• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This Baltimore mom rocks!

She repeatedly charged him after he was calmly walking away. Sorry, but in NO way is beating on your child teaching them anything positive. If a grown woman with children of her own can't behave in a normal cilvilized manner, what possible hope does her child have to do the same?

I absolutely agree with the mother's sentiment, which probably boils down to not wanting her kid to 1) get hurt, 2) get arrested, and/or 3) not participate in the violence (could be one or all of those, we'll never know).

I probably would have felt as enraged as she did upon seeing my child do such a thing. I don't think I would have resorted to bashing him about the head, though. I'd probably taken him by the scruff of his neck and hauled his rear end home.

I don't think that she is necessarily an absent, uncaring parent due to her child making poor choices. Kids, despite the best upbringing, can make bad decisions and that happens in poor and wealthy homes, homes with one parent or two, inner city or suburban families.

I do hope that boy got the message loud and clear that participating in the riots is not good for him or his community, aside from being dangerous and illegal.

She repeatedly charged him after he was calmly walking away. Sorry, but in NO way is beating on your child teaching them anything positive. If a grown woman with children of her own can't behave in a normal cilvilized manner, what possible hope does her child have to do the same?

Curious, how old are your children?

Now looking through the eyes of someone who is old enough to be your mother ( or maybe older ) that is NOT what I saw. I saw a wanna be gang banger punk kid dressed all in black and his face covered. I saw a desperate mother trying to rescue her stupid child from harm. I saw him defiantly trying to pull away from her and at one point it looked as if he might strike her. I saw her pull on that backpack to keep him within arms length. Then I saw him get slapped silly and disciplined and made to look like a fool in the neighborhood. I say good for her and that was no way a beating.

Curious, how old are your children?
10 and 12. They are both 1st Degree Level 2 Black Belts in Tae Kwon Do and show respect to every person they come into contact with regardless of the person's race, wealth, or attitude. We live in a diverse area and they know right from wrong. They also know that there would be dire consequences for improper behavior.

Don't get me wrong, this mother could be mother of the year in her everyday life, but in this brief moment caught on camera, I disagree that it was the right thing to do. I really could care less if anyone agrees with me or not. I have stated my opinion, nothing more.

10 and 12. They are both 1st Degree Level 2 Black Belts in Tae Kwon Do and show respect to every person they come into contact with regardless of the person's race, wealth, or attitude. We live in a diverse area and they know right from wrong. They also know that there would be dire consequences for improper behavior.

Don't get me wrong, this mother could be mother of the year in her everyday life, but in this brief moment caught on camera, I disagree that it was the right thing to do. I really could care less if anyone agrees with me or not. I have stated my opinion, nothing more.
My older two have 2 blackbelts in Tae Kwon Do as well. I am not sure what that has to do with anything.
My children - in front of me -always show respect for everyone they meet.
They are good kids - but I would never presume to think they never misbehave or show disrespect to others when I'm not there. I haven't heard otherwise - so I'm hoping it's true.
But seeing my kids friends away from their parents and working in a school system - I can tell you there are a lot of parents in the dark as to how their children really behave. And it's not pretty :-(

My older two have 2 blackbelts in Tae Kwon Do as well. I am not sure what that has to do with anything.
My children - in front of me -always show respect for everyone they meet.
They are good kids - but I would never presume to think they never misbehave or show disrespect to others when I'm not there. I haven't heard otherwise - so I'm hoping it's true.
But seeing my kids friends away from their parents and working in a school system - I can tell you there are a lot of parents in the dark as to how their children really behave. And it's not pretty :-(
I added that bit of info because it takes a lot of hard work and certain mindset to accomplish something like that at such an already difficult age. My kids are normal kids when it comes to playing around, but they know where the line is. Throwing rocks at cops is soooo far beyond that line. If they misbehaved around other parents, I would know about it. My son is the type that cannot tell a lie and cannot keep a secret to save his life. DD is better with secrets, but we have a very open relationship, and I hear more than I want to much of the time. Lol! No child is perfect, and no parent is either. I just don't agree with what this woman did and that's okay. :)

Whether the mother was right or wrong for striking her son is open for debate (as discussed here). I believe she did it out of anger/fear because A.)Her son ran the risk of getting himself seriously hurt B.)She didn't want him falling into the wrong crowd C.) She didn't want him adopting the notion that you solve problems through violence.

Bottom line is, we have a serious problem with policing as it pertains to the black community. This isn't something that just happened overnight; this is a result of decades (some would say generations) of racial inequality on both the social and economic front. Violence is not the answer, but people are fed up.

Things have to change in this country.

I can judge her just she was acting like a loon on the street beating her kid. Most kids would see their mom and run home. Not that kid she had to beat the crap out of him to get her message through to him. I am sure she regularly has no clue where her kid is at any given moment, good parents do.

I call BS. Good parents don't always know where their kids are at any given moment. Kids can lie, I have siblings who are prime examples of it and I know that I've done it as well. Am I proud of that? No, it got me into a stupid situation and I actually had to call my dad for help. And yes, I did get my a** handed to me when I got home for lying and not being where I said I was going to be. I never did that again either.

This is only an example though.

I think her intent was right and I do applaud that. But smacking him around isn't getting her anywhere. I would assume that's not the first time she's raised her hand to him--based on what I saw in the video and the language I heard spewing from her. So the kid's been taught that violence is the answer. Don't like what's happening, resort to violence and things will change. I do think her heart may be in the right place and at least she's doing something about it. But maybe she should have thought of this long before now.

Maybe if she would have been more attentive and a better mom before yesterday her kid wouldn't have been out there. One of the biggest problems in the inner cities are parents who aren't present for their kids and the lack of role models, especially from their fathers.

I wouldn't be in that situation because my kids wouldn't be out there. Oh and that's not me saying that, that's my kids telling me that when they saw it on the news today.

Are you volunteering to help out? Or just throwing stones?

That's not fair. You have no idea what kind of mom she has been to that boy. Ever hear of peer pressure? These kids get it tenfold with the streets they live on. Gangs, drugs, thugs, and whatever else. There is way more going on than parents. And IF she doesn't have a husband or active father in the kid's life, how is that her fault? She can't make the boy's father do anything.

Do you live in a neighborhood where gangs run rampant? Do your kids go to school and get offered drugs or to join a gang or get beat up? Do they have to be in fear walking home? If your answers are no, then you really can't judge this woman or her parenting skills.

totally agree with you. I taught in Baltimore for several years, you have no idea what these families lives are like unless you have been there.

Maybe if she would have been more attentive and a better mom before yesterday her kid wouldn't have been out there. One of the biggest problems in the inner cities are parents who aren't present for their kids and the lack of role models, especially from their fathers.

I wouldn't be in that situation because my kids wouldn't be out there. Oh and that's not me saying that, that's my kids telling me that when they saw it on the news today.

Perhaps she was at work, or off for the day and or like my job located downtown (I work for the University of MD medical center) and the let her go home early due to trying to keep people off the streets and safe. You don't know her situation and to sit in your arm chair and judge her parenting skills is an insult. NO parent including you can be there to hold their child's hand 24/7 and while we do our best to teach them right from wrong they still do stupid stuff - just as this kid did. From what I saw she at least is attempting to discipline her child - she's not on the tv saying how he should be given a pass simply because he's young.

I swear some ppl can't win for trying. If she does nothing she's wrong and gets ragged on - if she does something people have an issue in how she elects to correct her child's behavior. Darn if you do and darn if you don't. In the words of Method Man "you don't know me and you don't know my style".

That woman did exactly what every parent should do when their child acts a fool and endangers their own, and others, lives.
If there were a lot more like her, riots would never occur.
The part in the Good Book about "Spare the rod. Spoil the child" is 100% correct.
I'm a retired LEO and I've seen hundreds of kids who turned into crap because their parents didn't care, or were too busy having a good time, to discipline their kids when it was sorely needed.
I'd give that Mom in Baltimore a hug and kiss if I could..........

Yep and I feel no guilt about it. My husband and I were both raised in single, poor homes with absent fathers, neither of us have college degrees but we chose to give our kids a better life.

You shouldn't feel guilty for raising your family the way you and your husband want. Your kids, your choices. However, I just happen to be of mixed background and I was raised in a two parent family as were all of my older four siblings. All educated and being the youngest my brother and I even attended private schools. Parents had professions so we were exposed to various things our friends and other family members weren't. Grew up in a good home and taught many values. However, after graduating from college my brother made some poor choices - thankfully those choices weren't to the point where he ever fell into the hands of police or the wrong side of the law. However, he became an alcoholic and no one in my family ever had a drinking problem. His poor choices still haunt him to this day even after several attempts of getting his life back on track.

Your kids might surprise you and while may not do anything criminal they still might make poor choices where you and your husband may have to feel the judgement from others about your parenting skills that you are so willing to dish out to random people you know nothing about.

All hypothetical though...because after all your kids would never...:worship:

My parents were great parents. They worked hard and gave their kids a loving, caring two-parent, upper middle class upbringing. I'm still lucky I never wound up in jail or, even worse, dead, as a teenager. Don't ever fool yourself that you'll know at all times what your kids are up to. Where there is a will there's a way, and the smarter your kids are the easier it is for them to pull it off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter