Thoughts on airfare $$ falling?

krisb74

Earning My Ears
Hi, we've received the offer in the mail for the free dining/kids free in June and would really like to take advantage of it! However, we live in IA and our flights aren't that plentiful, we can fly out of DSM or MSP, preferably Des Moines, but MSP is usually cheaper..anyway, right now, the cheapest we've found would be @ almost 1000 for 4 of us, this just seems soo high! I know it doesn't matter and won't change anything, but we went in 2007 and we were all able to go for @700, seats, etc everything included. Any opinions on the thoughts of the prices falling or specials being put out there? We've always gone the first couple weeks of Sept and I'm not too familiar with the June pricings. Thanks!

First of all, living in Des Moines, the first thing I do is check MSP and Kansas City, as prices out of DSM are typically high. Actually, I consider anything under $300 per person to be decent enough. We'll be going down the 2nd week of June...originally booked a direct flight on Air Tran out of MSP for $1200 for the four of us. Non-direct flights out of DSM were running $400+ per person. However, AirTran changed their flight scheudle to the point where it really didn't work for us. They were good about providing a refund, and we ended up booking a direct flight with Allegiant out of Cedar Rapids for $900 for the four of us (total, with baggage fees). Allegiant out of DSM was around $1700.

So, long story short, check out lots of different options...I usually wouldn't consider CR, but may work out well this time. Another thing I looked into was flying into Tampa/Clearwater rather than Orlando (MCO). Like with Sanford (another Orlando airport--SFB), you'll have to rent a car, but we always do anyway. The money we saved in airfare covers the rental cost, and we get the benefit of having a car while there.

There might be a chance for prices to drop a bit. What airlines are you looking at? It usually runs us around $1000 for 3 from Pittsburgh around the time of our travel!

If you are seriously thinking about this, then I suggest you call Dining and see what kind of reservations you can get if you are looking at TS dining. I know that I am having terrible trouble getting anything for the week we are planning to go in June...........everything that we are intersested in is booked solid!

Thanks for the feedback, we live @2hrs from DM and the same from MSP, so Kansas City or Omaha really doesn't work well, the drive home is way too long, we flew out of KC once and didn't like the ride...I didn't think to check out Cedar Rapids, it's about the same distance too, I'll have to look at that. Yea, AirTran is running pretty high once you add in all the bags, seats, etc. I wish SWA would come up with some good prices out of MSP, even with a stopover in chicago, I'd go with it. I'll have to start checking the other places out in FL also.
Thanks for the info on the dining, I didn't even think of that!

If it isn't too far, check out prices from Moline, IL (Quad Citites). We paid $163 round trip for our AirTran flight in September. Even by paying to select our seats and the $30 round trip fee to check a bag, it will be right at $200.

4 Tickets for $1,000 ($250 each) is a great price IMO. In the past 6 months I would have said with almost 100% certaintity that prices would continue to go up, however, airlines still have not matched capacity with the falling demand, and depending on how this Pig Flu goes and overreaction of general public it could drain even more capacity, so for right now, I think its a crapshoot.

JetBlue just dropped their July fares NY-FL in the last 24 hours by as much as 30%. We went ahead and booked $99 one way and $89 back N/S - happy to get it and happy to be going back to the work after 3 years away! Yea!

$250 isn't a good fare, it's a great fare. Airlines are reducing service to MCO because passengers aren't willing to book profitable fares. You may get lucky and find a fare sale but long term the number of flight to MCO will be reduced so airlines won't have to fill as many seats at money losing fares.

Well, we changed our dates a couple of days and found Allegiant with some great deals out of DSM! 4 RT came to $611 with luggage!!! I'm so happy!!! Also, called them with a question on the seating and she told me not to bother to pay the extra to book the seats (unless we specifically wanted an aisle seat, etc) b/c it is Allegiant's policy to not split up the parent and child, so, we 4 may not all be near each other, but we'll be 2 and 2 for sure and saved us the extra $$!
Just over 3 weeks until we go!! Can't wait!!:banana:

You were able to book a great fare. Allegiant flies into Sanford, some of your savings will be spent on ground transportation, assuming you were planning on using free DME. Some of your savings may wind up going to pay to check bags.

Flights to WDW are filled with famlies. I don't know how old your kids are but don't be upset if parents with younger kids are accomodated. People who pay for assigned seats aren't likely to switch ino order to accomodate people who don't pay for assigned seats. Are your kids under 5? It's very likely the FA will make sure a child gets to sit with a parent. You really need to pay for assigned seats if it's important for you to sit next to older children.

Yes, we were planning on renting a car for the week anyway, and the price included the baggage fees. The kids are 8 and 4, the CSR said that as long as there is a parent with an underage child, they won't split them up..with the older child, even having him directly in front of me would be ok, the 4 year old will defintely have to be next to one of us. Thanks!

Yes, we were planning on renting a car for the week anyway, and the price included the baggage fees. The kids are 8 and 4, the CSR said that as long as there is a parent with an underage child, they won't split them up..with the older child, even having him directly in front of me would be ok, the 4 year old will defintely have to be next to one of us. Thanks!

Bad news. The CSR LIED! When you get to the airport you will discover that the folks working the flight are not going to be as "nice" Basically, the folks who paid get first dibs and then the rest of you. So IF there are no seats together :mad:

If I was flying with children and wanted them NEAR me I would pay for seats.

In this day and age folks who did pay are a lot less likely to feel sorry for parents who assumed otherwise.

Past posters on here have posted that what you were told has not turned out be the fact.

If you read thier website this is what they say about seating

In the past, all seat assignments were made by the airport on the day of departure. Recently, the option was made possible to arrange seat assignments in advance to anyone who wanted to purchase them. Those passengers that do not wish to pay for seat assignments will still have their seats assigned by the airport ticket agents on the day of flight. The airport ticket agents will, as they have in the past, try their best to keep families together. However, the best way to ensure that passengers who wish to sit together will be able to sit together is to pre-purchase a seat assignment. Allegiant Air does not overbook its flights; therefore every passenger is guaranteed a seat. Pre-purchase seat assignments are available from $11 per passenger, per segment.

(I added the bold)

Basically you and your family could wind up with four boarding passes ALL over the plane! Basically there is nothing "definite" about there policy except that they don't overbook and you will have a seats SOMEPLACE!

Well that's just wonderful news...i guess my next question, if anyone knows, am I able to call/choose seats online once I've booked already? I'm not going to take the chance of my kids sitting next to some 'oddball'.

My guess is the GA will work with you so your 4 year old will sit next to one parent, but there will be other famlies with the same request. You need to get to the gate area very early if your family wants to sit together and you don't want to pay for assigned seats. Once the seats are assigned it's going to be difficult to convince passengers who paid for assigned seats to switch in order to accommodate people who didn't pay. I'd pay just to avoid having to get to the gate area more then an hour before my flight.

Carol is right, the CSR is giving you the answer you want to hear. The GA has some seats available to assign but once only single seats are left there isn't much they can do. I suspect you'll have a problem finding volunteers to move for an 8 year old.

I have a co-worker who as flown Allegiant out of DSM (to Las Vegas) multiple times. He claims that very few people pay for the assigned seat, making it highly likely that families will be seated together. And that in the unlikely event that Allegiant doesn't put you together, that other people would be accomodating.

Having said that...when I booked my flight on Allegiant out of Cedar Rapids, I did spring the extra money for seat assignments (children are 7 and 5). Apparently I don't trust my co-worker!

Thanks for the info..I called the airline again and told them what was up and how I wanted to go ahead and pay for seats, she then put me on hold to go and talk to her 'supervisor', came back and told me that if you look online, the first 10 and last 8 or 5 (can't remember) rows are not on there, the airline doesn't open those up until the day of the flight so we should have no problem being seated near each other. So, we're going to try getting to the airport as early as we can without losing our sanity for waiting and get checked in!

Thanks for the info..I called the airline again and told them what was up and how I wanted to go ahead and pay for seats, she then put me on hold to go and talk to her 'supervisor', came back and told me that if you look online, the first 10 and last 8 or 5 (can't remember) rows are not on there, the airline doesn't open those up until the day of the flight so we should have no problem being seated near each other. So, we're going to try getting to the airport as early as we can without losing our sanity for waiting and get checked in!

So just to clarify, you're willing to pay now, but there are no pay seats available currently, is that right? Of course the best option would be to just pay, but if you can't, getting to the airport really early (as you mentioned) is important. People who reserved early and paid for a specific seat feel (rightly so) that they're secured their seat, period.
Hopefully the extra rows are available, just as the agent said.

And about guaranteeing connecting rooms-I'm sorry CSR was happy to be untruthful. The fact is, maybe you'll be connecting, but there's an equal chance you and your hubby will be split up.

I hope things work out well for you. Trying to work out these details can be trying, can't it? Best of luck!! pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

I have a co-worker who as flown Allegiant out of DSM (to Las Vegas) multiple times. He claims that very few people pay for the assigned seat, making it highly likely that families will be seated together. And that in the unlikely event that Allegiant doesn't put you together, that other people would be accomodating.

Having said that...when I booked my flight on Allegiant out of Cedar Rapids, I did spring the extra money for seat assignments (children are 7 and 5). Apparently I don't trust my co-worker!

I don't think you're untrusting with your co-worker. :laughing:
I think you're wise to take charge of the things you can control. Often the reality in life is that we make our own luck:thumbsup2
After all, airline travel isn't exactly a picnic these days. :headache:

Vegas vs Orlando.. Hmmm.

Families vs adults

Different demographics, different spending patterns!

It's a proven fact that "other people will NOT be accomodating" Watch your fellow citizens. See them being polite??? Not really. Air travel brings out the JERK in LOTS of Americans. Watched it today. Cursing like a sailor over something small and stupid! Cutting each other off in line to get "one person ahead in boarding" Chewing out the Flight Attendant because Delta doesn't serve Pepsi and on and on and on.... Seriously airports have become the "land of the rude"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter