Things to do while waiting in line.

Take photos of my family. I'm also on the lookout for photo ops that I can add as embellishments to a scrapbook. So, for example, if there's a wall with a character on it, or the ride title, I'll take a photo of it. Other than that, we're talking or the kids are fooling around, but not in an annoying others way. There are also kids leaning on us, thinly disguised as hugs.

People watch, Heads Up, talk, plot out "what's next", thumb wars...

I remember playing "who has the acorn" when our son was 4 and he was getting restless waiting for FOTLK. I found one on the ground and we (DH, my parents, and sister) took turns holding it in a closed fist and he loved trying to figure out who had it! That acorn ended up coming with us and was used again.

Our son is an avid reader and he always brings a book (which security likes to give him a hard time about!) He reads on the bus, reads while we walk through the queues, reads while we wait for food... He ran out of books he had brought with on one trip so we started buying Kingdom Keepers for him. He was burning through them so fast we had to hide the last one so he would have something for the plane ride home!

We people watch and talk about what we see (good and bad). It's almost like a weird bingo game. Which now I am thinking I should make. Center square - someone pushing a double stroller with no kids in it.

Talk about our favorite memories we've made so far during the trip, look for hidden mickeys, apps sometimes. But we usually won't wait more than 1/2 hr- 45 min for anything so it's usually not too bad.

Yep. Never more than 20-30 for us. We've been to WDW enough times that if we skip something due to a line it's no big deal. Lat November it was Test Track.

Talk to each other, people watch, play I Spy, Rock/Paper/Scissors, this game we play where you say a food/city and then the next person has to name a food/city that starts with the last letter of the word just said.

We play the alphabet game (go around and name an animal that starts with each letter of the alphabet, then choose a different category) and will probably play the newest guessing game that my children have invented. The one we are playing right now is that you get a starting letter and an ending letter and everyone tries to guess the word.

Mostly, we talked about our plans for the day. When we went in September, the lines were fairly reasonable. I don't really remember waiting in line for anything for too long. In Soarin', they have a game on the wall that you can play on your phone. I took that everywhere with me, and I played even if I wasn't technically in the Soarin' line.

I also played a lot of Pokemon Go. And I took pictures of everything. When we were in the Soarin' line, we were making our guesses aloud to each other, and the family behind us asked what we were doing and how to play. So we ended up talking to them. (That was really fun!)

We also ate lunch at a table in Be Our Guest with a pair of women we didn't know, but they were super nice, so it wasn't too uncomfortable. I think my strategy when talking to people at Disney isn't so much 'Oh hey, I'm striking up this conversation purposefully' and more 'This just kind of happened, but I'm okay with it'. And at the end of your vacation, if you're getting tired of your present company, it's totally welcomed to talk to people outside of you and your family. I had had enough of my mom by the end of our trip in September. I love her, but it was nice to talk to other people!

You can always get a Hidden Mickey book and try to find them in the queue. There's always the strategic planning of your next ride from wherever you are. I tend to zigzag all over the parks, but other people might make a beeline for a ride that's got a much smaller line. You can always check/double check your ADRs or pre-plan your meals. I had done all of the planning, so I caught my mom up on what we were doing and she looked at the menus on her phone so when we got to dinner, we had a plan of attack.

I can't wait to try Heads Up in April! That'll be fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter