• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Those who drive

TeeterTots

DIS Veteran
So we're thinking about driving this year.....for those who drive, do you use your vehicle once at WDW or the buses. Do you find that 1. You have less hurry up and wait and 2. More control of your time? Advantages vs disadvantages? If we have TiW did I read free valet? Does this mean everywhere?
Just weighing my options. We have direct service for a reasonable rate but by the time you get up early, drive to the airport, wait, fly, wait, ME it seems like we could just drive there. Oh and groceries now that we're members. :)

Can't answer all of your questions, but I'll share a couple of thoughts. We don't drive, but we rent a car for our WDW trips. We just feel like we can do better when we're in control of our own transportation. We work from home, so we don't have to deal with rush hour traffic like most people, so driving isn't a big hassle to us. Also, as DVC members we enjoy the freedom to go off property to buy some treats for the room, alcohol, and usually a Walgreens visit for one reason or another. :earsboy:

We drive to the parks. We feel like we have more flexibility that way. Sometimes we will take the bus to MK. If you are eating dinner at a resort and using your TIW card, you can show the receipt to the valet and it is free.

We always drive. The more we visit the more we use Disney transportation. We were there last month for 10 nights and the only time we were in our van was to move from BCV to SSR after 7 nights. We didn't even bother to go to Super Target like we usually do.

We drive to the parks. We feel like we have more flexibility that way. Sometimes we will take the bus to MK. If you are eating dinner at a resort and using your TIW card, you can show the receipt to the valet and it is free.

That's awesome. Valet must save from a lot of hassle itself. Flying is no trouble for us but flying and renting a car is a good thought too

Can't answer all of your questions, but I'll share a couple of thoughts. We don't drive, but we rent a car for our WDW trips. We just feel like we can do better when we're in control of our own transportation. We work from home, so we don't have to deal with rush hour traffic like most people, so driving isn't a big hassle to us. Also, as DVC members we enjoy the freedom to go off property to buy some treats for the room, alcohol, and usually a Walgreens visit for one reason or another. :earsboy:

That's what we do if only for a few days. That way we can do our own grocery shopping, eat a meal or two off-site. We also get a car if changing resorts instead of doing a luggage transfer and we shop for more food for the next resort.

The buses have mixed service, sometimes a 5 minute wait, sometimes 30 and the bus is full.

:earsboy: Bill

The free valet service offered by a TiW card only applies when you use your TiW at a restaurant at the resort. You must show your dining receipt with the TiW discount applied to the bill. Also, its only for good for three hours.

We always drive to WDW and there are advantages to having a car. It lets us run to the stores for groceries and odd and ends or to eat off site. We sometimes use our car to get to the Parks, except for visits to Magic Kingdom. By the time we park in the MK lot, walk or catch a tram to the TTC and then take the monorail or ferry to MK, we feel the Disney MK buses are more convenient.

for those who drive, do you use your vehicle once at WDW or the buses.
I fly, but I also nearly always rent a car. I drive almost everywhere except the "local" park---so, if I'm at BLT I will walk to/from MK, and will bus/boat there from VWL. Likewise for the Epcot resorts where I will walk/boat to EP and DS. The only other times I don't drive is if I plan on having a second BEvERage.

The free valet service offered by a TiW card only applies when you use your TiW at a restaurant at the resort. You must show your dining receipt with the TiW discount applied to the bill.

So how does this work? Is there designated restaurant parking? Is it as convenient as any other valet? Do you think there's time to catch a FP or two :)

We always drive and have a car while we are there. We typically drive to Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, to the grocery, water parks and to another resort if we have dinner reservations there. We use disney transportation for most everything else.

We have done both drive and fly. Most recently though we have driven.

If we fly, we do not rent a car unless we are spending a few nights at Vero or plan on going to Universal (not something that happens often).

When we do drive, we park our car and use Disney transportation. We will drive only for dinners at another resort, dinners outside of Disney and some shopping.

So we're thinking about driving this year.....for those who drive, do you use your vehicle once at WDW or the buses. Do you find that 1. You have less hurry up and wait and 2. More control of your time? Advantages vs disadvantages? If we have TiW did I read free valet? Does this mean everywhere?
Just weighing my options. We have direct service for a reasonable rate but by the time you get up early, drive to the airport, wait, fly, wait, ME it seems like we could just drive there. Oh and groceries now that we're members. :)

A loaded question! I love it! :cool1:

1. We drive EVERYWHERE. I couldn't begin to tell you how much more I feel in control of my life while at WDW since I stopped riding those buses some 10 years ago (when we stopped flying and sometimes renting a car). WAY more control of our time and the time SAVINGS is priceless.

2. We don't use valet. Again, it's about time. I can basically park anywhere on-property and be inside my destination is less than 5-7 minutes, with the obvious exception of MK. More importantly, when it comes to valet, I can get BACK to my truck in 5 minutes and be off and on my way somewhere else. Try that with the valets. I don't have to throw 20 bucks at'em either.

3. We go out on 192 to eat and get groceries at least a couple of times every trip. What I save on table service in the parks pays for gas for my whole trip. 'Nuf said.

I wouldn't want to be without my truck (SUV) at WDW anymore. If I couldn't have it, I'd just as soon not go. Having it changed my whole life at WDW and my whole attitude about being there. Yea. It was that dramatic.

So we're thinking about driving this year.....for those who drive, do you use your vehicle once at WDW or the buses.

We're locals and always have a car with us. We almost always use Disney Transportation between the Resort and the Theme Parks.

We're locals and always have a car with us. We almost always use Disney Transportation between the Resort and the Theme Parks.

That really is interesting. I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'd be interested in why you have come to the conclusion to use Disney transportation (it sounds like) almost exclusively on-property.

I can't wrap my arms around why anybody would want to wait 15-20 minutes for a bus. Risk the possibility of standing room only. Stopping and waiting at 2-6 stops for others to enter and exit.

It's even worse when leaving the parks because of the risk that the bus will be full and you will have to rinse/repeat.

I guess the big gripe is likely the walks in the parking lots but we never use the trams and walk everywhere. It's just part of Disney is the way we look at it. Maybe that's why we get everywhere faster. It's just part of the routine to us. We can walk from the outer fringes of the TTC parking lot in 5-7 minutes and we have a 9YO DD.

I know it's different strokes for different folks but I really don't get it. I've done it both ways and I can't imagine going back to not driving everywhere.

We used to drive from PA. Did this for a few years while we had an RV. So we stayed at the Fort and it was nice to park right at our site. Places where there are internal buses (Fort, SSR, AKV and I'm sure some others) it is nice to have your own car. Also, being able to park at some resorts is easier than others. BLT has parking right out front but it is not as convenient to park at BWV.

Some parks are easier to drive to than others. We liked to drive to Down Town Disney, water parks, AK and Epcot. But I would never bother driving to MK.

We used TIW for Valet parking. Nice perk.

Overall, it is nice to have the option of using your own car to get around Disney.

I'd be interested in why you have come to the conclusion to use Disney transportation (it sounds like) almost exclusively on-property.

Some people would rather not have to pick up their keys at all on vacation, and are willing to trade a little time and control for it. Others---you and I---prefer the opposite. It's all down to personal preference.

Thanks for all the great responses. We can fly direct very inexpensive in 2 hrs and although driving 12-13 hrs sounds awful to me, my DH lives in his vehicle and prefers to have control over our time. He hates the buses! I guess we'll see. We own at AKV so being far away from MK I think we'll drive but hopefully if we get lucky enough to stay on the monorail we'll fly.

That really is interesting. I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'd be interested in why you have come to the conclusion to use Disney transportation (it sounds like) almost exclusively on-property.

We are rarely in a rush to get anywhere. We rarely leave the resort or parks at a time when there is a large number of people waiting for the Disney Transportation.

I drive to Disney. I drive at Disney. I drive off Disney. I am a control freak just like WilsonFlyer when it comes to getting from place to place.

I have been known to drive to a park and leave and come back in to get the parking space I want. I do ride the trams and if I have to walk the full length of the parking row to get on the tram, I just exit and return to get closer.

We've eaten dinner everywhere at WDW and sometimes we want to get away, so I'll drive to Tampa for dinner, or even breakfast. We go to the parks but sometimes only for an hour or two. So busing there would triple the time sometimes.

The only time I used to consistently bus it was to MK. Now I just stay at BLT for a few nights and walk it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter