Things to do in the Ohio, Indiana, Chicago area

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by HookedOnDiz, Feb 12, 2013.

1. lovin'DVC

lovin'DVC Mouseketeer

I drove that way last summer with 3 of my kids, ages 11-13. We visited Wolf Park in Battle Ground, IN, and the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago. The kids loved both. There were many more museums in Chicago that we would have visited, if we had the time.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Funfire240

Funfire240 DIS Veteran

If you're coming by on 80/90 the Sandusky/Port Clinton area has much more to offer than just Cedar Point. I saw someone mention the drive thru safari and that is alot of fun. There are also water parks, mini golf, etc.
    I have to also agree with the Toledo Zoo (Of course I'm a member so I always push it :) ) We are there a lot year round. THe downfall, there isn't much else exciting in the Toledo are in my opinion. Just east of Toledo is Maumee Bay Resort which is really nice but I don't really trust or recommend swimming in Lake Erie

4. ICF

ICF DIS Veteran

As you're not really going to be near Indianapolis (dead middle of the state), you may want to stop by the campus of Notre Dame in South Bend. It should be pretty close to the route you're taking and is a very nice campus -- although not quite as pretty as it is in the fall.

5. icicle

icicle Mouseketeer

6. minnierocks

minnierocks DIS Veteran

Will you be traveling near Pittsburgh? The kids science museum there is awesome!

7. golf4miami

golf4miami Mouseketeer

Cedar Point. The Roller Coaster Capital of the World.

No place better for thrill rides. Of course I may be biased since I used to work there. :thumbsup2

8. CluelessDisFan

CluelessDisFan DIS Veteran

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Christmas Story house in Cleveland. Also a short way off of 80/90. If you're a Christmas Story fan, that's a quickie, but a goodie! Just google it for more info.

9. zoo2tycoon

zoo2tycoon DIS Veteran

I'd second the suggestions of Indianapolis Children's Museum and The Fort Wayne Children's Zoo. Also in Fort Wayne is Science Central- a hands on kids science learning center...it is great also.

Cedar Point is great- but it takes at least a day and depending on time when you get there you could have crowds.

Have fun!

10. daughtersrus

daughtersrus DIS Veteran

I'm not sure what you're plan are in Chicago but Brookfield Zoo, just outside of Chicago is very nice. In Chicago, there's the Shedd Aquarium, Science and Industry, Field, Art Institute, the glass ledge on the Willis (Sears) tower and also Lincoln Park Zoo.

11. momz

momz DIS Veteran

Have enjoyed reading this thread. Will be having a staycation for spring break this year and am getting some great ideas for day trips.

12. lilmrsellis

lilmrsellis Wishing upon a star...

Take them to a Cincinnati Reds game!! I guess a Cleveland Indians game or a Chicago Cubs/White Sox game would work, too :P

13. mrsklamc

mrsklamc <font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what

Where from? I can make a ton of suggestions in the Indy area for a staycation that I wouldn't necessarily suggest driving all the way from New Jersey for.

14. HookedOnDiz

HookedOnDiz Mouseketeer

OP here. Thanks to everyone for their input. There are lots of great ideas posted here. I will be checking them all out on the internet and trying to figure out which ones will work best for us. You guys were a big help. :)

15. hops&dreams

hops&dreams DIS Veteran

OP - I'm from Chicago, lived in northwest Indiana, moved to (and currently live and work in) Indy, and have family in Cincinnati and Toledo.

I am with others - Indy children's museum is second to none - there's something for every age, from 6 months to 100 years! When we first moved to Indy, DD was only 2, and we went to the museum every weekend for 4-6 hours for 5 weeks in a row. Neither DH or I got bored, and DD absolutely LOVED it!

Toledo, Cincinnati, and Indy all have decent zoos. The monkey/gorilla house at Brookfield Zoo in Chicago is awesome though. If you do that zoo, please be aware that it is spread out! There are also peacocks roaming the property, which is neat for the kids. The Lincoln Park zoo is a great one to hit in a day or less, and it's free :-)

If it's summer, a cool place to hit just outside of Chicago is Deep River Water Park. It is between Merrillville and Valparaiso. And if you stop to go to that (great thing to do on a hot day - they have a wave pool, lazy river, different types of slides - tube and body - kids areas...) you might also think about stopping in at Albanese Candy Factory, where you can sample the goods for free!, and Taltree Railway Garden (my company built it!). It's a scale model train garden, and everything is in miniature. My DD loves going there, but it's like a 1-2 hour stop. The candy factory is a 1 hour stop, the water park can be all day, or at least a very good chunk of a day.

Fair Oaks Farms has been mentioned as well, and I think it's a really neat place to visit. We took our DD there and took the whole tour, and I found it fascinating to find out exactly how the milk gets to my table. And if you eat there, stop in the cafe - their chocolate milk is delicious, their grilled cheese sandwiches are divine, and their ice cream is heavenly!!! So rich and creamy and it's so inexpensive for a cone! (under $2 for a kids double?)

And if you have girls, you should be sure to check out the American Girl Place in Chicago - But hold on to your wallet!!! those prices are:faint: but the quality of their products is phenomenal!

16. RedsDrew

RedsDrew Mouseketeer

Hey there! I live in Columbus, Ohio and I work in Cincinnati, Ohio (yes I make that commute daily uggggh). So everyday I travel just under half way across the state.

I can say that both the Cincinnati and Columbus zoos are awesome. They are both in the list of top zoos. Jack Hanna, the animal guy featured on television regularly got his start at and still calls the Columbus zoo home.

Columbus also has COSI (Center of Science and Industry) which is a hands on "museum" like experience that explores all avenues of science and energy. (the website is http://www.cosi.org/) and Columbus is home to a replica of the Santa Maria and the website (http://www.santamaria.org/index.php) says this: "More than 500 years later, you can tour the world's most authentic, museum-quality replica of Christopher Columbus' flagship." There's also Easton Town Center (www.eastontowncenter.com), which is a 90-acre shopping mecca with both and indoor and outdoor mall.

Cincinnati has 3 theme parks with amusement rides: Kings Island (www.visitkingsisland.com), Coney Island (www.coneyislandpark.com) which is home to the second largest wave pool in the USA (Typhoon Lagoon is No. 1), and Cincinnati has an amazing Children's Theater (www.thechildrenstheatre.com) and the award-winning MadCap Puppets, an awesome puppeteer group that puts a mondern, new age spin on an old art (www.madcappuppets.com).

Dayton, Ohio is home to the United States Airforce Museum where you can tour previous Presidential airplanes (former Air Force Ones) and explore a variety of aircraft through out the years.

17. rachelmarisa

rachelmarisa chase the morning, yield for nothing

I'm third-ing these recs! The Indy Children's Museum is awesome!!!

and Holiday World.. it's so corny and great. And much cheaper, cleaner, and has better food than Kings Island and Cedar Point.

18. Mom_Rides

Mom_Rides DIS Veteran

I would agree with the others on things like Cedar Point, the Lake Erie Islands, Sauder Village, The Dum Dum Tour in Bryan OH (which I've not done yet but want to) and The Toledo Zoo. I'd also recommend The Hayes Presidential Center in Fremont Ohio, especially the home tour. It's a really neat tour and the workers have replicated the house to when President Hayes lived there. If you visit the Toledo Zoo, you might want to check to see if The Mud Hens are playing. They are the farm team for The Detroit Tigers and the games are a lot of fun and the park is very family friendly. Go Hens!!

If you head to the islands area I'd recommend eating at The Jolly Roger in Port Clinton. It's a hole in the wall dive but they have the BEST Lake Erie perch and walleye!

19. mrsklamc

mrsklamc <font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what

The Indianapolis Indians also play at one of the best minor league parks, Victory Field at White River State Park...

Since there are obviously several Indy people on this thread, did you all see about the "Adult Swim" night coming up at the children's museum? A friend said "It's about time someone figured out they need to serve alcohol at that place. :lmao:

20. Mom-to-2-Princesses

Mom-to-2-Princesses Lovin' It!

I would suggest a stop at a Lake Michigan Beach! The Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is near Michigan City, IN. If you wanted to head more into Michigan you could see Warren Dunes State Park which is located in Bridgman, MI.

In addition, the South Bend Chocolate Company does tours every hour and is located just minutes off the turnpike. It is a fun tour and the store carries 2nds at a great price.

And I second the tour of Notre Dame -- cool place and the Basilica is amazing.

Have fun!

21. rachelmarisa

rachelmarisa chase the morning, yield for nothing

I haven't but how funny!!! I'm sure I missed it by now, but oh my goodness :rotfl:

Hey ps, I love your husker/hoosier line :thumbsup2