**Tie Dye Mickey ears shirts directions**NEW NEW PICS LAST PAGE**

Love these and I want one!! Hope you can buy all the stuff in the UK, they probably call it a different name over here :confused3

My Mickey heads are blobs - one looks like a heart and one looks like a Mickey with one oversized ear. I basted the shape, pulled it tight, and put a rubber band around it, but the dye still seeped enough to make it look funny. Any suggestions?

perhaps take soem fabric paint and trace around them to outline it??? i did this one time withteh reverse tyedye, my trefoil looked like a well i dont know what! lol

My Mickey heads are blobs - one looks like a heart and one looks like a Mickey with one oversized ear. I basted the shape, pulled it tight, and put a rubber band around it, but the dye still seeped enough to make it look funny. Any suggestions?

i was looking at the tye dye kits at michaels todya...they even have tye dye in camo! i was thinking for dh!

Thanks PixieDust32!

I never thought I'd be able to do the tie dye shirts but we tie dyed with students last week and I thought I'd try it. My shirt came out much better than I was anticipating. The kids even recognized it was Mickey when I wore the shirt!!! My shirt was not quite as colorful as the pictures you posted, but still look nice. There were more white areas on my shirt, especially around the Mickey head - I was afraid if I put the colors too close they would mix and you would not see Mickey. Thanks for the detailed instructions.

I can't wait to try the reverse tie dye shirt!

Hi! Love the shirts!!
When you baste the mickey head do you sew through to the back too or just the front?

I basted just the front. When I undid the rubber bands, I wanted my Mickey head a little more defined so I just painted directly onto the shirt where I wanted more color. So if you end up with a blob, you can always define it later.

Here's a tip: I don't bother with tye-die kits. You can use those little 2 oz bottles of acrylic paint instead (like Apple Barrel, etc.) I pick them up when they go on sale and get zillions of colors. If your Walmart has a fabric section they have them there too. I only used two colors for my shirt and I pretty much used a whole bottle of each color.

Mix each bottle with at least a half bottle of water. If it's too thick, add more water. I've gone as high as half paint, half water. I use sponge brushes and dixie cups but you can put the paint into squirt bottles if you have them. Just make sure your shirt is thoroughly wet before you start (get it wet before you bunch it up). The wet fabric will "draw" the paint into the fibers. Make sure you dab deep down into the folds - don't just paint on top of the shirt ball. This method produces the same results even on 50/50 fabric so you don't need to look for 100% cotton. Also, there's no need for the soda ash soak.

Hang to dry then put through the washer as usual. The crusty paint will wash out and leave you with a very colorful shirt. Certain colors will fade just a bit but they are still vibrant.

If you do it right, you can pick up a shirt for $2-3 (usually at craft stores) and paints for about 88 cents each. So for 5 bucks you can get a pretty cool shirt. (Or sell them for $15 and make a nice profit!)

Ok, after learning how to do it, I gave it a try. This is reverse Tie Dye in the previous posts. I printed a Mickey Head out on printer paper... then I used some packing tape, looped underneath, to keep the Mickey in place. I put 4 rubber bands, one in each corner of the shirt, tie dye style. Spritz with 1/2 water and 1/2 bleach.

This shirt was black, and I could watch it turn a rusty color before my eyes. I DID do it outside, and I moved it in the sun for about 10 seconds. I already had the washing machine ready and with water and detergent added. Removed the bands and washed.

This was soooooooooooo super simple. My daughter said "Ohhh Mommy, I can wear this to AK, it looks like a tiger!! (Of course, it is too big for her, so I told her she could sleep in it!)

(This was an old shirt that I had paint splattered on it... so if you see a white spot in the Mickey Head... that is paint, not from the bleaching effect.)

4787_1163090725621_1478441610_414022_8013719_n.jpg

4787_1163090245609_1478441610_414021_5284128_n.jpg

I love this idea. I do have a really stupid question, you said you removed the bands, did you also remove the mickey head you had taped to the shirt? I know stupid question but I am not very crafty, but I really think I can do this one.

Another question, did you put anything in between the front/back of the shirt so that the bleach does not bleed through?

not the orginal poster of the pics, but i've alwasy put cardboard between the layers to stop the bleeding from the bleach. i did foget to mention it tho when i posted the directions. oops! lol

I love this idea. I do have a really stupid question, you said you removed the bands, did you also remove the mickey head you had taped to the shirt? I know stupid question but I am not very crafty, but I really think I can do this one.

Another question, did you put anything in between the front/back of the shirt so that the bleach does not bleed through?

not the orginal poster of the pics, but i've alwasy put cardboard between the layers to stop the bleeding from the bleach. i did foget to mention it tho when i posted the directions. oops! lol

Thank you so much, I just finished reading all the way through and found my answer. I really think I can do this.

I just might give this a try, especially since someone posted that you can get camo colors, this may be the only way to get my teen son to wear one on our Sept trip.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures with the directions.

I just might give this a try, especially since someone posted that you can get camo colors, this may be the only way to get my teen son to wear one on our Sept trip.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures with the directions.

i just saw the camo kits at michaels here last week. i was really considering it since dh is in the army. but then i thought nah he wears it all day long all week long! lol

Great thread with wonderful ideas. Can't wait to try these out! Thanks to all. :)

love these!! i wish i had seen them earlier - my kids and i made old-fashioned tie dye shirts for our trip. this is a great idea for next time!

i just saw the camo kits at michaels here last week. i was really considering it since dh is in the army. but then i thought nah he wears it all day long all week long! lol

Teen son is in a phase where he will not wear bright colored anything, so thinking the camo would be perfect for him. Also thinking the girls would enjoy that for AK day. Hubby was also in AF for years and still has some of his uniform stuff, son will grab that and wear every once in awhile.

Thanks for the information, told hubby and I think I will have to make him one too for the next time he goes to WDW. He is not going on this trip, says he is looking forward to some alone time, silly hubby!

Teen son is in a phase where he will not wear bright colored anything, so thinking the camo would be perfect for him. Also thinking the girls would enjoy that for AK day. Hubby was also in AF for years and still has some of his uniform stuff, son will grab that and wear every once in awhile.

Thanks for the information, told hubby and I think I will have to make him one too for the next time he goes to WDW. He is not going on this trip, says he is looking forward to some alone time, silly hubby!

understandable! lol my kids are only wee and grab everything of daddys to wear around the house! army boots, beret, his coats, camp blankets lol oh check walmart out too, i was there the other day and they had the regular tye dye kits- but i cant remember if they had the camo ones. but even so it's much cheaper from walmart!
it'd be perfect for ak! dd has a dino outfit and ds got a pooh explorer outfit last week.

Hi everybody! Glad you guys like the shirts, they look so neat at the parks and CM always make good comments about them, besided I can ID my family in the crowds :lmao:

Sorry for the delay responding some e-mails. I can't mentioned anything about me making them here because I don't want to get in trouble, so just e-mail me if you have any questions about anything.

Here is me (hope not to scare anyone :rotfl: ) wearing a shirt I made for our trip last month.

l_9ffa4a74ae334354adc4878a4b8186d8.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter