Those who drive

We always drive. The more we visit the more we use Disney transportation. We were there last month for 10 nights and the only time we were in our van was to move from BCV to SSR after 7 nights. We didn't even bother to go to Super Target like we usually do.

This is us as well. We use our car for off site shopping or to drive to Port Canaveral to take a Disney Cruise :boat:

Our last few trips we have driven from MD. Although we complain on the drive home....we sure love having our van down there. We drive to every park except MK. We always take the bus there. We LOVE being able to run out in town for things and we even have a couple of restaurants we eat at now. We find it easy to get around on property and we personally think driving to the parks is faster than the buses.

Before we moved to FL we nearly always rented a car so that we had the flexibility to go off property to buy food and shop. We almost always used the car to get to the parks, with the exception of the MK, and to other resorts for dining.

We USUALLY fly and use DME (not paying to rent a car when there is free transportation). We drove summer before last tho for the first time and stayed at SSR. We drove off site for groceries & beer 2x (when we fly we get a grocery & beer delivery from Garden Grocer). It was August and very hot and we were in the furthest bldg from the Paddock pool so we drove a couple of times to the pool bcuz we found we got really hot walking back to the villa....completely killed the refreshing feeling of having just been in the pool. We drove to MK once and discovered it took longer to park and was a further walk to the park than just taking the bus. Last time we will do THAT. We found that it was convenient to drive to Epcot for later dinner reservations bcuz we could usually find closer parking spots and the walk wasn't so bad. We also drove to the water parks bcuz a lot of those buses are not direct and make multiple stops. We are driving again this summer and are doing a 5/5 night split between BCV and AKV Jambo. Other than grocery shopping I doubt we will drive much while at BCV (since it is so convenient to Epcot & HS). We may drive a time or two from AKV but I doubt a lot. For the most part we did not find having a car was a big advantage over using Disney transportation.

So how does this work? Is there designated restaurant parking? Is it as convenient as any other valet? Do you think there's time to catch a FP or two :)

TiW is not a separate valet service; it is part of the regular valet service at the resort. When we pick up our car, we show our dining receipt to the Cast Member so that we don't get charged for the service. Although the service is free, we still tip the CM who gives us our car.

I don't think there is any opportunity to use a FP+ if you are using your TiW to dine and get the free valet parking. Valet parking is not available at the Parks. I don't think you could eat at the Poly, Contemporary, or Grand Floridian, and then try to make a mad dash to Magic Kingdom to ride Big Thunder and scurry back to the resort to retrieve your car in less then three hours. But I guess nothing is impossible.

So we're thinking about driving this year.....for those who drive, do you use your vehicle once at WDW or the buses. Do you find that 1. You have less hurry up and wait and 2. More control of your time? Advantages vs disadvantages? If we have TiW did I read free valet? Does this mean everywhere?
Just weighing my options. We have direct service for a reasonable rate but by the time you get up early, drive to the airport, wait, fly, wait, ME it seems like we could just drive there. Oh and groceries now that we're members. :)

Since we live in WA, we fly to Orlando. But we almost always rent a car, and we almost always drive to the parks. On our very first trip to Orlando DH and my aunt had a very very negative bus experience, and it has colored our experiences since then. Especially for DH; he takes buses and trains for work, and they function VERY well. The buses and monorails don't function as well at WDW, so they annoy him tremendously.

Unless you're willing to split the family up to see which is more efficient that day at that hour for your exact plans, you'll never know if bus or transportation is better that day/hour/plans. Sometimes you walk up to a bus stop with no line and YOUR bus shows up immediately. Sometimes you walk up and buses come by, but not YOUR bus, for 10, 20, 40, minutes. You truly never know what's going to happen.

But when I drive, I know. I know where I'm parked, I know how to get from point A to point B (or if I don't I just follow the signs to the general area I'm going to, then narrow it down until I'm there), I know I'll have a parking spot, I know I'll either walk or take a tram to the front of the park (or walk/tram then monorail/boat for MK). I know I won't be sharing my vehicle with 30 other sweaty people. Anyone crying is likely to be me or my son, LOL. My rental car will be new (they generally always are) so my air conditioning or heater will work instantly.

The free valet service offered by a TiW card only applies when you use your TiW at a restaurant at the resort. You must show your dining receipt with the TiW discount applied to the bill.

So how does this work? Is there designated restaurant parking? Is it as convenient as any other valet? Do you think there's time to catch a FP or two :)

You go to the resort where your table service meal is. You tell them you're using valet. You drop the car, go have your meal. You take your receipt to the valet stand and show it to them, so they see you haven't been there too long. That zeroes out the fee. They get your car. You tip. (many tip both people who move your car)

Thanks for all the great responses. We can fly direct very inexpensive in 2 hrs and although driving 12-13 hrs sounds awful to me, my DH lives in his vehicle and prefers to have control over our time. He hates the buses! I guess we'll see. We own at AKV so being far away from MK I think we'll drive but hopefully if we get lucky enough to stay on the monorail we'll fly.

Do you only go to MK? That seems an odd way to decide how you're getting to Florida to me, unless you truly only go to MK.

We drove last year and have had a rental car in the past. We use a mix depending on where we are staying and where we are trying to get to. I prefer to drive to DTD for example.

We always have a car for WDW would hate to do it without one. We use it for everywhere except MK so much faster and more convenient and you can go direct from A to B

Thanks for all the great responses. We can fly direct very inexpensive in 2 hrs and although driving 12-13 hrs sounds awful to me, my DH lives in his vehicle and prefers to have control over our time. He hates the buses! I guess we'll see. We own at AKV so being far away from MK I think we'll drive but hopefully if we get lucky enough to stay on the monorail we'll fly.

Fly and rent a car---it's the best of both worlds. Yes, the car rental and flight cost money, but your time has value too.

We drive from Virginia. We used to fly to WDW, but after 2 disasterous flight delays with a small child, I told my dh I was never flying there again.

We love driving our Explorer to WDW. Everyone can bring whatever they want: kids can bring toys, electronics, dh can bring electronics. I pack non-perishable groceries/snacks. When we get there, I drop the family off at the pool, and make a grocery trip. Just quick/easy breakfast and dinner foods: bagels, fruit, fixings for subs and tacos, beverages etc.

We drive to Sea World, Aquatica, and off-site restaurants for a couple of dinners. We do take the busses to the MK, because the whole parking/monorail or boat takes more time than the busses.

we usually take the autotrain to Fla and drive back home to DC. We usually take the buses to/from parks, but like to drive to the water parks and also to other resorts for dinner. Also we drive at beginning of the week to get groceries. If we fly, we do not typically get a car--don't really miss it. We get basic groceries from the resort store and I pack a bunch of non-perishables, snacks, etc. in luggage. You can always get a car from WDW car care center mid-week, if you found that you needed one.

We always drive. The more we visit the more we use Disney transportation. We were there last month for 10 nights and the only time we were in our van was to move from BCV to SSR after 7 nights. We didn't even bother to go to Super Target like we usually do.

We do the same thing. I don't use my van unless we are moving to another resort.

We drive from Virginia. We used to fly to WDW, but after 2 disasterous flight delays with a small child, I told my dh I was never flying there again. We love driving our Explorer to WDW. Everyone can bring whatever they want: kids can bring toys, electronics, dh can bring electronics. I pack non-perishable groceries/snacks. When we get there, I drop the family off at the pool, and make a grocery trip. Just quick/easy breakfast and dinner foods: bagels, fruit, fixings for subs and tacos, beverages etc. We drive to Sea World, Aquatica, and off-site restaurants for a couple of dinners. We do take the busses to the MK, because the whole parking/monorail or boat takes more time than the busses.

We're in VA too :) and have a 4 and 1 yo! We drive to NY monthly which is 6 hrs so what's another 6 :) thanks for a reassuring response!

We're in VA too :) and have a 4 and 1 yo! We drive to NY monthly which is 6 hrs so what's another 6 :) thanks for a reassuring response!

You're welcome!! I'll tell you, we do stop around Savannah off 95 for the first night. My much younger brother thinks I'm crazy to spend the $$, but I always remind him what kids want to do first when they get to their destination: hop in the pool for a few hours. And I'm old enough to need a good night's sleep before supervising kids at the resort pool!

You're welcome!! I'll tell you, we do stop around Savannah off 95 for the first night. My much younger brother thinks I'm crazy to spend the $$, but I always remind him what kids want to do first when they get to their destination: hop in the pool for a few hours. And I'm old enough to need a good night's sleep before supervising kids at the resort pool!

We are taking our first trip in April as parents. Our son will be 1. We prebooked a hotel on savannah. We usually drive straight through but decided better rest this go around :)

That's our plan! Why start your WDW vacation exhausted ! Rest and recharge first !

We are taking our first trip in April as parents. Our son will be 1. We prebooked a hotel on savannah. We usually drive straight through but decided better rest this go around :)

You'll need it! Enjoy the magical experience with your little one. My DS was 7 mo and 11 months when we went last year! He had a blast but I carried him in the baby bjourn the entire time! :)

You'll need it! Enjoy the magical experience with your little one. My DS was 7 mo and 11 months when we went last year! He had a blast but I carried him in the baby bjourn the entire time! :)

Did you take him on any rides? If so which ones and how did he do? DH and I are trying to decide what we should attempt take him on and what we should rider swap. We have already decided Haunted Mansion will be rider swap.

Did you take him on any rides? If so which ones and how did he do? DH and I are trying to decide what we should attempt take him on and what we should rider swap. We have already decided Haunted Mansion will be rider swap.

You can go on so many rides!! Our kids didn't get scared of "scary" rides like HM til they were 3 or 4. WDW does a really good job with all the family rides, like Pirates, Winnie the Pooh, Small World, etc. Enjoy your little one!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter