This time I'LL be the GUIDE!- Aug 2016 PTR (UPTD 8/12- first time for everything!)

Woo Hoo for Mickey Mail!!!!! :woohoo: party: :dance3: :jumping1:

Like my title refers to, I also pre-ordered the Memory Maker package.

It’s totally worth it! I love getting those nice photos of the group together and all the magic shots. I’m also the kind of person that likes to pose for ride photos so I was SUPER PSYCHED when Disney decided to include them in the package!

I’m also REALLY EXCITED about those ride videos!!!! :banana::banana:
Yes, these were definitely a great addition to Memory Maker! :thumbsup2

Yes, these were definitely a great addition to Memory Maker! :thumbsup2

I only know of the ToT and 7 Dwarves Mine train videos. I wonder which other rides have it?

I just found out that I can have an animated Zootopia magic shot taken!!! I'm such a big fan of Zootpia! :cool1:

PASSPORT PROBLEMS

Some of you may know that a couple of years ago, I officially added Yuki onto my legal name. Before the change, I had a Chinese name. It's Ban Hing if you care to know. All I did was add the Yuki as a first name and my Chinese name became my middle name.

I won't get into how DIFFICULT it was to get my name legally changed because I am a Chinese immigrant.

My passport is about to expire next year and my trip is less than 6 months from that date. Which means, I won't be able to travel to the States until I get it renewed.

I was supposed to change the name on my passport when I got it legally done a couple of years ago but China kind of got in the way.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when I gathered all the necessary documents I THOUGHT I needed to renew my passport with my new name.

Unfortunately, I was very wrong. Apparently, I was supposed to update my Certificate of Citizenship when I changed my name. I can only renew my passport with an updated certificate (which I don't have). I wasn't made aware of this when I had my name change. I also found out that if I were born in Canada, it would've been taken care of for me and I would already have it.

So I looked up what it took to update my Citizenship. The process takes FIVE MONTHS and requires me to get my parents' citizenships too, as well as the date I entered Canada (when I was less than 2 years old).

My trip is coming up in less than FOUR MONTHS and the name on my flight ticket is my new one. So I'm left with a few options.

Option A:
Apply for my citizenship. Pray that it arrives in time for me to renew my passport. Pay the expedite fee if necessary.

Option B:
Apply for my citizenship. Renew my passport with my old name. Bring my change of name documents when I travel to explain to them my name change (I've done this before because I made the mistake) and hopefully, they'll be understanding and change my ticket info for me. OR use my Driver's license with my new name on it as ID, since I'll be flying out of Buffalo and I've done it before.

Option C:
Apply for my citizenship. Renew my passport. My certificate arrives in time for me to renew it with my new name.

Option A is the BEST CASE SCENARIO because that 5 month processing time is meant to be the maximum time it takes.

Option B is tricky and I'm hoping the Buffalo airport still accepts Driver's Licenses as IDs when checking in? I remember doing this the last time we flew from Buffalo, just to see if I can, and it worked! But that was 3 years ago.

Option C is also a good scenario but it means I'll be paying for 2 passports but at least I won't have any trouble checking in.

There's also the option of changing the name on my ticket, but I think that would cost about $100-$200.

I am in quite the pickle right now and it's stressing me out. I hope it'll all get sorted out soon.

Last edited:
Coming out of lurkdom to say, call the airline and ask about changing your name on the ticket. It may cost you nothing and if not atleast you know and can move forward with the best approach. Although honestly I think even paying the name change on the ticket is the least stressful way to go and you don't need to be rushing around for the next four months. Sucks to pay the money but I think your sanity is worth it!

And I totally sympathize with you! What a cruddy thing to have happen and have to worry about! Ugh! There is always stress with a Disney vacation but you want it to be the ADR and Fastpass kind of stress!! Lol

Also I think you are wonderful for going with your family and being their guide! I decided a while ago I never want to go with a group, just my DFi! Then again if it's been awhile and someone makes the offer I would find it quite tempting!!!

I wish you all the luck with the passport and I hope the airline helps you out! Come up with a really sob story to tell them!! Lol

Coming out of lurkdom to say, call the airline and ask about changing your name on the ticket. It may cost you nothing and if not atleast you know and can move forward with the best approach. Although honestly I think even paying the name change on the ticket is the least stressful way to go and you don't need to be rushing around for the next four months. Sucks to pay the money but I think your sanity is worth it!

And I totally sympathize with you! What a cruddy thing to have happen and have to worry about! Ugh! There is always stress with a Disney vacation but you want it to be the ADR and Fastpass kind of stress!! Lol

Also I think you are wonderful for going with your family and being their guide! I decided a while ago I never want to go with a group, just my DFi! Then again if it's been awhile and someone makes the offer I would find it quite tempting!!!

I wish you all the luck with the passport and I hope the airline helps you out! Come up with a really sob story to tell them!! Lol

I think I'll do that! I hope American Airlines can be understanding. If I change the name, it means I'll have to go ahead and renew my passport with my old name and I guess...get ANOTHER new passport with my new name when I get my certificate?

I can't help but think this could all have been avoided if I had just known a couple of months ago!

Thank you so much! I'm more than happy to be their guide and give them a great trip. The real dilemma is trying to put my own preferences on the back burner since this is their first trip.

Going with a group is easiest when they all listen to me :cool2::cool2:

Hi Yuki!! I'm here! I'm so glad I've found you again! I've been following along on your journey too. Congrats on your marriage! You guys are so cute! And I can't believe you've been to 9 out of 10 Disney's in the world! Pretty awesome! Aside from WDW, which one is your favorite? I've only been to Tokyo DL when I was very young.

I came back from our last Disney trip in March. I turned 40 on that trip...yikes! We did a DCL cruise and then the parks. It was an amazing vacation. The TRs are in my siggy if you want to read.

I hope you get your passport thing sorted out, and hope it goes quickly for you! Your trips sounds like so much fun, although it will be hot in August!

Can't wait to hear more!

Sounds very complicated and stressful!

Yeah. It sort of makes me realize what it means to be a second-class citizen. :confused3

Hi Yuki!! I'm here! I'm so glad I've found you again! I've been following along on your journey too. Congrats on your marriage! You guys are so cute! And I can't believe you've been to 9 out of 10 Disney's in the world! Pretty awesome! Aside from WDW, which one is your favorite? I've only been to Tokyo DL when I was very young.

I came back from our last Disney trip in March. I turned 40 on that trip...yikes! We did a DCL cruise and then the parks. It was an amazing vacation. The TRs are in my siggy if you want to read.

I hope you get your passport thing sorted out, and hope it goes quickly for you! Your trips sounds like so much fun, although it will be hot in August!

Can't wait to hear more!

Su-Lynn!!!!! I'm so glad you're still here! I'll be right over to your new TR!!

Aside from WDW, I'd have to say Tokyo Disney Sea. The theming was just BEYOND AMAZING, the food was delicious, and the SERVICE of the Japanese people can't be beat! We spent two days there and 1 at TDL.

I don't think I ever thanked you for this, but THANK YOU for introducing me to packing cubes! They have literally changed my life for the better. I can't imagine travelling without them anymore. During my time in Asia, I fell in love with Muji~ I cannot recommend them enough. Their travel items are my absolute FAVOURITE. They recently opened their first store in Canada, right in Toronto, so I can now recommend it to my friends. So thank you SO MUCH for introducing me to them!

Here to join in. I will need to go back and read all of it before I can comment though! ;)

Sorry about the mix-up with the passport. What a mess............:faint:

Option A is the BEST CASE SCENARIO because that 5 month processing time is meant to be the maximum time it takes.
I think I'll do that! I hope American Airlines can be understanding. If I change the name, it means I'll have to go ahead and renew my passport with my old name and I guess...get ANOTHER new passport with my new name when I get my certificate?
I would get Option A started..........while you take the great advice about contacting American. At least your possible fallback plan is in motion, just in case you need it.

BTW, when you get the chance, check out the TR link in Poolrat's siggie if you don't have enough trips to follow already. :goodvibes

Hi Yuki !! What a mess with the passport!! When my Mom died I had about 2years before become a citizen of USA , I had waited till my Dad passed and he was always against it as he thought I would give up my Britsh citizenship.Well my British passport expired , I was a US citizen BUT NO passport.and a flight hurriedly booked in 3 days . Well with the help of my congressman office contacting the US Consulate in Toronto I was able to get an expediated one the day flight left.

Sorry you are having ID problems. I hope you can work through this one. I know it is stress you don't need.

Su-Lynn!!!!! I'm so glad you're still here! I'll be right over to your new TR!!

Aside from WDW, I'd have to say Tokyo Disney Sea. The theming was just BEYOND AMAZING, the food was delicious, and the SERVICE of the Japanese people can't be beat! We spent two days there and 1 at TDL.

I'd love to go to Disney Sea! Definitely a bucket list type trip!

I don't think I ever thanked you for this, but THANK YOU for introducing me to packing cubes! They have literally changed my life for the better. I can't imagine travelling without them anymore. During my time in Asia, I fell in love with Muji~ I cannot recommend them enough. Their travel items are my absolute FAVOURITE. They recently opened their first store in Canada, right in Toronto, so I can now recommend it to my friends. So thank you SO MUCH for introducing me to them!

You're welcome! It's so convenient when packing! I LOVE Muji. I shopped there when I was younger visiting family in Singapore. It's the best place! They have Muji stores in New York but they are smaller and not as extensive, but still it's great to have. I always get their little travel toiletry containers because I like to bring my own products and they are the perfect sizes and never leak! They are opening one in a mall near me in the summer. Very exciting!!

Here to join in. I will need to go back and read all of it before I can comment though! ;)

Happy to have you here Karin!!!

Sorry about the mix-up with the passport. What a mess............:faint:

I would get Option A started..........while you take the great advice about contacting American. At least your possible fallback plan is in motion, just in case you need it.

BTW, when you get the chance, check out the TR link in Poolrat's siggie if you don't have enough trips to follow already. :goodvibes

I already sent in my application. I'm thinking I'll give it two months to show up. If it isn't here by July, I'll just renew my old passport and contact American.

I'm already subscribed! Just catching up on the posts. There's never enough TRs to follow :goodvibes

Hi Yuki !! What a mess with the passport!! When my Mom died I had about 2years before become a citizen of USA , I had waited till my Dad passed and he was always against it as he thought I would give up my Britsh citizenship.Well my British passport expired , I was a US citizen BUT NO passport.and a flight hurriedly booked in 3 days . Well with the help of my congressman office contacting the US Consulate in Toronto I was able to get an expediated one the day flight left.

Oh my gosh, what a mess! It's great that it was all sorted out so fast. I hope I won't need to take drastic measures.

Sorry you are having ID problems. I hope you can work through this one. I know it is stress you don't need.

Thanks Tammie. I've calmed down a bit since I learned about it, but it still worries me.

I'd love to go to Disney Sea! Definitely a bucket list type trip!

Absolutely!!! That park blew my mind.

You're welcome! It's so convenient when packing! I LOVE Muji. I shopped there when I was younger visiting family in Singapore. It's the best place! They have Muji stores in New York but they are smaller and not as extensive, but still it's great to have. I always get their little travel toiletry containers because I like to bring my own products and they are the perfect sizes and never leak! They are opening one in a mall near me in the summer. Very exciting!!
Yess! I love their containers. They always have the right sizes. I also prefer their packing cubes because it's thinner and lighter and can fold into little packets, unlike most of the American ones.

Good luck with your passport issues Yuki. I'm sure that's stressful.

Thanks Glenn. Fingers crossed it all works out. Btw, what's your Instagram?

ITINERARY- For now

It's still too early to finalize plans because park hours may change but I already have some ADRs booked...so we'll see.

One of the perks of staying onsite are EMHs and I like to take advantage of them. I'm more of an Eve EMH kind of girl but this time it'll be half and half. :confused3

Day 1
drive to BUF at 4am
catch our flight at 8am
arrive in MCO around 1pm
get to resort around 2-3pm
our room should be ready, so we drop off stuff and get ready to head out
spend the rest of the day in Epcot (as per tradition)
Eat either at Sunshine Seasons or the ASMu foodcourt if we're REALLY hungry
FPs for Soarin and TT
Explore Future World
(if we're not TOO tired)
Go to Disney Springs during Illuminations
Grab an Earl and maybe some bath bombs from Basin
Eat back at the resort

Day 2
get up for Am EMH at AK
Safari first thing
Everest 2nd thing
FPs for Kali and afternoon Everest
Might try to brave Dinosaur :o
Will need to translate for my DU and DA when watching Nemo and Lion King
if the kids are up for it, do Wilderness Explorers
grab dinner at Flame Tree for consumption back at the resort
pool time before dinner

Day 3
get up for Am EMH at HS
TSM first thing
RnR and ToT second and third things
FPs for TSM,Star Tours, and ToT
Watch the shows and hopefully, my DU and DA know them well enough so I don't have to translate :upsidedow
if we do most of this by mid-morning, return to resort for a break
go back to HS for 2nd showing of Fantasmic

Day 4
rest day, wake up late (probably 9-10am?)
pool time at resort
Disney Springs shopping!
resort hop to PoR, WL, Poly, Pop and AoA
ADR booked for Cape May Cafe dinner buffet (My treat!)

Day 5
get up for Epcot rope drop
Sum of all thrills first thing
FPs for M:S and TT
Explore WS and save the world with Perry! (that's for me :thumbsup2)
I might make them watch O Canada! so the kids can appreciate our home
Have fish and chips for lunch
afternoon break back at the resort
Have either sandwiches from Norway or France for dinner
OR Tangierine Cafe :confused3
Take my DU and DA to a good Illuminations viewing spot and relieve them of the kids so they can enjoy some time to themselves ::yes::
watch Illuminations FOR THE FIRST TIME:scared1:
enjoy Eve EMH
return to the resort separately

Day 6
get up for MK rope drop
SM first thing
Buzz second if we have time
FPs for 7DMT, Peter Pan, and ETwB
ADR booked for 11am lunch at BoG (so lucky to grab this!)
Ride IASW if forced to
ride Haunted Mansion if my DC11 is brave enough (she's a scaredy cat)
do what we can in Liberty Square and Adventureland
have a turkey leg for lunch
return to resort for a break
get FP for evening Jungle Cruise or late afternoon Splash
watch Wishes on bridge to Tomorrowland
enjoy Eve EMH
if we're not too tired, pack up for tomorrow's check out

Day 7
wake up late (around 9am)
check out and have brunch in the foodcourt
our flight is 3pm
so DME will probably pick us up around 12pm
return to BUF around 6pm
planning on spending the night in BUF and returning to Toronto the next night, after exploring Buffalo

Ok, here are my questions to y'all!
I've never done Am EMH. Is it much emptier than just making rope drop?
Should I order BoG meal in advance?
Should I try to convince my scaredy cat DC to go on RnR and ToT?
Do you have any recommendations for fun in Buffalo area?
Should I book an ADR for something in HS? How is Sci-Fi Dine in?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter