• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tie Dye Instructions for Spiral Mickey Shirt

Julie,

Im jealous of how defined your Mickeys are! My Mickeys came out well but they have the "spikes" all the way around....I think I need tighter rubber bands.

Getting ready to make these on Monday and have just a few questions:

How big should the stitches be and should the be close together?

Do you need to double the floss or is single fine?

I made some 2 years ago and they came out great! I just can't remember how I did the stitches.

We just made new ones at disney's Hilton head island resort. Traced the mickey head with chalk, then rubber banded them. Rolled up the shirts and rubber banded them.
Dipped them in a water bucket, then used tulips squirt bottle tie dye to apply the color.
We let sit for about 36 hours, then washed them in hot water.

labdogs42 said:
We just made tie dye shirts at my son's school an they came out awesome
1 We just stored the shirts on a piece of cardboard after we dyed them. We did six color rainbow spirals and they stayed beautiful and crisp with this method. I'll never bag my tie dyes again!

When I did the tie dye at dhhir, they wrapped the shirts in plastic wrap. Then rolled it like a sausage and wrapped it with more plastic wrap.

Just finished making 26 shirts and 3 skirts for a family reunion next week at Disneyland. We had to make so many because some of the family purchased 50/50 shirts. I knew they wouldn't turn out well so I tried to get 100% cotton shirts that would fit them (they live far away) but I still died the 50/50 so that if they don't fit they at least have a shirt. I just have to spray the girl shirts in glitter and I'll take pictures and post.

I really like your defined mickeys...thats my biggest issue. I can't get that defined.

They turned out FANTASTIC! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Julie,

Im jealous of how defined your Mickeys are! My Mickeys came out well but they have the "spikes" all the way around....I think I need tighter rubber bands.

Julieanddanny, those turned out well. I have a question about your bleached shirts. How did you do that? Thanks.

Thanks! I used doubled wax floss and pulled it tight as i could. Then many rubber bands VERY tight.
The bleached ones were sooo easy. i made a mickey stencil out of a plastic report cover and then laid it on the shirt and sprayed 50/50 bleach and water around it. It set for a minute or less then dunked in a bucket of clean water. I was surpised how great they came out.

Here's our second set of shirts!
266144_10150883115466650_678928683_o.jpg

the way i got well defined mickey heads was to make sure you pull your thread or dental floss REALLY tight. and make sure you rubber band it well. I used atleast 3 bands on each of mine. I make these all the time including hearts for my kids who LOVE tye dye.

I do go really tight....but it just seems to work well on tees for me for some reason.

Does anyone know if I can use both Jacquard and Dharma dye on one shirt? I have two of the Jacquard Tie Dye kits but would also like black for the Mickey heads. I thought about buying that individually from Dharma.

Also, has anyone tie dyed shirt with the multi color swirl and then the black tiger looking stripes? The directions I found online said to dye the back of teh shirt with the black, and the front in the normal fashion. I just can't help but think the back of the shirt would be really black.

Any advice? I would certainly appreciate it :flower3:

I know you posted this awhile ago but i just saw a video as to why you put the dye on the back. You dye the whole shirt the normal way you would and then dye the back the same way then you go over the back with the black as the color before soaks into most of the places and when you add the black dye it goes into the white spaces. saw a video of the guy doing it and it works out great.

I know this is not a character related but just in case you guys want to try. I made this for our workout classes, we do yoga, zumba and spinning so I made a couple for my team... I made pants too.

533775_329617113762028_160002624056812_934446_261654380_n.jpg

wanted to know what colors you used to make these? i love the colors

DisneyRunner2009 said:
I've been away, so I apologize for the late response. Yes, I did it the same way. I just used an outline of Stitch instead.

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try. One year I tie dyed shirts and then used fabric paint to paint stitch on, but yours
look nicer.

]This weekend I attemped making my mickey tye dye shirts. I used a kit from Tulip and I know I have read that it isnt the best but it is what I was willing to spend.

Here is how I did my shirts:

I washed shirts and dried them (shirts were 100% cotton)

Sewed the floss around Mcikey head and then wrapped them up in rubber bands

Soaked them in warm water and soda ash for about 1 hour

Added dye and then wrapped them in saran wrap for a little over 24 hours

Then one by one I rinsed them in warm water and hung them to dry over night

This morning I washed them with a tiny bit of detergent and cold water

I think they turned out ok but I wished I would have made mickeys head a darker color. I am also not happy with the way the red turned out. I am thinking I am going to try and dye some again. I feel like I didn't get enough dye on the shirts. I thought I was putting too much but there is a lot of white on the shirts.

- Can someone direct me how to make the shirts more colorful? I tried the sprial wrapping and it worked great on the little shirt for the my son but the bigger shirts just didn't turn out the way I wanted. Please give any suggestions or advice. I want these shirts to be vibrant and stand out in pictures.

IMG_1406.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1405.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1404.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1403.jpg
[/IMG]

Maybe don't doo the spiral next time but do the long way.
here is a viedo. Instead of doing a hear, you are doing the mickey head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoppTRhEJYQ&feature=related

So do the mickey head and the do the rest like the video says after his heart instructions.

I also make each of my rubber bands really tightly on each section. You can really just play around and do it how ever you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter