Tim burton to direct live action dumbo

That's pretty hard to imagine. Think of the incredible plasticity of everything in the original cartoon ... Dumbo's face, the circus train, everything. No matter how well done the CG, can you ever reproduce that feeling of raucous, exuberant movement and emotions?

That's pretty hard to imagine. Think of the incredible plasticity of everything in the original cartoon ... Dumbo's face, the circus train, everything. No matter how well done the CG, can you ever reproduce that feeling of raucous, exuberant movement and emotions?
While I agree, I don't think they could've gotten anyone better than Burton. I would also expect Johnny depp to make some appearance because he's always working with burton.

I love Disney, but Dumbo is a terrible movie (except for the one tearjerker scene with his mom). Of course maybe that means they have no where to go but up, but I am not interested. Also, Tim Burton hasn't made anything worth seeing in a long while. So, no thanks.

Wonder if we will see a Helena Bonham Carter appearance as she and Tim have recently split? And the fact that she's already in the live-action Cinderella...

I love Disney, but Dumbo is a terrible movie (except for the one tearjerker scene with his mom). Of course maybe that means they have no where to go but up, but I am not interested. Also, Tim Burton hasn't made anything worth seeing in a long while. So, no thanks.
Pink elephant scene......

Let's just see what Tim Burton does with the pink elephant/hullucination scene like they said above. :rotfl2: I've only seen Dumbo once when I was maybe 5. I'm open to them revampimg it up!

Is this the way Disney is planning for the next few years? Are they adapting their original animated movies into Luce action films?

I love Dumbo, except for the blatantly racist song when the circus tents are being set up in the rain. If Tim Burton can make a version that excludes the racially insensitive parts of it so I can show it to my son without fast-forwarding, I will be thrilled.

Is this the way Disney is planning for the next few years? Are they adapting their original animated movies into Luce action films?

Yep. Live action Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book, and now Dumbo planned. And the sequel to Depp's Alice in Wonderland as well.

I love Dumbo, except for the blatantly racist song when the circus tents are being set up in the rain. If Tim Burton can make a version that excludes the racially insensitive parts of it so I can show it to my son without fast-forwarding, I will be thrilled.

I was thinking the same thing until you said "setting up the tents in the rain", because I was thinking like above of the

Black crows.

It seems there are a lot of dodgy scenes in the original, but if he can expand the story a little bit, I bet he could make an enjoyable version...

Dumbo is my favorite Disney movie. As for "racism" in Dumbo you can find much worse in other Disney movies. Seriously, google "racism in Disney movies" and you'll see how almost every movie is racist. Why does Tiana have to make gumbo instead of, say, pizza? Why is Scar a darker shade of lion than Mufasa and Simba? The beginning of Aladdin is blatantly racist. The Siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp are completely racist and then they used the same anti-asian racism in Aristocats. Little Mermaid is racist during "under the sea". Jungle Book shows black people as monkeys. Peter Pan has the most racist song I've ever heard. What makes the red man red? yeah, nothing racist about that!

I guess if you don't count Asians or Native Americans as a "race" then you'd excuse a lot of these portrayals. But as someone with Native American ancestry who adopted a Korean girl I find these anti-Native American and anti-Asian portrayals just as insulting as a black person would consider the crows in Dumbo.

I don't want to turn this into a racism thread, I just want to point out that if you're going to criticize my beloved Dumbo for being racist then you'll have to criticize like 80% of Disney movies. Maybe Fox and the Hound is OK.

Last edited:
Dumbo is my favorite Disney movie. As for "racism" in Dumbo you can find much worse in other Disney movies. Seriously, google "racism in Disney movies" and you'll see how almost every movie is racist. Why does Tiana have to make gumbo instead of, say, pizza? Why is Scar a darker shade of lion than Mufasa and Simba? The beginning of Aladdin is blatantly racist. The Siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp are completely racist and then they used the same anti-asian racism in Aristocats. Little Mermaid is racist during "under the sea". Jungle Book shows black people as monkeys. Peter Pan has the most racist song I've ever heard. What makes the red man red? yeah, nothing racist about that!

I guess if you don't count Asians or Native Americans as a "race" then you'd excuse a lot of these portrayals. But as someone with Native American ancestry who adopted a Korean girl I find these anti-Native American and anti-Asian portrayals just as insulting as a black person would consider the crows in Dumbo.

I don't want to turn this into a racism thread, I just want to point out that if you're going to criticize my beloved Dumbo for being racist then you'll have to criticize like 80% of Disney movies. Maybe Fox and the Hound is OK.

Yeah, no one said it was intentional or that it was limited to just Dumbo. It was a reflection of cultural attitudes at the times these movies were produced. I mean really no one could argue that Walt set out to offend people, and these movies never would have become classics if they were seen as offensive. I just meant that when your source material is 65 minutes long and contains 25 (?) minutes of songs/characters that probably couldn't be used in the movie today, that Burton has some work set out for him. I'm sure it will be enjoyable and fun.

As a fan of Dumbo I'd like them to expand a little at the beginning about Ms Jumbo wanting a baby. They could add more of Dumbo and Mommy play time. They could throw in a few more problems for Timothy and Dumbo to overcome. They can expand the Baby Mine part and make sure there's not a dry eye in the house.

But I can agree that the current Dumbo maybe only has 40 minutes of usable screen time once you cut out the Pink Elephants and change the crows.

And the crows may be racist, but at least they're heroes in the movie. They're not bad characters. They help Dumbo overcome his handicap and become the world's only flying elephant.

Yeah they could definitely explore more about who Mr. Jumbo is, what life in the circus was like as he grew, and the like.

But I think the pink elephant scene is a part of why Burton said yes. I'm sure his mind has been spinning ever since he was approached with this project about this scene. This seems right up his alley.

And I agree the crows were pretty accepting and loving as far as strangers go. I even think they might be able to be in this version, it's just that they need to be changed a little to make them acceptable today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter