Thinking about first DCL- help requested

Banana22

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are thinking about our first Disney Cruise with our 5 yr old DD and our not-quite 2 DS. This would be our first cruise experience.
Leaving out of Port Canaveral, where do you typically stay the night before to be close to the port?
Also, if we were planning on tacking on a few nights after our return to enjoy the beaches, what areas should we look to be in? Any specific beaches or attractions that are must do?

Any advice for first-timers would be appreciated! Thanks

Welcome to Disney Cruising!

We like to stay in WDW the night before the cruise, however many people stay near the port too. It really comes down to what your plans are for that day.

I'm not familiar with many beaches in the area but I'm sure someone else will help you there.

There is a state park right there at port if you want to use their beach. Or you are farily close to melbourne and the new smyrna beach area. If you want to stay Disney, go a little further south to Vero Beach. It is pretty easy to get from Vero beach back to the Orlando airport.

We fly in early and like to stay in Cocoa Beach. My girls can't get enough of the ocean, so on our next cruise, we're staying at Cocoa Beach Comfort Inn & Suites again , pretty much right on the beach (has beach access ) and things to do in walking distance. They have a park and cruise option if you'll have a car (also a fly and snooze ) and transportation to the port. I've always wanted to go to the Kennedy Space Center, which is close by. Happy planning!

We just did this! We flew in 2 days before our cruise, got a rental car from MCO, and stayed at the Hilton in Cocoa Beach. We spent one day at the beach, and one day at Kennedy Space Center. We had a FANTASTIC time. We stayed at another hotel in Cocoa Beach and had a horrible, bug filled experience, and late night switched to the Hilton where we were treated like gold, and they helped our PJ dressed kids and luggage to our room. I would stay there again in a HEARTBEAT.

I prefer the Doubletree over the Hilton in Cocoa Beach, which is weird because usually, a Hilton blows a Doubletree away. The Hilton is fine, but it just seems like the Doubletree has had some more recent refurbishment and TLC. Plus, the Hiltons don't give you big warm chocolate chip cookies when you check in like Doubletree does.

Both are right on the beach, so you really can't go wrong with either if playing in the ocean is a priority.

Absolutely get in the day before (at least). There is a new homewood suites that is the closest hotel to the port, and you can see the ships from the hotel.

Whoever you book with look for the best credit back to you. Everyone sells the cruise for the exact same price as DCL so the best thing to do is look for what the TA gets to you in return for the booking. I use Costco because you get a costco cash card worth 8 to 9 % of your cruise cost. Nobody has found any TA to offer any better OBC or incentive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter