• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tie Dye Instructions for Spiral Mickey Shirt

DizneeMommy, those shirts are great!

I'll be sure to post photos of the tees once I do them. I'm still debating to try just the front or to do the front and back. I'll see how they gather up after stitching before making my final decision.

Maybe I can get to them this weekend, hopefully having the mickey drawn and stitched on all four shirts beforehand! I just got back from Staples after purchasing $5.00 worth of heavy-duty rubber bands. It doesn't sound like it takes a long time to do the dying at all.

Subscribing so that I can make these shirts for our summer Disney trip. Gotta have Mickey shirts for WDW. Thanks.

I just "sewed" all 4 mickey heads- we are going to do the dye tonight when the family all gets home!! I can't wait. I will post pictures soon.

Subscribing so I'll have the directions!

We are going in September, this will be a great project to do over summer vacation! :)

Just subscribing so I don't lose directions.:cool1:

Hey there, mom2mykids and bradyloganmom, if you want to subscribe to ANY thread, you do not have to post. Just go to the top of the thread and click thread tools, Subscribe to this thread. This help the thread not get carried away in length with posts that are just people subscribing. Just thought I'd let you know. :goodvibes

Basically, I just elongated the thread by telling you this but it will save future threads! LOL!:laughing:

Subscribing....these look like such fun. I'm going tomorrow and get supplies to do some this weekend! Thanks for the directions!
And, I love seeing how everyones turned out!:thumbsup2

Hope this works, never displayed pics before!
Here are our shirts. It was alot of fun making but MESSY!:cool1:

resizeddyed.jpg

Finally done. Most came out well. My DS's first one had too much white so the next day we re-used the soda ash but that shirt must have been old because the colors weren't vibrant. Shirt # 3 was a charm. These were fairly messy but a lot of fun!! Definately worth it!!
baseballtshifts116.jpg

baseballtshifts118.jpg

Finally done. Most came out well. My DS's first one had too much white so the next day we re-used the soda ash but that shirt must have been old because the colors weren't vibrant. Shirt # 3 was a charm. These were fairly messy but a lot of fun!! Definately worth it!!
baseballtshifts116.jpg

baseballtshifts118.jpg

Wow. U used a lot of colors. I love seeing people's shirts thanks for sharing!!!

I think from seeing the last few sets of shirts I may have to make a new one tha thas lime green as my Mickey head.

The great thing is we only used 3 colors. Blue, red and yellow. The colors come from mixing them on the shirts- my DS& and DD4 didn't want to "stay within the lines". The pink one was the one that the soda ash didn't work so the red made pink- DS is giving that one to sister for a night shirt!!

my first attempt. i think I left it in too long, it started to bleed around Mickey's heads. However, a little bleach pen later, and we're all thrilled. My shirt is in girls' hands, DH's is behind them. His had less color b/c we ran out of dye (even though the pacakges said we should have gotten about 14 projects??)

Anyway, thanks for showing us how. we love them and have already gotten compliments. We can't wait to wear them at the world next month!:goodvibes
test015.jpg
[/IMG]

my first attempt. i think I left it in too long, it started to bleed around Mickey's heads. However, a little bleach pen later, and we're all thrilled. My shirt is in girls' hands, DH's is behind them. His had less color b/c we ran out of dye (even though the pacakges said we should have gotten about 14 projects??)

Anyway, thanks for showing us how. we love them and have already gotten compliments. We can't wait to wear them at the world next month!:goodvibes
test015.jpg
[/IMG]

They look great and your girls are adorable!!!!

Here's a question for all of you who have dyed shirts:

So many people have commented on how they have run low or out of dye, even though they're only doing 4 shirts (when the box says 14 projects!).

Do you think that it would be a good idea to get a back-up kit just in case I run out of dye?

We had two kits because we had to get that many to get the colors everyone wanted. I will say that we did run out of over half our dye so I am glad we had the extra. I think it is mainly because to get the really vibrant colors you have to completely saturate the t's. That and my DH is a very big guy and his shirt ate up a LOT of dye. It couldn't hurt to get two kits.

I have a couple of questions...
I bought the Tulip kit with 5 colors, but there is no soda ash in it and it does not mention it in the instructions. Do I need to purchase it?
Also, the kit recomends 100% cotton, but I usually buy the Hobby Lobby shirts which are 50/50. Will this make any difference?
Thank you for any help you can give. I am a little nervous about this, but feel much better with the picture instructions!

If you use 50/50 shirts the colors will come out pastels... I will use those when I want lighter colors. Soda ash is always a good idea.. I also have dyed without using the ash and the colors were fine.. (on 100% cotton) but for best results the ash is recommended :goodvibes
Good luck and most importantly, Have Fun! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter