• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tie Dye Instructions for Spiral Mickey Shirt

So I've started this project with the Jacuard kit. The box said 10-15 shirts. It wasn't enough to do 1 small child t, 3 small adult t's, and 2 XL adult t's.

Just sent DH back to AC Moore for a 2nd kit.

The small J kit with the 3 primary colors? No way!! 10-15 please, they're crazy. Maybe 3 small adults and 1 Youth. The kits are expensive and they only make a few shirts.

A few different syles of shirts...

IMG_7530.jpg

IMG_7525.jpg

IMG_7534.jpg

IMG_7554.jpg

IMG_7553.jpg

IMG_7558.jpg

IMG_7561.jpg

IMG_7565.jpg

IMG_7540-1.jpg

I'm making some shirts like these for a Wish Family this weekend, very excited ♥ I hope they like them ♥

Okay I got my dharma Dye..
I got my PH up for

Ive tye dyed before but never with this brand..
so few questions..

Im sewing the mickey head and banding it.
Then the rest soak in the PH up,
How much water to PH and temp of water does it matter and how long?

Or do I rubberband my pattern then soak??

Whats Urea?? I didnt order it where can I get this>

One cup per gallon of water of PH up. The instructions are on the dharma site as well. Urea helps the dye cure process keeping them moist and making the colors stay brighter.

I can only find it at Dharma.

I guess I will put another order in to Dharma..
Shipping Blah.. Oh well,,,

Thanks!

Oh I know, the shipping is brutal :( order the 1 pound urea so it won't be so expensive, you would only need a tablespoon or Urea per 8oz of water. I wish they had a flat rate shipping rate.

Someone please!!! - can I use fishing line? Has anyone tried it?

I have never tried it, but I would NOT use fishing line.

You need to be able to pull it tight, then KNOT it so it stays tight. I have never had good results when trying to knot fishing line, unless it is very thin. I think it would tend to slip apart, and your bunched up mickey head would slip apart, possibly. If you were going to pull the fishing line tight, then crimp it with jewelry crimp beads, it might work, but this just seems like too much to worry about.

Dental floss works fine, and it is readily available. I've used plain, waxed, flavored, colored. It all works. I like the waxed a bit better, it seems to slip through the fibers of the shirt a little easier when bunching the mickey head, and when removing it after dyeing.

Hope this helps.

Haven't signed on for a while, but everyone's shirts look great!!!

Eileen
GoofyWalker

Hi ellen, nice to read you.

Fishing line?? Why fishing line? Dental floss or thread would be more convenient and easier to use.

Here is my first (and probably last attempt) at tie dying Mickey shirts.

5528327048_48fc8b5af5_b.jpg

The part I thought for sure would be a disaster came out great (the Mickey head), and the part I thought I was doing correct came out dreadful (the swirls).

Then DISASTER ... I was washing the shirts out in the sink and I accidentally transferred some pink dye onto DF's shirt and now he refuses to wear it. :( :( :(

I will still wear mine on our cruise, though. :thumbsup2

PixieDust32... I LOOOVE those shirts.. wanna make mine?? lol. For some reason I feel like no matter what mine won't look as fabulous! hehe

It has been a while, 3 years in fact, since my last Mickey tie dying session. Help jog my memory...do I wash the shirts before doing my Mickey stitching or are they okay without the washing?

MindyJo,

That looks great!!! I have yet to try and we leave next Friday. I have a feeling that again time will run out and I wont get it done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter