Tinker Bell ½ Marathon Weekend ~ 2014 Check-in!

I got my treadmill at Sears Outlet. They have items that are scratched and dented (mostly appliances, but fitness equipment, too). My crazy incline trainer/treadmill has a big ol' scratch on the front kickplate thing, and the original purchaser refused delivery. There was nothing wrong with the machinery--it waspurely a cosmetic issue. It was half the price of a brand new one, and it still came with the warranty and everything. They also sometimes have refurbished models, but most just have a scratch or dent somewhere.

They had 5 or 10 treadmills in the store when I got mine, in all price ranges (and lots of ellipticals, too). Do some research or bring a smartphone so you can check reviews and current retail prices, just to make sure you're really getting a great deal. I can say that we are incredibly happy with our purchase! I was able to get a MUCH nicer machine than I had planned!:cool1:

Thank you! I didn't even think of that. There is a Sears outlet not too far from us. Totally worth checking out at least!

I do shift work and right now I'm on graveyards, and like you I'm a little freaked about running outside at odd hours, so about a month ago I invested in a treadmill :) We looked around CraigsList, and we ended up buying one from a used sporting goods store in town (they advertised on CraigsList). We ended up getting an AFG one and I like it, and I would highly recommend going the used route as well, you can usually find hardly used ones at a fraction of the price that a new one would cost. Just take a look at the models being advertised and google them to see reviews, customer ratings, etc. I also used a website that allowed me to input a search parameter and they would notify me automatically of new sale postings .. however I just saw they received a "ceast and desist" letter from CraigsList :( I'm sure there's other similar services out there though.

Question thats not Tink related, but it is running related.

With winter fast approaching I want to buy a treadmill for our garage. I'm a scardey cat and hate running in the dark outside. For those of you that own one, what are your thoughts on new vs used treadmills? Obvisouly I'm on a budget and theres a million treadmills for sale on craigslist around here. Would you personally consider buying a used one or would you want to definitely stick to a new one with a warranty? Any brands you would/would not recommend?

Check this store - Sacramento Exercise Equipment.

They have a wide variety of treadmills. I bought a gym quality elliptical from them for a really good price.

So excited that I can officially say that we will be attending Tinkerbell! My 30th birthday is on the day of the race, so husband said he'd do his first half marathon with me (and in a fairy costume!) for my present ;) Sister in law and I have done many runDisney events, but this is everyone's first Tinkerbell, and we are so excited to be able to run it for charity as well. Looking forward to a great weekend! :)

I know this is a real slim chance, and I'm not exactly sure how the team registration works, but just in case someone bought too many tickets for their team and has extra, my DH and I would love to buy them off you! We got to talking about how much fun this would be for us to add to our January 2014 trip and we were too late! Just figured it was worth a try! Haha :)

Finally got around to booking my tickets for Tink. I'm doing the 10K and half. Really wish I would have gone ahead and registered for the 5K too.

Count us in for the 10K too! :cheer2: My husband and oldest daughter have agreed to run with me. We have never done anything like this before but I needed the incentive a race at Disney will give me so I can get into shape. I've already lost 10 lbs with the training so I'm on the right track, but with Thanksgiving this weekend (here in Canada) both the training and the diet are going out the window! At least our Thanksgiving & Christmas are far enough apart that I can really get back on track between.

Barb

Hello!!

My daughter and I are signed up for Tink, our first 1/2. Today, we ran a 10k race and submitted our finish times to hopefully improve our start position. She was quite a bit faster than me (about one hour). I finished at 1:17. I'm wondering how or if this time will affect our starting position.

Thanks for the input.

Hello!!

My daughter and I are signed up for Tink, our first 1/2. Today, we ran a 10k race and submitted our finish times to hopefully improve our start position. She was quite a bit faster than me (about one hour). I finished at 1:17. I'm wondering how or if this time will affect our starting position.

Thanks for the input.

It's really a guess right now. Usually we'd be able to give you an idea of corral placement based on previous years.

But Disney is changing the corral size starting in 2014 races (well, started at TOT and Wine and Dine really) what we see are a-d corrals smaller than previous years.

Your dd will probably be placed in one of those. The 1:17 might have been a D time in years past but more like g or h this year. (Just examples not predicting!)

Even going off wine and dine or marathon weekend isn't helpful because those races have a lot more men participating (who can be faster as a group) so the corrals will look different for tink and PHM races.

Bottom line... We don't know. Lol. Sorry!!! Lots of changes this year but nothing we can guess just yet. If you check my blog in signature there's a post specific to corral information that might help you!

Thank you longhorns2! I took a look at your blog and that helped get me in the ballpark as what I might expect. I'm new to this running thing...but we are very much looking forward to Tink in January.

Thanks again.

I've been working on my walk/run for the last year, done a 5k or two. This will be my first Disney event and my first 10k. I thought I would do the 5k, but a friend who I credit (blame?) for getting me into this is doing the 10k and the 1/2 and thought I could manage the 10k. She also didn't want to have to wake up early EVERY day :) So, I'm here, ready to try in January.

I just want to write a quick note to sing my praises of GET travel. Bill was more than accommodating to all my special requests and I would definitely recommend using them as your travel agent if you have not booked your hotel yet. See you all at the Start Line!

I just want to write a quick note to sing my praises of GET travel. Bill was more than accommodating to all my special requests and I would definitely recommend using them as your travel agent if you have not booked your hotel yet. See you all at the Start Line!

I am glad to hear that. I have to call them today to see if I can add a night to my hotel. I was originally going to stay in LA our first night and sightsee a bit, but now I think I'd rather not deal with the hassle and just go straight to DL from the airport and relax.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Finally checking in for the 1/2 marathon :wave2: after having mentally denied that I signed up for such a long run :rolleyes1 and then being busy with real life (and the official runDisney training schedule :thumbsup2).

My mom and I ran the Neverland 5k last year (my first-ever race :cool1:). I wanted to go run the 5k again...but my mom said that she'd only go with me if we did the 1/2, so that's how I ended up signing up for the 13.1 miles.

I hate running, but I need to become a runner in order to get my time down for the Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test since I'm applying to the Marine Corps Reserves. My application for this past board was automatically denied because I was 6 pounds underweight :headache:, and they don't provide waivers for the medical condition of just being naturally skinny. However, I'm looking at the rejection as a chance to improving my running time and finally get a perfect PFT score, hence why running a 1/2 marathon will be awesome (3 miles is nothing compared to 13.1 miles and running at least 3 miles each Saturday is getting my behind into gear ::yes::).

I thought that training would suck, especially because I have to run in the hills of Oakland CA :crazy2:, but it's been kind of awesome (and I know running up hills now will make the steady inclines in the parks feel like nothing). Up until this past Saturday, I never thought that I could run/walk 7 miles (over halfway) without collapsing, but now I know I can do it in 90 mins. :teeth:

The only thing that I'm really worried about is staying hydrated/energized. I don't really want to be carrying anything other than my iPod Touch (I know I'll need the music in Anaheim), but I noticed on my 7-mile excursion that I felt super dehydrated at points and when I did the MCRD Boot Camp Challenge :cool2: at the end of last month in San Diego, I was running on pure adrenaline by the end because of the heat and the obstacles (so if it's hot, I'll need a snack). I don't want to have to rely on water stations in case I need more, so does anyone have recommendations for something that can go on my back, or is the fannypack style THE way to go?

I'm also having a hard time settling down on a costume. I kind of want to go as Emma Swan from Once Upon A Time (which would be blue running capris or shorts, brown socks, a red longsleeve t-shirt with a v-neck and a white tank underneath), but I don't think that many people would get the reference. I've also been toying with the idea of doing one of the Frozen girls or Rapunzel (which would be easy to do with a braided bun, some flower hair clips, and all-purple clothing). My goal is to have my costume done by December 15 so that I can do a couple of practice runs in it. This will be my first time running in costume, so feedback would be appreciated. :upsidedow

The only thing that I'm really worried about is staying hydrated/energized. I don't really want to be carrying anything other than my iPod Touch (I know I'll need the music in Anaheim), but I noticed on my 7-mile excursion that I felt super dehydrated at points and when I did the MCRD Boot Camp Challenge at the end of last month in San Diego, I was running on pure adrenaline by the end because of the heat and the obstacles (so if it's hot, I'll need a snack). I don't want to have to rely on water stations in case I need more, so does anyone have recommendations for something that can go on my back, or is the fannypack style THE way to go?

I have a couple of hydration/fuel belts, but the one I use most often is my Nathan Speed 2 Hydration Belt. There is also a model that comes with 4 bottles, but I find that 2 bottles work well for me. The belt is comfortable to wear, and doesn't bounce around while I'm running.

I ran the Disneyland half marathon last month and opted not to carry my own water. There were ample water/power-aid stations along the course so hydration wasn't a problem even though the weather was unusually hot and humid for SoCal. I carried energy beans in the pocket of my shorts and that was it.

Hello!!

Thanks for the input.

Just in case anyone is interested...

I received a confirmation email 3 days after submitting my times. The 1:00 10K finish equated to a 1/2 finish time of 2:19. And the 1:17 10k finish time changed my 1/2 anticipated finish time to 2:54.

I have a couple of hydration/fuel belts, but the one I use most often is my Nathan Speed 2 Hydration Belt. There is also a model that comes with 4 bottles, but I find that 2 bottles work well for me. The belt is comfortable to wear, and doesn't bounce around while I'm running.

I ran the Disneyland half marathon last month and opted not to carry my own water. There were ample water/power-aid stations along the course so hydration wasn't a problem even though the weather was unusually hot and humid for SoCal. I carried energy beans in the pocket of my shorts and that was it.

Thanks for the recommendation on the hydration belt. I had only ever seen versions with 4 or more bottles, and there is no way I want to weigh myself down with 4 full mini bottles of water. Thanks also for the heads up on the water station evaluation, just because you never know how the water stations balance out to the race course until you hear it from people who have been there, done that. :)

kim3339~ you already have me listed as doing the 5&10K.....but now add me to the 1/2....just registered after all.
I'm nervous about the 1/2....but more nervous about getting up so early 3 days in a row!!
Big bummer is I don't have time to get a certified 10k proof of time....so it looks like I will start in the last corral...with the balloon ladies :(

Thanks for the recommendation on the hydration belt. I had only ever seen versions with 4 or more bottles, and there is no way I want to weigh myself down with 4 full mini bottles of water. Thanks also for the heads up on the water station evaluation, just because you never know how the water stations balance out to the race course until you hear it from people who have been there, done that. :)

One thing to keep in mind about hydration belts/packs or just using aid station depends on how fast or slow you are. If you are a faster runner you can get away without carrying water, but if you are slower it could be a problem. It's up to you, but my suggestion would be to get one of the smaller hydration packs that you carry on your back. I have used both belts and packs and I think the packs are much less annoying to carry. I don't like the water bottles bouncing when I run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter