Thoughts on new premier pass

We used to have AP's at both resorts so this would have been great for us at the time. We used to make 2 trips to WDW, but since VGC opened, we dropped one WDW trip, and the WDW AP to use the points for 1-2 night stays several times a year at DLR. Crunching the numbers made us rethink our DLR AP's also, and we downgraded to Deluxe Passes, as we no longer needed parking and never go on blackout days anyway.
We'll crunch the numbers again, but think we will save money by not getting the new pass.

In fairness, if you eliminate the DVC discount on WDW passes from the discussion, this is actually a pretty good deal.

A Walt Disney World Premium Annual Pass is currently $659 per adult. :scared1:

Sounds like the Premier pass is around $720 with tax, so you're getting the Disneyland access for only about $60. Not too bad.

But much harder to justify for DVC members who are sacrificing that $125 discount. DVCers are only paying $526 for the PAP so we are looking at a $200 premium for the Disneyland access.

People who already buy APs for both coasts will be tickled--DVC members or not. Aside from those folks, without knowing how many even buy WDW PAPs right now, it's hard to guess how many additional sales this thing will generate.

The idea of this all-encompassing, dual-coast park with no exclusions or blackout dates is very cool. But Disney also made it very expensive.

If they really wanted a device that would serve as something of a loss leader to encourage WDW guests to visit DL and vice-versa, I think they would have been much better off with a cheaper hybrid of the standard WDW AP and Disneyland's Deluxe AP (with blackout dates.)

I'm not really sure who their audience is for this pass. $700 is a lot of dough for one person to fork-over for a year-long tour of the Disney parks. I think your run-of-the-mill guest on a budget who wants to visit both DL and WDW will continue to stagger trips and buy more economical park admission.

Excellent post!!
I was super excited when I saw this announced, as I have been wishing for it forever!!
As a DVC owner on both coasts, who frequently visits both annually (sometimes a couple times each with business travel) I was the PRIME audience for this pass!! It is just TOO expensive!!!

In reading over the posts here, it seems that with a discount, many would at least consider this option, but without it, no way. I have to agree! DVC owners are PRIME candidates for this pass, and for Disney to specifically not offer us discounts makes no sense at all!

Wake up Disney Exec's!! If DVC owners can't afford and don't buy these passes, what customer base will?:sad2:

Excellent post!!
I was super excited when I saw this announced, as I have been wishing for it forever!!
As a DVC owner on both coasts, who frequently visits both annually (sometimes a couple times each with business travel) I was the PRIME audience for this pass!! It is just TOO expensive!!!

In reading over the posts here, it seems that with a discount, many would at least consider this option, but without it, no way. I have to agree! DVC owners are PRIME candidates for this pass, and for Disney to specifically not offer us discounts makes no sense at all!

Wake up Disney Exec's!! If DVC owners can't afford and don't buy these passes, what customer base will?:sad2:
I agree. I used to be the prime audience for this pass, but not now.
We don't need free parking at any resort when staying at the villas for our style of vacationing. We park for free at VGC. We never rent a car in WDW. Our membership gives us the same great discounts as premium passholders in CA. Golf and waterparks parks are something we don't always use.
I'd be more interested in a Deluxe version of the new pass, with less options I'd never use anyway, and a lower price.
The big difference for us, is the number of trips to WDW. If we still did 2 trips a year, this would be a huge deal for us.

I guess I am just blind, stupid, or just not getting it when I see people post it is too much. By my math if you buy a new PAP to WDW with the DVC discount with tax ( I will round up to make life easier) it is $500. A new DL PAP is 419 with DVC discount. So that makes a price of roughly $920. Looks like a savings of $220. Not bad if you ask me. So I am also getting confused when I see people say their should be a DVC discount. Now with renewals if I were to use the DVC discount it is still about a savings of $175 if I were to renew my Premeir Pass. So I guess I just don't see how this is a bad deal, if you will use it, and since I go to DL almost every week and to WDW for about 20 days a year, I am so thrilled for this pass.

I didn't read through everyone's comments, but $700 is too much for us to justify. We own at both BWV and VGC and could have seen this being a possibility for us. We already have a WDW AP, so we thought about doing this if the price was right. It could have given us the flexibility to visit either of our homes when it was convenient. This is too much for us to outlay. We will just plan our visits accordingly with the APs to WDW and then probably just hoppers to DLR when we go.

It did strike me as odd that they clearly stated no DVC discount would be given. While I think they have every right to price their tickets how they choose, and we are not entitled to a discount, I would think DVCers would have been a primary target for these tickets. Offering even a small discount might have encouraged people to buy one of these passes so they could visit both coasts - thus encouraging sales of other DVC properties. I do wonder how this will sell. I will stayed tuned to see . . .

I agree...I'm wondering if this might be an incentive on the webcast..get a Premium AP..I may be able to go to DL and WDW in the same year, but not multiple times, so I doubt I'd get this. I can certainly see how it would be a great deal for those who go to both properties many times in one year, but I'd think charging just a little more than the WDW AP would be a good inducer to get people to travel to both properties...after all, you can't be in both places at once :)

I guess I am just blind, stupid, or just not getting it when I see people post it is too much. By my math if you buy a new PAP to WDW with the DVC discount with tax ( I will round up to make life easier) it is $500. A new DL PAP is 419 with DVC discount. So that makes a price of roughly $920. Looks like a savings of $220. Not bad if you ask me. So I am also getting confused when I see people say their should be a DVC discount. Now with renewals if I were to use the DVC discount it is still about a savings of $175 if I were to renew my Premeir Pass. So I guess I just don't see how this is a bad deal, if you will use it, and since I go to DL almost every week and to WDW for about 20 days a year, I am so thrilled for this pass.

I think what the majority of posters are saying is that not many DVC-ers get WDW PAP. Mostly get AP. And as for DL pass, unless you live close enough to go there often not very many people go for more than 5 or 6 days. Which is a LOT cheaper to get a regular park hopper than DL PAP as well.

So the majority of DVC-ers would probably be better off with regular discounted DVC AP and get DL PH.

At least that's what I get from this thread :thumbsup2

It's great that it works well for you, I wanted it to work for me but it might not be this time around.

If this new premier pass comes with a larger merch or dining discount I might just re-think it again. Since I do shop when I go to the parks.

I think it is way too expensive. My thoughts are it should be priced similarly to a WDW Premium Annual Pass. I mean, if someone uses it for 15 park days at WDW and 15 park days at Disneyland, how is that substantialy different from a local using their discounted annual pass for 30 days at Disneyland OR Walt Disey World? Or even a local using a highly discounted seasonal pass for 30 park days during a year?

My thoughts exactly :thumbsup2

If they want to add a $50 convenience fee to the PAP for being able to use it in both places that's one thing but this... :confused3

You are absolutely correct...it's a fantastic deal for people who already buy both passes.

But big picture, the goal of the pass should be to increase sales. For every dollar Disney is "losing" to people like you who will save they need to make that up in the form of added sales on the Premier AP or ancillary purchases in the theme parks.

I just don't know how many people are out there thinking "well, I was already going to spend $650 on a Walt Disney World PAP so I might as well just spend a little more and plan a trip to Disneyland, too."

I certainly don't begrudge people who will benefit from the pass, but it's not going to influence my travel (or spending) habits a bit.

We will likely be spending about a week at both DL and WDW in a coming 12-month period, but this is still too expensive for us (i.e., it would not save us any money). Wish there was a "silver" version that didn't include the water parks, Disneyquest, etc.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something. There are all these people that say it is NOT a good deal. To me, it seems like it is a deal for us.

We have the following trips planned:

July 25-Aug 2 WDW
Oct 15-17 DL ( I know this would be about 204 for just a 3 day hopper)
Dec 8-17 WDW

and probably another trip in July 2011. I know I can expect the kids will do at least 3 DQ days during these trips and perhaps we may try a water park.

Am I missing something why we would not save money? Or, and I think with this we might be tempted to do some other Dl trip in the spring just for the heck of it and the weekends would no longer be blocked out?

Is my math wrong? We are DVC members but for my kids ( teens), it would be a new pass not a renewal.

I think what the majority of posters are saying is that not many DVC-ers get WDW PAP. Mostly get AP. And as for DL pass, unless you live close enough to go there often not very many people go for more than 5 or 6 days. Which is a LOT cheaper to get a regular park hopper than DL PAP as well.

So the majority of DVC-ers would probably be better off with regular discounted DVC AP and get DL PH.

At least that's what I get from this thread :thumbsup2

It's great that it works well for you, I wanted it to work for me but it might not be this time around.

If this new premier pass comes with a larger merch or dining discount I might just re-think it again. Since I do shop when I go to the parks.
I think you're correct.

I'd still add that a DL PH isn't necessarily required if you already have a WDW parkhopper multiday pass. It CAN be used at DL for admission. You have to take it to the turnstyles and hand it to the CM there. The pass gets taken away by another CM supervisor and then brought back to you to let you in to the park. We found that the per day price on our 10 day WDW parkhoppers was a better deal for DL admission than any of the DL tickets for the 3 days we were at DL last summer.

We will likely be spending about a week at both DL and WDW in a coming 12-month period, but this is still too expensive for us (i.e., it would not save us any money). Wish there was a "silver" version that didn't include the water parks, Disneyquest, etc.

Exactly! Many of us never use the water parks, Disneyquest, golf courses, etc. This new pass would have me pay for these things that I wouldn't use anyway. A "silver" version might be more useful to a lot of us.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something. There are all these people that say it is NOT a good deal. To me, it seems like it is a deal for us.

We have the following trips planned:

July 25-Aug 2 WDW
Oct 15-17 DL ( I know this would be about 204 for just a 3 day hopper)
Dec 8-17 WDW

and probably another trip in July 2011. I know I can expect the kids will do at least 3 DQ days during these trips and perhaps we may try a water park.

Am I missing something why we would not save money? Or, and I think with this we might be tempted to do some other Dl trip in the spring just for the heck of it and the weekends would no longer be blocked out?

Is my math wrong? We are DVC members but for my kids ( teens), it would be a new pass not a renewal.

The DVC-discounted PAP is $526 per adult and $464 per child. A Disneyland 3-day hopper is currently $184 per adult and $154 per child.

If you buy the separate tickets your total cost would be $710 per adult and $618 per child. The Premier pass is around $722 for both adults AND children.

On that basis alone you're about break-even for the adults in your group and spending more for the children. The only way this makes any sense for you is if you actually get a second Disneyland trip out of it. Otherwise you're just throwing away money--particularly on the kids' tickets.

The other thing you could consider is buying a separate DL Annual Pass when you visit in October, which gives you a longer period of admission to DL.

Aside from that, I think many are dismissing the offer because we're used to getting the more economical WDW Annual Pass rather than the Premium AP. The DVC-discounted AP is only $414 per adult. Add that to some Disneyland park hoppers (as needed) and you're still well under the cost of this Premier pass.

I see very limited circumstances where this is a good deal. If you live close enough to one theme park to do annual passes, will you really visit the other enough to warrant an annual pass for both? It seems likely that an annual pass at one and regular admission to the other would be more cost effective.

If you are an individual making multiple trips to both locations that's awesome for you (and please send me some of th extra cash :worship:).

Seriously though, it seems targeted to a niche market where cost is less important anyway? If you're able to make multiple vacations to both coasts in a 12 month period, are you on a penny tight budget?

The DVC-discounted PAP is $526 per adult and $464 per child. A Disneyland 3-day hopper is currently $184 per adult and $154 per child.

If you buy the separate tickets your total cost would be $710 per adult and $618 per child. The Premier pass is around $722 for both adults AND children.

On that basis alone you're about break-even for the adults in your group and spending more for the children. The only way this makes any sense for you is if you actually get a second Disneyland trip out of it. Otherwise you're just throwing away money--particularly on the kids' tickets.

The poster you're responding to has teenaged children, though - they would pay the adult price anyway.

The other thing you could consider is buying a separate DL Annual Pass when you visit in October, which gives you a longer period of admission to DL.

Aside from that, I think many are dismissing the offer because we're used to getting the more economical WDW Annual Pass rather than the Premium AP. The DVC-discounted AP is only $414 per adult. Add that to some Disneyland park hoppers (as needed) and you're still well under the cost of this Premier pass.

One additional point to this is that a Premium pass at DLR gets you a 15% discount on dining. And 10% off at all merchandise locations (not just World of Disney) I am assuming this pass would qualify for that as well.

I think you're correct.

I'd still add that a DL PH isn't necessarily required if you already have a WDW parkhopper multiday pass. It CAN be used at DL for admission. You have to take it to the turnstyles and hand it to the CM there. The pass gets taken away by another CM supervisor and then brought back to you to let you in to the park. We found that the per day price on our 10 day WDW parkhoppers was a better deal for DL admission than any of the DL tickets for the 3 days we were at DL last summer.

I have heard this before but found it not to work for us. I was told (several years ago) that WDW passes can be used @ DL, but was told differently by Disney so I never tried it.

Can you elaborate on how this works?

I agree this is a good deal for anyone that buys a WDW premium AP and then decides to also visit Disneyland that same year since a premium AP at WDW costs $600 normally.

However, for those of us that live in California, it isn't as great of a deal. Our premium AP is $439 (or $419 with DVC discount) and there is no tax on it. So, in order to save money with this pass, we'd also have to spend more than $300 per person on WDW tickets in order to come out ahead with the pass.

Given a 7-day parkhopper is under $300, unless you make more than one trip from California to WDW each year, AND time your AP premier pass purchase to work so it is valid for all your visits in a 12 month period, the pass isn't really worth the money to those of us on the West Coast.

A much better option for us in California is to maybe buy a Disneyland deluxe or premium AP, and then buy a 10 day never expiring park hopper with water parks and more for $500 that we can then use for several years in a row for water park and theme park admission at WDW.

Before anyone complains that the Disneyland AP is cheaper than a WDW AP, just remember that we only have two theme parks and WDW has four. ;)

Robert

My gripe is that I don't need to pay for parking at DLR. I simply will never drive there. Further more, if someone does drive there, only one person in the family needs the parking benefit.

I also don't need the every day option at DLR. I could live with some black out days on my DLR tix.

As far as WDW... We used to get PAPs when the Adventurers Club was open, but since it closed we switched to regular APs.

Regular APs plus no parking needed at DLR may make this ticket a bust.

MG

You can, allegedly, use an unused Walt Disney World ticket at Disneyland. But not an annual pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter