Tie Dye Instructions for Spiral Mickey Shirt

If I want to do a black Mickey head with orange and white tie dyed shirts, when I dye each section, is there certain sections I should put the orange dye in to make it look the best?

I followed the directions very carefully but it did not turn out as distinct as the examples, just a vaguely mickey shaped blob, so I outlined with a bleach pen.

I followed the directions very carefully but it did not turn out as distinct as the examples, just a vaguely mickey shaped blob, so I outlined with a bleach pen.

That's what happened to me also. I thought I was pulling the thread so tight, but I had to outline with a bleach pen.

That's what happened to me also. I thought I was pulling the thread so tight, but I had to outline with a bleach pen.
After some failed shirts, I found some things that wirked better: covering the floss areas with bands and using a good 2 inches of bands from the mickey head down. When swirling, try to keep the band area tucked inside the swirl, while keeping the mickey head out.

Just a friendly bump because we just finished dyeing about 30 items including 5 Mickey head shirts for our trip next summer! Can't wait to see how they turn out!

Ok, so we've been tie dyeing for years. Making the kids a couple shirts for each season + a few for ourselves. Our Mickeys did not come out perfectly. We did a total of 5. 2 have perfect Mickey heads. The other 3 need some help. It looks like we didn't get enough dye into any of the shirts, but we're OK with that because they all look the same.

Mine is the first one from the right. I think it just didn't quite get enough purple dye. DH's is the next with a double Mickey head. He was trying something different (sewed 2 Mickeys and rubber banded between them). I think it turned out pretty good! After the fact we also found that he must have switched shirts at the store last minute b/c this is only 40% cotton so the colors are not brilliant. The next one is my daughters and I think it turned out perfect. Not a lot of dye other than the Mickey but that's fine. The middle of the kids is my older sons and it looks like the floss didn't scrunch up all the way around his ears. I'm thinking of trying to replicate the striped lines like my DDs onto his shirt with bleach. The last one I think it perfect. DH thinks the head is crooked but I don't see that.

Any ideas for how best to fix these? We may be making my son and husband another, but I think mine can be fixed with a little glitter that I wanted to add anyway!

IMG_3200.JPG IMG_3201.JPG

Then we also made each of us a two color stripe or diagonal tie dye that we plan to paint a silhouette onto also for our WDW trip. After we'd already started DH got the idea that we should have tie dyed shirts to look like different countries flags from the WS for us to wear in Epcot. We'd already done my daughters pink & purple though. Would have been a fun idea!

IMG_3203.JPG IMG_3202.JPG

I have had isues applying bleach after. It always bleeds. I use a white paint pen to define the heads

We used glow in the dark fabric paint and glitter fabric paint to outline the heads. On one of them we stuck a ribbon bow into the wet paint to make it a Minnie head. They came out great and have held up very well.

Just wanted to how our shirts turned out, thank you all so much for teaching me. I made my Mickey stitches very, very close and small, I think that helped Mickey look like Mickey, lol. image.jpg

image.jpg

I crafted this previously based on multiple messages on this thread.

I am looking at the Dharma site. I can't find where it explains how much soda ash and dye I will need to purchase. I am doing three adult and one child long sleeved shirts with two colors. Thanks!

I am looking at the Dharma site. I can't find where it explains how much soda ash and dye I will need to purchase. I am doing three adult and one child long sleeved shirts with two colors. Thanks!
I bet someone at customer service at Dharma could help you with that! I would assume with only 4 tees, you'd need whatever the minimum is or you might just buy a kit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts