip on the amount before or after the tax is added? :confused3

In all my years of eating out I never thought of this question before. Do you tip on the amount before or after the tax is added? :confused3

You're supposed to tip on the pre-tax amount, but I always tip on the total - it's just easier that way for me.

Usually after..it's easier as the above poster said and we're talking very little difference for the most part.:confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter