Thinking of an add on at BLT...

Pennyguy23

DIS Veteran
We are here at the world right now and did the tour a couple days ago. At first we had no interest in CRV but after the tour we started thinking about it. Its just my wife and I right now, no kids yet.
We are young 25 & 23 so the extra years looks great also.

We have 150 SSR and 150 AKV

We are thinking of add on 100 points so we get the 5$ off and 100 DPs (which she said we can use on our next trip that I am coming down with my sister and her family Starting next sunday and just bank the points I used) So that is great

We would sell 50 AKV points because right now we don't need 400 points. But 350 does sound good:goodvibes

BLT has lower MF's then AKV so I would be saving money there

What do you guys think? Do you really think we will need to own to stay there. I LOVE the BCV and have been waiting for almost 2 years for an add on there. But 18 MORE years for BLT is really hard to pass up over BCV.

Anyone have any thought on this, I really can't decide, I have to figure it out in the next week because I would want to use the DP's this next trip next week.

Also are the rumors about them knocking the other wing down and building another over there still floating around?

Considering I'm on the verge of finalizing an add-on myself, I can tell you what my thought process has been on the subject.

At first I loved the idea of a Contemporary resort just for its location. Being able to walk into Magic Kingdom any time of the day is very attractive. But then when the first promotional photos of the rooms came out, I thought they were extremely ugly. The higher buy-in cost was also hard to swallow. So I cooled on the idea.

But then I got a chance to tour the models in person last October. Seeing the design in person gives a very different impression. What looked retro and 60's tacky in 2D felt elegant and warm in 3 dimensions. I especially liked the studios for their blend of color and elegance. The one bedroom has grown on me slower but it's still not bad.

Yet I still hemmed and hawed about it. Recent economic breakdowns shook a lot of buyer confidence in me. Now I'm at a point where I have to make a decision or pass on it forever.

Now, I'm looking to stay at the less common handicap accessible studio rooms. I figure demand will be high for them (being so close to MK and the monorail) and supply relatively low. The resort itself is only slightly larger than VWL and BCV.

I think regular rooms may yet be available at 7 mos, at least until the resort sells out. Then we'll see a few years of unbookable demand as new owners consume their purchase. Perhaps in another 5-7 years, once the kids have gotten older and MK loses it's thrill, owners will be spreading out through the system more.

Demand will probably be at its highest during the Christmas season. That includes all of December. Then Easter and October (for Halloween). Those all bring special events at MK and make it an easy draw for owners. Outside that time we'll probably see less demand.

On the economic side, I expect BLT to retain the highest return on initial investment. Being a signature property with such heritage, I expect DVC will be very aggressive in pursuing ROFR, especially on the smaller contracts. It already costs the most of ANY new resort to buy there.

I doubt MF will remain as low. More likely they'll level off to something equivalent to BWV. AKV always carries the extra drag of having to support the savannah wildlife as well.

As for the Garden Wing, something tells me that's just a blue sky idea at present. They need to sell out BLT and get it profitable before they can consider doing a sequel. And they already have Hawaii waiting in the wings for that. So if we see it, I wouldn't expect it for another 5-7 years.

I was waffling between a BWV add-on instead also due to its location. But that's a larger resort and I still was able to book a Boardwalk-View studio for the opening of Food & wine this past Fall. Those 12 fewer years (I own SSR) make it seem like a more unwise investment. (Also hurts that the place is older and has more inaccessible facilities.)

Ultimately my decision came down to how badly do I want to stay near MK during the Christmas season the next few years and how much do I absolutely need a roll-in shower HA room.

For you, I'd weigh the relative cost of selling those AKV points (is it at a loss) vs. the increased cost of BLT. Is your desire to stay at BLT so great you wouldn't be happy otherwise? 3 years is not really that important in the long run. After all, 20 years from now DVC will probably be offering a contract extension to everyone like OKW. However, I personally would not opt for a BCV add-on over BLT or AKV. Both those resorts are supposed to have even better pool facilities, which is really what sells BCV. You'd be paying a premium for something with less quantity (of years) and at least equal quality to the newer product on the market.

I think you should probably hang on to what you've got.

At 23 and 25 you need to be careful with your money especially right now. It sounds like selling and buying will cost you money. Therefore, I wouldn't do it.

300 points is plenty.

I think you should probably hang on to what you've got.

At 23 and 25 you need to be careful with your money especially right now. It sounds like selling and buying will cost you money. Therefore, I wouldn't do it.

300 points is plenty.

I'd have to take exception to the above statement. Their financial status is an unknown. Perhaps now (pre-kids, possibly dual-income) is the time to invest in their future vacation plans. None of us know for certain (since they did not mention finances) so let's not scare them off from taking action. :goodvibes

Wow....23 and 25, owning all those points....Congratulations!

I would buy BLT if you had to have it, wanted 11 month booking window and wanted MK view. Other then that, I would buy SSR resale and take my chances at the 7 month booking window.

FYI - We toured the BLT model last week and really, really liked the layouts of both the Studio and the one bedroom. The brochures and online pictures do not do the decor of the rooms justice. If BLT was built before AKV, we would own BLT now, instead of AKV.

I called my guide a minute ago to finalize our BLT add on(Even though he did not answer). Anyway we will have enough points to stay a week in a MK view every year, so that 11 month window is important. Hope it all works out for you.

boy that is alot of points.

got two 60 points contracts - so can do the MK view but only Sun-thurs - or stay twice in standard view.

87 points Sun-thurs MK view in Adventure season...

139 points for week in adventure season for MK view.

my reason was the MK period. will love BLT pretty sure. but walking back from the MK - especially now with Disney cutting back on employees - is worth the extra cost to me.

I would say go for it! I bought my points before I was married (with kids) and I am so glad I did it when I had the money!:)

Also just to make another point, you would only be able to sell that 50 points from AKV it it's a separate contract. Just figure I would mention it since no one else has.

-Thanks,
Wayne

What is the cost for BLT to add on. Is there a certain amount of points you need to buy to add on.

What is the cost for BLT to add on. Is there a certain amount of points you need to buy to add on.

If you're an existing member, 25 points minimum if paid in full, 50 if financing. After January 15, the minimum goes up to 100.

Anything under 100 points, goes for the going rate of $112 per point, no incentives. I forget what the over 100 point incentive is.

You can split contacts so this is the total number of points added on.

Wow....23 and 25, owning all those points....Congratulations!

I would buy BLT if you had to have it, wanted 11 month booking window and wanted MK view. Other then that, I would buy SSR resale and take my chances at the 7 month booking window.

FYI - We toured the BLT model last week and really, really liked the layouts of both the Studio and the one bedroom. The brochures and online pictures do not do the decor of the rooms justice. If BLT was built before AKV, we would own BLT now, instead of AKV.

I would rather have the lake view really, that is also something to consider. Since that would probably be the easiest to get, if easy is the word? We don't really need the points but I would like them;)

I would say go for it! I bought my points before I was married (with kids) and I am so glad I did it when I had the money!:)

Also just to make another point, you would only be able to sell that 50 points from AKV it it's a separate contract. Just figure I would mention it since no one else has.

-Thanks,
Wayne

We did the AKV in 3-50 point contract just for this reason. Because we really don't need 150 AKV points. 100 points at AKV would pretty good to go with the SSR and 100 BLT. Just still not sure what we want to do.

I would rather have the lake view really, that is also something to consider. Since that would probably be the easiest to get, if easy is the word? We don't really need the points but I would like them;)

Just be certain you aren't impulse buying. That's an easy thing to get sucked into after a nice tour and the beginning of ownership.

I do think the longer contract term (especially at your ages) makes BLT a wiser investment over BCV. But then I'm also not one who loves BCV. (For me, ownership there is all about the pool and the pool is no selling factor for me.) BWV is more attractive to me for the sake of the standard view rooms. When you can stretch your points further, it makes the fewer years more palatable.

Lake View rooms are probably the ones I'll be after too. And I suspect after the MK View newness wears off, they'll be in more demand. After all you have to look past a parking lot and monorail just to see the fireworks go off over Space Mountain (not the Castle as in the pictures... fireworks appear behind SM from that angle).

I'm not as convinced as others that BLT will be so easy to get at 7 mos. I think that's a lot of wishful thinking from the non-buyers. Fact is there's a lot of interest in BLT and the improvements made recently have seen regular room rentals go up. Being the only monorail resort and one that is *the* signature resort says to me it will continue to see a big draw. Especially if you're looking for the cheaper studios.

If you're looking for 100 points, then I suggest you hold on about 6 months. See if your interest remains as high as it is now.

I kept my Guide on hold 6 months before I actually purchased and I toured the models 3 times. And that was with 6-8 months prior knowledge and speculation of the resort. My Guide thought I'd be one of the founders what with my excitement for the project. But like you, I didn't "need" the points, just wanted them. That meant I had to ponder it long and hard. In the end, I saved up enough to just it all in full and I'm happy about the purchase. The only nagging doubt I have is whether this new reservation system makes my getting 3 days in a studio impossible.

Just be certain you aren't impulse buying. That's an easy thing to get sucked into after a nice tour and the beginning of ownership.

I do think the longer contract term (especially at your ages) makes BLT a wiser investment over BCV. But then I'm also not one who loves BCV. (For me, ownership there is all about the pool and the pool is no selling factor for me.) BWV is more attractive to me for the sake of the standard view rooms. When you can stretch your points further, it makes the fewer years more palatable.

Lake View rooms are probably the ones I'll be after too. And I suspect after the MK View newness wears off, they'll be in more demand. After all you have to look past a parking lot and monorail just to see the fireworks go off over Space Mountain (not the Castle as in the pictures... fireworks appear behind SM from that angle).

I'm not as convinced as others that BLT will be so easy to get at 7 mos. I think that's a lot of wishful thinking from the non-buyers. Fact is there's a lot of interest in BLT and the improvements made recently have seen regular room rentals go up. Being the only monorail resort and one that is *the* signature resort says to me it will continue to see a big draw. Especially if you're looking for the cheaper studios.

If you're looking for 100 points, then I suggest you hold on about 6 months. See if your interest remains as high as it is now.

I kept my Guide on hold 6 months before I actually purchased and I toured the models 3 times. And that was with 6-8 months prior knowledge and speculation of the resort. My Guide thought I'd be one of the founders what with my excitement for the project. But like you, I didn't "need" the points, just wanted them. That meant I had to ponder it long and hard. In the end, I saved up enough to just it all in full and I'm happy about the purchase. The only nagging doubt I have is whether this new reservation system makes my getting 3 days in a studio impossible.

Thanks for the Great input. I do appreciate it. It might just be in impulse buy, so I might just give it a bit and see what the next incentives that come around.

I would say wait. I think you will be able to get BLT with your other points at 7 months.

At least wait a while and than decide if you still want it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter