Time Cover - What do you think?

I'm not a cows milk fan either. People tend to make this huge deal about it and treat it like this essential thing and kids can't grow without it. I don't get it. It is only ONE way to get calcium/Vit D but there are plenty of other non dairy sources that you can consume. For us milk is there if you want it..I like it in cereal and the boys like some now and then. They however get calcium from other non dairy sources as well. My Ped actually emphasized to us that milk is just one way to get those nutrients and that there are plenty of other ways and that milk is a non essential if your child doesn't want/like it.

And correct me if I am wrong, but she is 26 and she has an adopted 5 year old. Exactly why the need to start so young? Some things just seem off they this lady.

Weird..I don't see it myself nor do I get what mannerisms or way of sitting make someone seem a certain age at all. I just feel like you and the other poster are projecting things onto this kid.

Both of my boys acted similar to this child, they were slow in the language development. I was told later by several physicians, that in boys this usually indicates a higher aptitude for math, well yes it does. My oldest just blows us away, and my DH was an engineering major. It is crazy. Anyway, my DD didn't act like that, at that age she was acting for like a 5 year old. Kids are all different.

And correct me if I am wrong, but she is 26 and she has an adopted 5 year old. Exactly why the need to start so young? Some things just seem off they this lady.

I was married at 18 (and have been married for 18 years now) and realistically at 37 could have a kid graduating from high school (my DH and I are the ages my parents were when I got married) so I guess I don't see a big deal in regards to her age or the age of the adopted child (meaning she was 21 when they adopted) or consider that particular aspect of her life indicating something is off.

Both of my boys acted similar to this child, they were slow in the language development. I was told later by several physicians, that in boys this usually indicates a higher aptitude for math, well yes it does. My oldest just blows us away, and my DH was an engineering major. It is crazy. Anyway, my DD didn't act like that, at that age she was acting for like a 5 year old. Kids are all different.

I agree with that bold. I guess that is why I am struggling to understand what the others are seeing that makes the kid seem immature or young or how a mannerism/way of sitting indicates age. Kids are different, mature at different ways, react and behave differently in different situations..etc. I just feel like people are trying to project issues on the kid because of the extended breastfeeding (as the first post in this regard makes mention of the breastfeeding in relation to how immature they think the kid is) as in extended breastfeeding = immature child.

Oh God, at that age my DD was reading on a first grade level that is disturbing to think that a child could achieve that and still be breast fed. I agree with others it is done for the mom because she can't let go, or if the mom says it is done for comfort, then they aren't doing that child any favors. I find comfort in oreos and choc candy, but I know that this shouldn't be used for comfort.

I don't really see a connection between reading and nursing. You can do both or neither at that age!

The whole 'done for the mom' spiel may be what YOU think, but it is not the case with most. There are many different ways to do the parenting thing. Long term nursing is not easy to explain to someone who has not nursed or who places no value on nursing. You get it or you don't.

The mother and child were interviewed on the Today show this morning....

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/ja...er-time-magazine-breastfeeding-180300346.html

The little boy acted like a young two year old (maybe younger). So, does he act this way because he has been treated like a baby? Or does the mother continue to breastfeed him because his behavior is so immature? Or his development completely unrelated to breastfeeding?

I also was surprised by how soft spoken the mother is in the interview. She looks so defiant on the Time cover. Maybe she is a good actress?

I think I was more grossed out by the extreme eating at around mark 42.

Denise in MI

I was married at 18 (and have been married for 18 years now) and realistically at 37 could have a kid graduating from high school (my DH and I are the ages my parents were when I got married) so I guess I don't see a big deal in regards to her age or the age of the adopted child (meaning she was 21 when they adopted) or consider that particular aspect of her life indicating something is off.

I was married at 20 myself. I know a lot of people have babies early, it just seems strange to me that she would adopt at 21. I would think most people would wait longer to adopt. I think it is great that people do, I just figured with all the people out there waiting to adopt, that a 21 year old would't be their first choice as adoptive parents, other that had been trying longer and were more mature would be, I could be wrong. I don't know a thing about adoption. But I can't imagine doing it at 21. And with the process of adoption, just how young was she when she started?

Also, she is 26 the boy is 5. so he was an infant. I though babies were very hard to get. People wait years. Maybe it was a special circumstance, maybe she knew the mom and the mom couldn't take care of the baby. It just makes me wonder at 21 adopting and the need to breast feed for so long, is she just someone obsessed with motherhood and babies.

I don't really see a connection between reading and nursing. You can do both or neither at that age!

The whole 'done for the mom' spiel may be what YOU think, but it is not the case with most. There are many different ways to do the parenting thing. Long term nursing is not easy to explain to someone who has not nursed or who places no value on nursing. You get it or you don't.

If you are old enough to read, you are old enough to give up; the ****. There is NO value on long term nursing.

Some folks think, babies come out potty trained and with a full set of teeth. Our society no longer allows...children to be children. They have to be adults for such a long time. Why not let them be kids, just for a while? :confused3

Some folks think, babies come out potty trained and with a full set of teeth. Our society no longer allows...children to be children. They have to be adults for such a long time. Why not let them be kids, just for a while? :confused3

What does a 4 year old sucking on it's mom breast have to do with being a kid? Kids don't do that, babies do.

I agree with that bold. I guess that is why I am struggling to understand what the others are seeing that makes the kid seem immature or young or how a mannerism/way of sitting indicates age. Kids are different, mature at different ways, react and behave differently in different situations..etc. I just feel like people are trying to project issues on the kid because of the extended breastfeeding (as the first post in this regard makes mention of the breastfeeding in relation to how immature they think the kid is) as in extended breastfeeding = immature child.

Actually, I said (1) does breastfeeding a preschooler = immature preschooler OR (2) has she extended the breastfeeding because he is immature, OR (3) neither of the two. Maybe mhsjax is onto something, and his behavior is an indicator of a higher aptitude in math. Just because a child is immature in one area doesn't mean they aren't ahead in many other areas...and it doesn't mean he won't catch up socially/verbally/whatever.

One of the reasons, I like AP is that it is known to foster a more independent and confident child. However, there is a point (with anything) where you can take it too far and have the opposite effect.

To YOU. Others have a different opinion. :)

WEll I do choose to listen to the professionals that say there is no nutritional value after a certain age. If the value is closeness there are other ways. I mean really I would much rather take a xanax to calm down and feel happy, but I realize that I need to have better coping skills.

To YOU. Others have a different opinion. :)

What is the value of long term nursing?

There is no actual need for an older child to nurse and only get that need filled by nursing. Please tell me what it is.

I'll give an example the body NEEDS oxygen, you get oxygen by breathing, therefore breathing/oxygen is a need that must be filled.

If you plan on saying comfort that can be filled by many other means than breastfeeding.

The worst part is the mom is still producing milk .. . I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard enough time during PMS, never mind lactating 24/7 . ..

IMHO the pic is odd, I mean c'mon if you wanna breast feed your child, I'm sure you aren't gonna say "ok honey, pull up a chair and grab on" it just looks wrong . . .

Imagine what bs this kid is going to have to endure when this pic resurfaces when he's a teen . . .:rolleyes2

The issue with the cover is it doesn't represent truly breastfeeding at any age - unless its normal for a child to pull up a chair (or the mother) so the kid could climb up and semi-hang off the breast.

WEll I do choose to listen to the professionals that say there is no nutritional value after a certain age. If the value is closeness there are other ways. I mean really I would much rather take a xanax to calm down and feel happy, but I realize that I need to have better coping skills.

Since you brought it up and you sound so certain, show me who says there is no nutritional value after a certain age.

Do you know what the recommendation is for nursing according to the major health agencies?

What is the value of long term nursing?

There is no actual need for an older child to nurse and only get that need filled by nursing. Please tell me what it is.

I'll give an example the body NEEDS oxygen, you get oxygen by breathing, therefore breathing/oxygen is a need that must be filled.

If you plan on saying comfort that can be filled by many other means than breastfeeding.

There is no value to you, so I could go on and on and you would still not get it. It's more than the sum of it's parts. Some things are not tangible or quantifiable. It was a good thing for me and my dd. It just was.

There is no value to you, so I could go on and on and you would still not get it. It's more than the sum of it's parts. Some things are not tangible or quantifiable. It was a good thing for me and my dd. It just was.

So you can't answer it. If there was a true need for it then it would be easy to answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter