Things to do in the Ohio, Indiana, Chicago area

I haven't but how funny!!! I'm sure I missed it by now, but oh my goodness :rotfl:

Hey ps, I love your husker/hoosier line :thumbsup2

Thanks.

They are doing it again next year, but it was lots of fun. Kinda funny though to see the drunk people sitting on that big round bench that spins under the Chiluly sculpture.

Ceder Point while it is great. Is not family friendly. We are less then 2 hours away and we don't take our kids there. Toledo zoo is only 10 min off of the turn pike. It's a nice zoo, but it's a zoo. We just got back from Chicago, our family loved Lego land, Shedd aquarium, and Science and Industry.

Wow, I beg to differ. We find CP very family friendly and we have four kids. Love the fact that there are kids areas generally within a few minutes walk of the major rides. The only one that is a bit of a far stretch is Mavrick and one other.

My husband takes the younger two and goes to the kids area and I take the older two and go to the bigger roller coasters.

We have a blast going two times a year, regular season and Halloweekends. Even their Halloween stuff is toned down a bit when younger kids go through it.

I will admit a few rides I have issues with (Train is not family friendly unless you are doing the complete round trip) and they seem to have removed three family friendly rides (space needle; wild mouse; and disaster transport).

Kids even love the water park so much they barely make it away from the entrance with the big dump bucket or the pirate ship area.

It's neat to see how many people live near me! I am not far from Toledo as well.
My DD love Cedar point, I used to, but I no longer care for thrill rides and the kiddie rides are very kiddie. Not many in between rides. I also find it dirty, but I have become a Disney snob.

Toledo has an excellent zoo. I think both Columbus and Cincinnati are way out of your way. It's a good 2 1/2 hours to Columbus alone from the turnpike.

The safari is nice. I've not done it, but I have had family that has and loves it.
The Ft. Wayne Childrens zoo is also very nice.
If you stop in Sandusky for Cedar Point or any other attractions in the area, they also a Kalahri (as well as great Wolf Lodge and Castaway bay) waterpark hotels.
I believe Indiana has some Amish country not too far off the beaten track too.

Ohio:

Cedar Point - takes 2 days to see everything.

Kalahari Water Park http://www.kalahariresorts.com/ohio

African Safari Wild Life

Sauder Village http://www.saudervillage.com/home/default.asp

In downtown Cleveland right on the lake is the Rock Hall museum next door (a short 5 minute walk) is the Science Center, there is a GoodTime Cruise ship on the other side of the Rock Hall that will take you on a 2 hour narrated tour of lake Erie and the river.
Not far - just a short free trolley ride from the Rock Hall- you can catch an Indians game.

Here is a link to a vacation guide book for Ohio http://consumer.discoverohio.com/visitorinformation/requestmaterials.aspx

I have heard the aquarium is pricey and small.

Of all the things in and around Ohio I suggest the Henry ford museum/greenfield village. The zoo are great in the area but they're zoos, Cedar Point is awesome but its a amusement park. If your hungry heading through Toledo get off the turnpike head north on Reynolds hang a right Heatherdowns ideal hotdog is on the left get the chilli Mac.

Of all the things in and around Ohio I suggest the Henry ford museum/greenfield village. The zoo are great in the area but they're zoos, Cedar Point is awesome but its a amusement park. If your hungry heading through Toledo get off the turnpike head north on Reynolds hang a right Heatherdowns ideal hotdog is on the left get the chilli Mac.

Is that place still open? I thought it closed? I just know I never liked it. But I swore the building got torn down.

Is that place still open? I thought it closed? I just know I never liked it. But I swore the building got torn down.

I hope not i have no idea though i have been in colorado since May 2011. The rest of their food isn't very good but a half and half chili Mac was one of the only good things toledo had left.

I hope not i have no idea though i have been in colorado since May 2011. The rest of their food isn't very good but a half and half chili Mac was one of the only good things toledo had left.

Oh come on! Tony Packo's and Loma Linda's are still there.Oh yeah, and Sofo's and the Toledo Club.
Sorry, I got off topic! Cincy, Indy and C-Bus are too far off course coming from Jersey to Chicago. Lot's of good suggestions otherwise across America's Rollercoast. I would add a day trip to Kellys Island, skip Cedar Point until your kids are older. Sauder Village is nice. Sandusky has the Merry go Round Museum, take a ferry to Kelly's then on to East Harbor State Park to do the Erie Beaches for free. Stop for the night at maybe Kahlihari.
I could chart this out so fast with ideas, mostly cheap and fun and never veering off the road from NJ to Chicago very much depending on my kids ages.::yes:: Been there, done that too many times.

we're heading through in August, and we are big zoo people. Dd15 will work in one some day, most likely. Which Ohio zoo is the best? We were thinking Columbus, but I'm seeing different opinions. IF she can get a friend to tag along, we will also add CP, but I don't think it'll be much fun for her with just me, lol.

Oh come on! Tony Packo's and Loma Linda's are still there.Oh yeah, and Sofo's and the Toledo Club.
It was joke more on the city than the food. It was a joke though I love toledo we are actually moving back after a trip to DL in April. We don't do much sit down dining but Angelo's (while not actually in toledo) is the best in town IMO.

we're heading through in August, and we are big zoo people. Dd15 will work in one some day, most likely. Which Ohio zoo is the best? We were thinking Columbus, but I'm seeing different opinions. IF she can get a friend to tag along, we will also add CP, but I don't think it'll be much fun for her with just me, lol.

Columbus without a doubt, haven't been to cincy though. I actually really like Detroit, while the exhibits aren't the best there is a really cool old school feel to it. Still say cubs though.

In Shipshewana, Indiana, go to the Dutch Creek Animal Park. You are driven around the property by the owner and get to feed many animals. Our family loved it so much we plan to go again.

In the western suburbs of Chicago, I think your children would love the Children's Garden at the Morton Arboretum.

There is also a Children's Museum in the western burbs of Chicago in Naperville, IL that is really nice. We also love the Brookfield Zoo. They have a new bear/buffalo exhibit that is really nice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter