Ticket Bridging question

Miss Monorail 1971

Please Stand Clear of the Door
I have read the ticket sticky and done a search and I am even more confused.

I have a 6 day hopper with expiration that needs to be upgraded to a 7 day hopper.

Bought it at UT. So if I am correct I should use it at least 1 day then go to Guest Relations at a park and ask to bridge the ticket.

How much more do I expect to pay. Will it be the same price as if I just bought a 1 day ticket or will it be the discounted per day price that it would break down to if I bought a 7 day.

I have read that it would only cost me $10 more. Or have I misunderstood? :confused3

Thanks for the help.

Yes, you only pay the difference between a 6 and 7 day ticket. You can do this at guest service or at a ticket booth at any one of the parks.

It should be the discounted price. We always get the five day and end up staying six or seven. And always just add the extra days.

The price will actually be $10.65, because it's $10 plus tax. Also, I wouldn't ask them to bridge the ticket. I would just ask how much would it cost to add a day, and if the CM says anything other than $10.65, just say thanks and try another location.

The price will actually be $10.65, because it's $10 plus tax. Also, I wouldn't ask them to bridge the ticket. I would just ask how much would it cost to add a day, and if the CM says anything other than $10.65, just say thanks and try another location.

Ditto.
Ditto.
Ditto.

I'm looking to bridge from a five day hopper to a dvc annual pass. Hopper is worth 387.66. Annual pass is 516.53. So I only pay 128.87? I'm getting these passes using aeroplan loyalty points. Is my thinking correct?

I'm looking to bridge from a five day hopper to a dvc annual pass.

Hopper is worth 387.66. Annual pass is 516.53.

1. So I only pay 128.87?

I'm getting these passes using aeroplan loyalty points.

2. Is my thinking correct?

1. Yes. It's generally a good idea to USE the 5-day ticket at least one time to enter a Theme Park BEFORE you do the upgrade.

Sales tax of 6.5% will come into play on the difference price, if you have not already figured it in.

2. Yup.

1. Yes. It's generally a good idea to USE the 5-day ticket at least one time to enter a Theme Park BEFORE you do the upgrade.

Sales tax of 6.5% will come into play on the difference price, if you have not already figured it in.

2. Yup.

I won't have to pay anything for the five day hopper. Would a four day hopper yield a better savings? Thanks for the top on using the pass once.

Thanks for asking this! I am still a bit confused.

I had purchased five day park tickets from UT. Then I added two days when I booked onsite. So we want to add hoppers to our trip and want to add for all seven days if possible. On the phone they said I could add for the two days and then add for the five, but that seemed like a waste of money. Are you guys saying I might be able to get for all seven when I'm there (at the discounted amount)? Also, why would it be better to use one day first?

Thanks for asking this! I am still a bit confused.

I had purchased five day park tickets from UT. Then I added two days when I booked onsite. So we want to add hoppers to our trip and want to add for all seven days if possible. On the phone they said I could add for the two days and then add for the five, but that seemed like a waste of money. Are you guys saying I might be able to get for all seven when I'm there (at the discounted amount)? Also, why would it be better to use one day first?
Did you buy the 2-day tickets because of a dining package? For whatever reason you purchased the tickets, Disney charged you their gate price for these tickets, $200.22 each. Your UT tickets were not a Disney purchase, that's why Disney couldn't access them to upgrade them at this point.

Your UT 5-day tickets were priced at a discount. Just looking at the UT website, they're selling for $309.99. Disney's price for this same ticket is $323.76.

If you added together your 2-day Disney ticket, $200.22, and your 5-day UT ticket, $309.99, you spent $510.21 for the equivalent of a 7-day base ticket. You would have to add PH separately to each of the two tickets, $63.90 x 2 = $127.80. Your ticket investment for 7 park days -- a 5-day PH plus a 2-day PH, would be $638.01. That's way too much money.

Here's how to proceed, to get your Disney ticket expense under control. First, if your Disney 2-day tickets are required because of a dining plan package, there's nothing you can do about that. It's a necessary package requirement. When you check-in, have the front desk personnel remove the 2-day tickets from the MagicBand and put the tickets on separate plastic ticket media. Put the tickets in an envelope, date and label them, and take them home with you. They'll be good to bring back to Disney on your next trip to add days to. They won't expire. Or you can give/sell them to somebody else legally. (If you keep the Disney tickets on your MagicBands, there is a possibility you could use them accidentally, and you want to avoid doing that.)

Now you only have your UT 5-day base tickets. You want to upgrade them to 7-day PHs. Disney will give your tickets Disney's current gate price credit if you use the tickets first to enter one of the theme parks. It's called price-bridging. After entering a theme park, go to any Guest Relations (inside and outside the park front gate) or any Ticket Booth at a park front gate, and add two park days, $21.30, and Park Hopping, $63.90. Total upgrade charge will be $85.20. Add $85.20 plus your UT cost, $309.99 for a total investment for you of $395.19 per ticket. Compare that price to the first figure above, $638.01. You saved yourself $242.82 per ticket, plus you have gained 2-day unused tickets with a value of $200.22 each, to use for another trip. Be sure to do the upgrade before your ticket is completely used up, at which time an upgrade won't be allowed.

Just a note about your discounted UT tickets. As said, when you actually use the ticket to enter a theme park, Disney price-bridges it to current gate price value. If you DO NOT use the ticket first when upgrading, you will only get the wholesale cost that Disney sold the ticket to UT. That's because Disney doesn't know what price UT sold the ticket to you; they only know the wholesale price. For you, that could mean you'd maybe get $275 credit (a guess) and you'd owe the difference between Disney's gate price and that amount, in addition to the upgrade cost, per ticket.

There's a few CMs who can't/won't price-bridge when it's called for. If you encounter one of these disappointing people, and you can't get the upgrade price above, politely ask for your tickets back and seek out another Disney CM who has been properly trained.

Did you buy the 2-day tickets because of a dining package? For whatever reason you purchased the tickets, Disney charged you their gate price for these tickets, $200.22 each. Your UT tickets were not a Disney purchase, that's why Disney couldn't access them to upgrade them at this point.

Your UT 5-day tickets were priced at a discount. Just looking at the UT website, they're selling for $309.99. Disney's price for this same ticket is $323.76.

If you added together your 2-day Disney ticket, $200.22, and your 5-day UT ticket, $309.99, you spent $510.21 for the equivalent of a 7-day base ticket. You would have to add PH separately to each of the two tickets, $63.90 x 2 = $127.80. Your ticket investment for 7 park days -- a 5-day PH plus a 2-day PH, would be $638.01. That's way too much money.

Here's how to proceed, to get your Disney ticket expense under control. First, if your Disney 2-day tickets are required because of a dining plan package, there's nothing you can do about that. It's a necessary package requirement. When you check-in, have the front desk personnel remove the 2-day tickets from the MagicBand and put the tickets on separate plastic ticket media. Put the tickets in an envelope, date and label them, and take them home with you. They'll be good to bring back to Disney on your next trip to add days to. They won't expire. Or you can give/sell them to somebody else legally. (If you keep the Disney tickets on your MagicBands, there is a possibility you could use them accidentally, and you want to avoid doing that.)

Now you only have your UT 5-day base tickets. You want to upgrade them to 7-day PHs. Disney will give your tickets Disney's current gate price credit if you use the tickets first to enter one of the theme parks. It's called price-bridging. After entering a theme park, go to any Guest Relations (inside and outside the park front gate) or any Ticket Booth at a park front gate, and add two park days, $21.30, and Park Hopping, $63.90. Total upgrade charge will be $85.20. Add $85.20 plus your UT cost, $309.99 for a total investment for you of $395.19 per ticket. Compare that price to the first figure above, $638.01. You saved yourself $242.82 per ticket, plus you have gained 2-day unused tickets with a value of $200.22 each, to use for another trip. Be sure to do the upgrade before your ticket is completely used up, at which time an upgrade won't be allowed.

Just a note about your discounted UT tickets. As said, when you actually use the ticket to enter a theme park, Disney price-bridges it to current gate price value. If you DO NOT use the ticket first when upgrading, you will only get the wholesale cost that Disney sold the ticket to UT. That's because Disney doesn't know what price UT sold the ticket to you; they only know the wholesale price. For you, that could mean you'd maybe get $275 credit (a guess) and you'd owe the difference between Disney's gate price and that amount, in addition to the upgrade cost, per ticket.

There's a few CMs who can't/won't price-bridge when it's called for. If you encounter one of these disappointing people, and you can't get the upgrade price above, politely ask for your tickets back and seek out another Disney CM who has been properly trained.

POOHsie,

This is one of the best answers that I have ever read. I too have a question...
I am purchasing a 6 day non expiration ticket with PH & WP&M form UT. I plan to enter the park and head to Guest Relations to upgrade to Premium Annual passes. Will I be credited the Disney gate costs of the tickets? Also, do I ask the cast member to bridge my ticket, or do I simply tell them that I want to upgrade to an annual pass? I hope that this makes sense. Thanks in advance!

POOHsie,

This is one of the best answers that I have ever read. I too have a question...
I am purchasing a 6 day non expiration ticket with PH & WP&M form UT. I plan to enter the park and head to Guest Relations to upgrade to Premium Annual passes. Will I be credited the Disney gate costs of the tickets? Also, do I ask the cast member to bridge my ticket, or do I simply tell them that I want to upgrade to an annual pass? I hope that this makes sense. Thanks in advance!
Disney current gate price for a 6-day ticket with PH, WPF&M, and no-expire is $649.65. Premium AP current gate price is $803.01. Upgrade price is $153.36. All prices include 6.5% tax.

Most experts say to approach the CM to say you want to know what the price will be to upgrade from your present ticket to your proposed ticket. Let them give you an answer. If it's off by quite a bit, you could ask if they price-bridged your ticket. They will either re-do their calculations, or give you blather about "we don't do that any more, blah blah."

If the re-done calculations are OK, do the upgrade. If it's the second answer, politely ask for your ticket back and find another CM. It's pretty hopeless to argue and it could cause you stress. You have until all your park days are used up to do your upgrade. After the park days are gone, you cannot upgrade. Because you get full credit for your original ticket, your AP will be dated to the first day you used your original ticket. Look at the new AP's expiration date bc sometimes the wrong date is entered.

For upgrading partially used tickets:

Do not use the word "bridge."

Figure out for yourself what the approximate cost should be (difference between the ticket booth price of what you have and the ticket booth price of what you want). Write it down.

If you are upgrading several partially used tickets of different kinds including child versus adult, write down the prices for each and also the grand total.

Don't ask if the ticket agent did such and such a thing (calculation). Instead, if the agent quotes you a higher price then you ask how he came up with his price and then say (without the how or the arithmetic) that the price should be (your number).

Only if the agent asks how you came up with your price, then you answer (correctly), "the ticket booth price of what I want minus the ticket booth price of what I have."

Don't forget to add in the 6.5% sales tax.

POOHsie and Seashorecm.... Thank you!!! these 2 explanations together are wonderful......

Hello! Please allow me to ask a slightly different ticket bridging ?:
I bought a 3D PH ticket at WDW last yea, before price increase. Will disney bridge this ticket if I use it first before adding days, or does this only work for tix not purchased at WDW?
Disney tickets bought directly from a ticket booth, online, mail order, or will call, will not be price-bridged.

There are some Disney ticket sources where tickets are available indirectly, such as Disney resorts (WDTC), and The Disney Store (TDS). Other indirect sources for Disney tickets are third party resellers such as UCT, MapleLeaf and AAA. Tickets from all these indirect sources are qualified for price-bridging.

If your ticket was purchased between the June 2, 2013 price increase and the Feb 23, 2014 price increase, it is worth (with tax) $341.87. Current 3-day PH (with tax) costs $344.00 (bc the PH option for a 3-day ticket is currently priced at only $49). So you haven't lost much over time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter