**Tie Dye Mickey ears shirts directions**NEW NEW PICS LAST PAGE**

Planning to do Christmas shirts for this year's trip - anyone have pics of Christmas colors? Was going to just do green and red but would love so see other combos!

I am in the process of tye dyeing ... thanks for all the great instructions.. :goodvibes

quick question.. how do i get this dye off my fingers!! ???:confused:

How long do you guys let them sit after dying them before rinsing them out? Also, does anyone on here make and sell these? I did my first batch of shirts yesterday and if they don't turn out good I think I would rather just order and pay someone rather than start over???
Thanks guys

*Deep breath*

We just finished 11 shirts, 2 hats, 3 backpacks and 3 small bags. They are all in the basement in plastic bags right now until about 8 tonight. :woohoo:

A couple of things that we did that I think really helped us (DD 9 and DD 8 helped out!) :grouphug:

I spent most of the Summer here and there sewing the Mickey Heads with dental floss, that I had traced with a disappearing ink using a template someone posted somewhere, printed in 2 different sizes. :surfweb:

We worked outside on a fold up banquet table.:)

Finally threw everything in the washer today with a ton of Washing Soda (Same as Soda Ash, MUCH less expensive, even using 2-3 times the recommended amount as per instructions found online). I threw the damp shirts into a clean plastic basket under the table while we worked. :artist:

I banded off the Mickey Heads after making sure they were all pulled tight, wrapping 3 rubber bands around each one. THEN I cut a slit in the bottom of a zip lock sandwich bag and turned them inside out, pulling the mickey head through. I then tied another 3-5 rubber bands onto this to secure the bag and reinforce the Mickey head at the same time. THEN (With the mickey head still white) I swirled and banded the rest of the shirt, placing that bundle in a zip lock bag to keep damp while we worked, sealing around the Mickey Head. When we dyed the Mickey head, all we needed to do was pull the zip lock back up (Making it right side out in the process) and sealed it, then moved on to dying the rest of the shirt, placing the whole thing back into the gallon sized zip lock bag.:earsboy:

My 9YO filled the dye bottles using a small watering can (It maybe holds 2 cups of water, and had a long narrow spout.)

We did NOT use the gloves that came with the kit, instead we used the "Gloves in a tub" that seemed a bit more sturdy as well as easier to work in.

We dyed over disposable paint trays, keeping paper towels and water on hand. Even dry dye came off with just water and a wipe. My Banquet table is still white! :woohoo:

We were able to complete everything (Including having to re-sew one mickey head when the floss broke while I was pulling it tight) in about 3 hours start to finish, Using only about 5 open bottles of dye at a time, remaking them as needed. I think we used 9 small bottles total. :teacher:

I will know how they turned out later tonight/ tomorrow. :thumbsup2

I have a bleach pen for any touchups that may be needed before final wash. :laundy:

I will post pix when they are done!!!

so i dyed mine on saturday morning.....i had purchased a tulip kit that had black and orange....i honestly didn't read the instructions first (but when i did, i realized there wasn't much to them....) so i didn't soak it in anything (didn't come with soda ash) and didn't prewash or anything....
i traced and basted the mickey heads and swirled it all around and rubber banded it up and stuff....
so saturday morning i went outside with a tarp (i'm sure i was going to make a mess)
and started with the mickey heads, i did them in black, then i went with dyeing the slices....i probably should have soaked it first b/c the dye was just pooling....
i think i had it in 8 slices, and i did about 4 in black (2 next to each other, then skipped then 2 more) and ran out of dye....and then i was just frustrated....i didn't have enough to get into the folds or anything and i was getting dye all over the place so then i squirted the orange wherever i saw white and ran out pretty quickly and didn't get all in the folds...then i just used the shirt to mop up whatever was laying on the tarp thing....
so i let it sit for more than 24 hours just because we were out all day yesterday, and because i was just sure it was going to be an EPIC FAIL!
so after rinsing it out this morning and washing it, i was pleasantly surprised

DSC_1168.jpg

DSC_1167.jpg

there's a lot more white than i originally wanted, but hey, i'm not a big fan of orange really....and i think the mickey heads came out pretty discernible...but i think i'm going to trace it with a tide pen.....
over all, i'm pretty happy!
i didn't fill the bottles up all the way, and i'd say the colors are pretty bright....
i think the back came out much better but ohwell.... mnsshp here i come!

This seems like as good a thread as any. I know I've seen it before, but can't find it now. Where is a good place to buy t-shirts to use for ink jet iron-ons or tie dyes? I'm looking for colors as well as white, and sizes ranging from 2t/24m up to 2X or 3X.

Thanks!!

I finally completed my Halloween Party Shirts! I didn't use a bleach pen or do any touch-ups yet...I'm not sure that I will. The last picture is a little girls shirt. The Mickey head is a little lop-sided...but no biggie!

Here's how they look:

P1130396.jpg

P1130398.jpg

P1130399.jpg

P1130397.jpg

I finally completed my Halloween Party Shirts! I didn't use a bleach pen or do any touch-ups yet...I'm not sure that I will. The last picture is a little girls shirt. The Mickey head is a little lop-sided...but no biggie!

Here's how they look:

P1130396.jpg

P1130398.jpg

P1130399.jpg

P1130397.jpg

Those are really cute shirts. I know you will have a great time. I am going to tackle my shirts in about a week (not Halloween though). :rolleyes1

This seems like as good a thread as any. I know I've seen it before, but can't find it now. Where is a good place to buy t-shirts to use for ink jet iron-ons or tie dyes? I'm looking for colors as well as white, and sizes ranging from 2t/24m up to 2X or 3X.

Thanks!!

AC Moore, Michael's, and Joann's all sell t-shirts. I think they are on sale this week at ACM, 4/$10?

I want to try this out. My DW said that I'm on my own on this. Since she doesn't sew much she can't answer my questions.

1) Do you use a sewing machine to outline the traced micky head?

1a) If you do, do you have to and/or is it possible to do this by hand?

2) Do you pull the thread/floss completely out once you're done or what?

If these have been answered in previous posts I apologize, just don't have the time to read the thread from start to finish. Any other suggestions would be appreciated too. TIA!!!

Rbenn - All the instructions are in the 1st post on this thread with pictures! Pixiedust32 posted them and they were a perfect guide for my kids and me when we made our shirts. Have fun :)

I want to try this out. My DW said that I'm on my own on this. Since she doesn't sew much she can't answer my questions.

1) Do you use a sewing machine to outline the traced micky head?

1a) If you do, do you have to and/or is it possible to do this by hand?

2) Do you pull the thread/floss completely out once you're done or what?

If these have been answered in previous posts I apologize, just don't have the time to read the thread from start to finish. Any other suggestions would be appreciated too. TIA!!!

Answers:

1)- No, you must do it by hand, is basting, very simple basting.

2)- Once your shirts are ready to be wash, you remove the rubber bands under the faucet so water would be washing the excess of dye, and they you remove the floss/thread completely.

You're welcome! :)

Here's a few from my second attempt (I did some last year at this time).....
Can't wait to wear them in 17 days!:woohoo:

q019.jpg

q017.jpg

q021.jpg

q022.jpg

q024.jpg

q025.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter