• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thinking about moving to a pet loop

jaredjohn4

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner
We are about 135 days out on a 22 day spring break trip. We have a premium site reservation. We just got a rescue dog. A beautiful 2 year old boxer/Labrador retriever. It is a great dog, but slightly timid. I was wondering two things, what are the chances I could move to a premium pet loop at this late time, and how quiet are the pets at Disney. Ours never barks, and slinks away from dogs that are barking. I have never really looked at the pet loops before. We have a 38 foot fifth wheel and she rides real well in the truck. Since we have been to the world several times, and will be there for an extended stay, we won't be going commando and think we can spend enough time with our new dog to make it all work. Thanks for any advice.

Every time we've gone we have been in a pet loop and no issues with barking. You'll have the additional fee for the pet but not really mentionable in terms of expense. I'd call and set it up because you don't necessarily end up on a pet loop just because you requested one. Disney reserves the right to place pet owners in typically non-pet loops if the demand exceeds their allocated sites.

Just call and add it. Easy as that.

Most...if not all...premium loops are pet loops, but I'd definitely call and add that to your reservation. There will be some barking, but it's not constant...typically when you walk by an rv with dogs inside. I know ours typically bark when someone walks by, but it doesn't seem to bother our dogs. We have one that is fearless and one that is more reserved. The pet fee is $5.00 a night. Happy Camping!

We maybe crazy. We've only had our sweet rescue dog two weeks, but she is a great dog. A scared, reserved dog that is slowly coming out of its shell. She walks on a leash well and never barks or jumps at people. Everyday she starts to turn back into a real dog, one step at a time. Now I would hate to leave her home for three weeks. I think we could enjoy the land of the mouse together.

First let me ditto Dashzap you will need the shot records . We love the 1800 loop There is a designated dog walking area at the back end along the canal We have a 37 foot class a MH and had plenty of room We saw some 5ers in the 42 foot range and class A's in 45 foot range with plenty of space It works for us and we will becoming down in Dec till end of Jan and we have 3 dogs One our old girl WookieBear is 13 and the other 2 are going to 10 months when we arrive so we'll see how well they adjust We've taken them Adventuring the first weekend they came to live with us and did well So now we'll take them to Disney for Christmas

I do think premium are pet loops, check to be sure. Similar situation, our dog was puppy friendly with other dogs, we got her into kennel there onsite for long day trips to the park. easy drop off and pickup. More barking at kennel then sites. Also we would leave radio or TV on to provide cover sound/white noise for dog, so she wouldn't go crazy ever time a camper next door came or went. I would test camp w dog asap if you can, especially if using a crate and its a new concept. Open it up at home and get the dog comfortable, toys and dog bed inside.

As others have mentioned, have it noted on the reservation to be safe. If something does happen where you don't or cannot bring her with you, no problem. No additional fee for the pet will be charged. You can still be in a pet loop without pets.

As for which loops are or are not pet loops, as has been mentioned, Disney reserves the right to designate any loop or site a pet loop (or site), so just because a loop is not publicly designated "Pet Friendly" doesn't mean you can't be in the loop/site. Reality is, it is up to Disney to make the determination. It does, however, make it more difficult to specify a loop of preference, because at this point your request should/would be limited to those sites which are designated publicly as Pet friendly.

Hope it all works out for you and your furry friend. I think it's awesome that you took in a rescue dog.

Congrats on your new family member!

Both of our lab boys are rescues and we traveled with them fairly shortly after each of them joined our family. You mentioned that you're not planning on going commando to the parks, and that will be great. Another thing to do is just to keep in the back of your mind that one of you might need to stay behind with her here and there. We did that with our first guy at WDW. One morning was an early planned one and he just wasn't relaxed and ready for a nap yet, and let us know that by barking as we walked away. DH stayed behind with him and had a nice chillaxing time at the Fort while DS and I had a fun morning at the Studios. It actually worked out really nicely to be able to spend one on one time at the parks (and DH didn't complain about kicking back at the Fort!)

Another tip for RV travel with dogs - make sure the leash is clipped on before opening the door when you're at rest stops and gas stations, or anywhere actually...we saw a close call a year or so ago at a rest stop. We've always leashed up before opening the door, but after seeing that close call in the parking lot (and the freeway so near by! ) it made me start checking twice to be sure my guys are secured.

Best wishes on your upcoming trip with your rescue. We recently came back from the Fort with our 2 dogs (one of them a very timid rescue as well). As others have mentioned, it helped the dogs by spending more time with them and less time in the parks. We put a Nest camera in the 5th wheel and were able to monitor the dogs remotely while away from the RV. We did discover that our non-rescue dog had separation anxiety when were gone. Our rescue did very well for her 1st trip. She doesn't like thunderstorms nor fireworks, so the nightly fireworks at MK were a little challenging.

A nest camera sounds like a great idea. We are trying to introduce her to other people, but it is slow going. She loves us, but not thrilled if someone new comes into her house and sits down, just at the door is fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter