Those going next week, what's your plan for the cold?

ReturntoAus

Earning My Ears
If you're arriving at WDW at the same time as the cold front, like me, what's your plan? Are your changing your original day-to-day park touring plans plans or are you wrapping up warm and going for it?

Just curious and looking for some solidarity in my disappointment at the freezing temps! I knew it could be cold but I didn't think it'd be THAT cold.

The forecast could improve. That cold front is still a few days away.

When the parks are open it should be well above freezing. If it's sunny, it will feel warmer. You'll be walking around with thousands of people, and that should warm things up.

Dress warm, but consider once you get moving you may want to shed some layers.

Avoid water rides!

Have fun! I'd take 50 in December over 99 in August any day!

Just dress in layers...with all of the moving around you will be warmer and there are alot of places that will block the wind. There really isn't much different when it's 40 than when it's 65....just maybe an extra fleece or something.

Another vote for layers. There's still a significant variation between the forecasted low and high temps. At some point you might feel too warm if you just took a heavy winter coat.

Standard disclaimer: Watch the forecast as you get closer. These things change all the time.

We went during a cold week in Dec 2017 when it was in the 50s for a high every day and low 40s at night. Dress in layers, like others said. Bring a hat and gloves. You'll have lots of opportunities to warm up when lines go inside the buildings. Obviously, avoid the outdoor water rides like River Rapids... Splash Mountain is a gamble.

While the temp isn't ideal, if you dress for it you'll be ok.

I’m just happy the forecast changed the temperature drop from night of the 22nd to the 23rd. Praying it stays that way. Last thing we want is 30 degrees, and raining, during the Christmas Party.

Don't be afraid to use your snowmobile suit at night, or plan on lots of indoor activities. That sounds ridiculous, but there is nothing more cold than the bone chilling damp cold of Florida (I'm from WI, I know cold).
Definitely!

And add a little wind blowing across a body of water such as World Showcase Lagoon coming at you-WOWSA!!!!

The 22 degrees in 2010 felt like MINUS 22 degrees!!!!

1671472310073.png

Last edited:
Take everyone's advice, layer up. It's cold and damp and even northerners come down south and are shocked how cold 45 feels in FL vs where they're from, especially in the wind and being outside most of the day. Most winter days, it usually ends up that the day starts out brisk and by midday, you've warmed up. Pack what you need, gloves, hats, etc. It's totally different being out all day in 40s vs being in 15 degrees and walking to/from your car only. You'll be exposed all day so pack a winter jacket if you have it, hoodies, sweaters, pants, scarf, the works. Don't forget your sunscreen and shades, without the humidity to clog up the atmosphere, the sun can still be pretty intense in the winter even if you're not hot. Keep checking the forecast as I'm sure the cold is still coming but it may vary by a day or so.

Outside of a few really cold days, hopefully it will be pleasant otherwise. Sadly coming to WDW in the "winter" is a mixed bag. It's not like summer where you know you'll always be sweating and experiencing a monsoon everyday. Winter is really a grab bag. I would only change your plans if you are extremely cold weather averse, have a medical condition, etc. Although, as busy as the parks are going to get, you may not have any luck swapping park res days, if you decide to skip the coldest day. I'm not a fan of the cold but if you dress right, you should be ok. Good luck and have fun!

Dress in layers and avoid water rides. As a local this weather is fabulous compared to August/September. But I understand that not everyone feels the same way 🤷‍♀️😊 bring a sweatshirt/zip up so you don’t have to buy the overpriced merch (unless you want to of course).

Don't be afraid to use your snowmobile suit at night, or plan on lots of indoor activities. That sounds ridiculous, but there is nothing more cold than the bone chilling damp cold of Florida (I'm from WI, I know cold).
Lived in Wi for 12 years but became a cold wimp after moving South. But I agree Florida cold feels worse. We went last March when it was upper 30s for the morning and I was shocked by how many people were standing around in shorts and tshirts absolutely miserable and complaining. Don’t people look at the weather forecast??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter